Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question: what engine is in this kit? TIA!

• Luc Janssens changed the title to Question: what engine is in this kit? TIA!

I know it is a small block Chevy engine with something like a Turbo 350 or 400 automatic transmission.  I think it is commonly referred to as an LT engine.  I don't remember if a specific displacement size was listed on the box or the instructions.  If you do a search on eBay you can see pics of the engine on some of the boxarts.  That kit was based on the Monogram '37 Ford Street Rod Fat Fender kit that was orange on the box, but I think it used a different air cleaner.

Steve A.

• Thanks 1

Generic small block Chevy Like David said above, it could be any displacement SBCs came in or a "crate engine" so 302, 305, 327, 350, 383,400, but since the kit came out in the late '80s, it probably supposed to be a 350. 

Wouldn't be a "LT" engine as they were the fuel injected "generation II" SBC that came out until '92 in the Vette and looks a lot different then a carbureted engine. [unless the rare '70 LT-1 from '70]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Generic small block Chevy Like David said above, it could be any displacement SBCs came in or a "crate engine" so 302, 305, 327, 350, 383,400, but since the kit came out in the late '80s, it probably supposed to be a 350. 

Wouldn't be a "LT" engine as they were the fuel injected "generation II" SBC that came out until '92 in the Vette and looks a lot different then a carbureted engine. [unless the rare '70 LT-1 from '70]

There were 3 iterations of the LT1 engines:

• 1970's 350 small block with solid lifters in Camaro and Corvette
  • 1990's which you referenced
  • 2014 LS derived direct port injection, again in Corvette and Camaro

The depicted version above has a single carbureted small block Chevy.  Two other versions I have (some Coupes) have that as well.  The GoodGuys version coupe has that and an option for 1990's LT1 using the same block.  I didn't check the parts trees to see if there were options other than the instructions

35 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

There were 3 iterations of the LT1 engines:

• 1970's 350 small block with solid lifters in Camaro and Corvette
  • 1990's which you referenced
  • 2014 LS derived direct port injection, again in Corvette and Camaro

The depicted version above has a single carbureted small block Chevy.  Two other versions I have (some Coupes) have that as well.  The GoodGuys version coupe has that and an option for 1990's LT1 using the same block.  I didn't check the parts trees to see if there were options other than the instructions

Actually, I did refer to the '70 LT-1,, right there at the bottom in brackets. 

But, like David said, it could be almost anything. Unless it has casting numbers on the back of the block.

Just thought of something though, unless it has an extra space for a freeze plug on each side of the block, it probably isn't a 400.

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Actually, I did refer to the '70 LT-1,, right there at the bottom in brackets. 

But, like David said, it could be almost anything. Unless it has casting numbers on the back of the block.

Just thought of something though, unless it has an extra space for a freeze plug on each side of the block, it probably isn't a 400.

Sorry I missed that.  The detail on a lot of the engines usually does not include freeze plugs.  I do have the kit in the stash and can pull it out to check.

This is a very well rendered engine IMHO. There were full size vehicles that used an SBC but in scale sometimes the engine can look a little small in the engine bay. Using this 1/24 engine fixes that problem. All the Monogram 37 Fords had this engine with various intake options.