Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fitting Interior Tub To Body

I don't know how many times I have completed a model to the point where it's time to fit the interior tube into the body and it doesn't fit.  For me it's always the windshield or dash that is the issue.  I hate tearing things back apart.  How do you fellows trial fit the interior tub to the windshield prior to glueing?

Edited by Zippi

• Zippi changed the title to Fitting Interior Tub To Body

For a windshield, I would use masking tape to secure it to the body.

I'm big on mock-ups. By the time I finish a model, much of it has been together and apart again dozens of times. It goes a long way to reducing the number of issues at final assembly, though I must say, it does not eliminate them. There is almost always something significant that goes together very well in a mock-up but, maddingly, still doesn't want to fit smoothly at final assembly. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off not doing frequent mock-ups... at least there would be an excuse for things not fitting at final assembly.

Edited by Bainford

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

For a windshield, I would use masking tape to secure it to the body.

I'm big on mock-ups. By the time I finish a model, much of it has been together and apart again dozens of times. It goes a long way to reducing the number of issues at final assembly, though I must say, it does not eliminate them. There is almost always something significant that goes together very well in a mock-up but, maddingly, still doesn't want to fit smoothly at final assembly. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off not doing frequent mock-ups... at least there would be an excuse for things not fitting at final assembly.

2 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

One thing I do on the windshield is test fit first and if there anything hanging below the bottom of the cowl, I trim it down until it is flush. Same for the backlight. Then put the interior together temporarily and test fit. 

Thank's for the info Trevor and Roger.

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Another thing to consider is doing a test fit after you have everything painted a final time. It's amazing how the thickness of paint can alter how things fit together.

Absolutely.

This is the biggest issue with fitment that I run into with my projects.

I have a habit of being too precise with fit during the engineering phase, and with the addition of paint, it can occasionally become a problem later.

Steve

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Absolutely.

I have a habit of being too precise with fit during the engineering phase, and with the addition of paint, it can occasionally become a problem later.

Steve

👍👍

As others have pointed out, a trial fit in advance of any gluing or painting can show fitment issues. I have found it amazing how just a little minor fit issue with the interior sides and dash become huge problems when you try and fit the interior into the body and the glass. A little adjustment and sanding ahead of time can save you more time than you realize. 

On 10/27/2022 at 1:25 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Absolutely.

Steve

I realize the OP is talking about interiour tubs but Steve's comment here is especially true when it comes to hoods fitting.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:56 AM, espo said:

As others have pointed out, a trial fit in advance of any gluing or painting can show fitment issues. I have found it amazing how just a little minor fit issue with the interior sides and dash become huge problems when you try and fit the interior into the body and the glass. A little adjustment and sanding ahead of time can save you more time than you realize. 

Thanks for the info.

On 10/28/2022 at 12:34 PM, Kit Karson said:

Consider a final mockup (or at any stage along the way) temporarily assembled using water-soluble white glue. Some have said RC56 works quite well but may take a bit longer to dissolve. -KK

I appreciate the tip.