Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '72 Ford F-250 w/Plow


niteowl7710
 Share

Recommended Posts

Box art models are traditionally built without instructions or decals and under severe time constraints (2-3 week turn arounds). Finding people who can build things in that manner at that speed in a neat and clean manner suitable for use in promotions is hard enough. Expecting them to be an expert in the car/truck at hand, or have the time to research small details is pretty much impossible. 

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Box art models are traditionally built without instructions or decals and under severe time constraints (2-3 week turn arounds). Finding people who can build things in that manner at that speed in a neat and clean manner suitable for use in promotions is hard enough. Expecting them to be an expert in the car/truck at hand, or have the time to research small details is pretty much impossible. 

What James said. That's the way it was in the 1970's when I did box art and national annual sales meeting display models for AMT, and pretty much the same today from what I hear.  Dave Darby can probably add further insight on this.  Plus, the pay (as an hourly rate) is very minimal, too.   TB  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Box art models are traditionally built without instructions or decals and under severe time constraints (2-3 week turn arounds). Finding people who can build things in that manner at that speed in a neat and clean manner suitable for use in promotions is hard enough. Expecting them to be an expert in the car/truck at hand, or have the time to research small details is pretty much impossible. 

It shouldn't take an expert to know there's trim around glass. Even then, a five minute Google search is all it takes. Ten minutes to paint the trim. That's fifteen minutes total. Even if you doubled that time, that's only thirty minutes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

It shouldn't take an expert to know there's trim around glass. Even then, a five minute Google search is all it takes. Ten minutes to paint the trim. That's fifteen minutes total. Even if you doubled that time, that's only thirty minutes. 

I suspect point of personal pride aside to do the best you can with what you're given, whomever built the box art model for this (since it's the same one as their table display model) also built the Ramp Truck, the 67 250 and the "Day 2" 4x4 that's still coming. Four models in maaaaaybe a months worth of deadline (if you're super lucky) for a pittance that means building box art models isn't your actual job. I wonder how much research you'd actually do to take things to that level of accuracy. Based on everything I've seen of box art/display models over time...it'll be everything possible just to get them done and out the door on deadline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I suspect point of personal pride aside to do the best you can with what you're given, whomever built the box art model for this (since it's the same one as their table display model) also built the Ramp Truck, the 67 250 and the "Day 2" 4x4 that's still coming. Four models in maaaaaybe a months worth of deadline (if you're super lucky) for a pittance that means building box art models isn't your actual job. I wonder how much research you'd actually do to take things to that level of accuracy. Based on everything I've seen of box art/display models over time...it'll be everything possible just to get them done and out the door on deadline.

Further to James' point, to the best of my knowledge, Dave Metzner himself builds the Moebius box art models. 

Dave is a really, really busy man with all the Moebius projects he is currently overseeing, of which some underway are not known to most of the hobby yet.  I am sure he invests the best amount of available time to build his box art models in combination with all the other responsibilities and activities that account for his time.   Think of it this way - would you rather see that molding painted in, or know that the same amount of time was being invested in bringing the next Moebius car or truck replica tool to the market a little quicker or with a little more refinement? 

In that context, I think we can forgive a lack of painting in a window molding.  That's my view, but I acknowledge that others will see this differently, and that is fine, too.   

TB

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Not sure what the big deal is if the box art is or isn’t 100% accurate to the real vehicle, in terms of painting/detailing. 

You're right. It is however, an indication of what's inside the box. With all of the issues these kits have, the boxart is the least problem. Still, it makes people who buy and build the kit think that's how it's supposed to be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2022 at 10:56 PM, Robberbaron said:

Think it's the same reason that they leave the vent window frames body color.

I see that quite a bit with customs. They are ultra detailed, great paint jobs, and nothing around the windows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Thought you all might find this interesting.............

💀 Someone already mentioned that the tires looked like Fireball's, guess this confirms that Joseph's kit was the master for all of the new F-250 pieces.  Would have been nice if they at least discussed it with him - as he said, he could have helped them make it more accurate.

Considering how much of the F-150's guts were copied from the AMT F-150 kit, and the '65 Comet's underhood was copied (incorrectly) from the AMT '67 kit, this shouldn't be a surprise.

Screenshot_20221127-065615_kindlephoto-517283424.png

Edited by Robberbaron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a huge difference in how the kit wheel sits in the tire compared to the Fireball wheel and tire. Not sure what the reasoning is behind the ribs in the wheel but all of the Moebius Ford kits have them.

For those of you looking for larger tires to go on the wheels, Fireball has some available, just not up on his website so a quick email to Joseph gets you an answer.

I also checked the stash and I have some Scenes Unlimited tires and the T55D Michelin 16 inch truck tires have a lugger tread pattern and fit the wheels and are a bit taller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

Does this kit have any other goodies besides the plow for the parts bins?

No "What's in the box" on YouTube yet.

The instructions list a bunch of parts that are in the box but not used in the building of the truck. Extra mirrors, chrome bits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Moebius didn’t do very well copying his wheels. Or the Ford wheels for that matter.

Ford eight lug wheel. Fireball wheels and tires. Moebius. 

It's pretty sad when you can't even get a wheel right. 

In late 60's-early 70's era, there were only 2 factory wheel sizes for an F 250: 2 piece 16" and 1 piece 16.5". The wheels that have been done by Fireball and Moebius appear to be  the more modern 80's 16" 1 piece. I'm appreciative of all the 1/25"   8 lug wheels finally offered by Moebius and aftermarket resin vendors after all these decades, even though they may not be era correct 67'-'72. The thing I don't understand, MPC covered the 8 lug 16.5" beautifully on the 1/20 scale Ford Econoline van (shown) back in the early 70's, all you had to do is shrink it down to 1/25 for a period correct 16.5" 8 lug wheel.  I believe MPC widened the same wheel for the 70's Dodge 4x4 kit. Why did we have to re-invent the wheel? 

IMG_2146.JPG

Edited by leafsprings
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just received this kit from Spotlight Hobbies.  I have all of the Moebius pickup truck kits and have built 5 of them so far.  After opening the box and looking through the contents closely, I am impressed with the number of parts, the complexity and detail of the parts, and the number of parts.

No warped parts either which is somewhat surprising.  I wonder how they devised the packing scheme so as to avoid damaging any parts.  I had a difficult time getting everything back in the box so that it would close properly.  As mentioned in other posts, the kit includes 37 extra parts. I assume they are intended for future variations.

IMHO this is probably the most sophisticated and challenging kit that Moebius has ever offered.  Going to buy at least one more as I see from the instructions that there are several options for building the kit. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, modelercarl said:

Just received this kit from Spotlight Hobbies.  I have all of the Moebius pickup truck kits and have built 5 of them so far.  After opening the box and looking through the contents closely, I am impressed with the number of parts, the complexity and detail of the parts, and the number of parts.

No warped parts either which is somewhat surprising.  I wonder how they devised the packing scheme so as to avoid damaging any parts.  I had a difficult time getting everything back in the box so that it would close properly.  As mentioned in other posts, the kit includes 37 extra parts. I assume they are intended for future variations.

IMHO this is probably the most sophisticated and challenging kit that Moebius has ever offered.  Going to buy at least one more as I see from the instructions that there are several options for building the kit. 

Pics, Pics, Pics, Please!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...