Model Cars Magazine Forum

Current building techniques

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I do a little...

I was looking at your 29 Ford build yesterday. Beautiful! You just don't see this craftsmanship anymore it seems. I find that odd... I would have thought it's gotten waaay better in the past 20 years. More than it has... ya know? And that was the purpose of this whole thread. Lol I just find it all very interesting where things have gone and what's being done and what's winning shows these days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This is awesome!!! Idk I just didn't feel like I said as much of this type of craftsmanship at the atl show as I used to other the shows. It was a fun show and there were many beautiful builds. Many! And I got a lot of inspiration at the show, to the point that I came home and broke out an old build from 15-20 years ago to redo! I just didn't see stuff like we used to ya know?

36 minutes ago, Bobjernigan3 said:

This is what I'm talking about! Very few ppl work with brass anymore. Seems everyone just 3d prints stuff, though the 3d stuff is nice... where I the skill? Where is the ability to build and fabricate?

I like using a mix of ‘traditional’ building techniques (modifying kit parts, kitbashing, resin casting, scratchbuilding from styrene etc etc)…but I like 3D printing too.  Designing parts in CAD and 3D printing them is a skill in itself - same way using an ALPS printer to print decals is a whole art form compared to masking and airbrushing, or brush painting.  They all have their place.  The skill in ANY technique in this hobby is knowing when to use it, and HOW to use it.  

Though not on the scale of some of the amazing build threads shown here, the project I’m working on right now has kitbashed and modified kit parts, soldered brass, resin cast bits, lathe-turned parts…AND 3d printed stuff.  I’m each case, I just used the technique that gave the best results for the thing I was trying to achieve…

D6A55A22-0732-4249-B3DE-F9D33C710B68.thumb.jpeg.88527306d245c117190c7ed865694bb2.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I like using a mix of ‘traditional’ building techniques (modifying kit parts, kitbashing, resin casting, scratchbuilding from styrene etc etc)…but I like 3D printing too.  Designing parts in CAD and 3D printing them is a skill in itself - same way using an ALPS printer to print decals is a whole art form compared to masking and airbrushing, or brush painting.  They all have their place.  The skill in ANY technique in this hobby is knowing when to use it, and HOW to use it.  

Though not on the scale of some of the amazing build threads shown here, the project I’m working on right now has kitbashed and modified kit parts, soldered brass, resin cast bits, lathe-turned parts…AND 3d printed stuff.  I’m each case, I just used the technique that gave the best results for the thing I was trying to achieve…

D6A55A22-0732-4249-B3DE-F9D33C710B68.thumb.jpeg.88527306d245c117190c7ed865694bb2.jpeg

Very cool! And I build the same way lot of kit bashing but a lot of scratch too... and I hope no one is taking the start of this thread as If I were bashing anyone, wasn't my intentions. I don't think any of you guys did, this seems to be a decent forum of decent level headed ppl. It just seems I don't see as much stuff like back in the day. I know there are people out there building and doing builds that are mind blowing and I want to find them. They are inspiring and make me strive to build better! I love the 3d stuff! And I know how to use CAD it's something I'm I'm looking into. Printers are kind of expensive though lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobjernigan3 said:

I know there are people out there building and doing builds that are mind blowing and I want to find them. They are inspiring and make me strive to build better!

Me too, I get it!

Not on the forum, but this guy’s videos are incredible - I’m working through this build of a Tamiya Mini (but he has a bunch of other cool projects too):

Opened doors, scratchbuilt stuff, brass, some unusual materials and techniques…this series scratched the itch for me when I was looking for some amazing craftsmanship.

Back on this site - John Teresi has DOZENS of incredible builds documented step by step with extensive scratchbuilding and a wide array of techniques and skills used:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/profile/5046-john-teresi/content/?type=forums_topic&change_section=1

• Like 2

Might have something to do with the fact that all of the guys that you're talking about are getting old.

The eyes and hands don't work as well as they used to.

Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that a lot of builders are just doing it for the fun of it, and not necessarily looking for trophies or magazine spreads.

In my case, I'm just an old school "plastic" model car builder who enjoys working within that medium.

I have absolutely no interest in working with brass, or milling parts from aluminum, and not a heck of a lot of interest in 3-D printing or resin casting for that matter.

If I can't get where I want to go with some parts swapping, a little scratch building and modifying, then I'm not going there, and that's alright with me.

It already takes me long enough to build a model in plastic without all of that.

Above all else, it has to be fun, or it's not worth it.

There are already enough pressures in most of our lives.

I enjoy attending the occasional show here and there, but it's okay with me if the guy that completely scratch built his model from the ground up wins, and I don't.

He'll do his thing, and I'll do mine.

Besides, I think a lot of people are more interested in seeing something a little more unusual, out of the ordinary, and just cleanly done, than they are necessarily seeing every model looking like it belongs in a museum.

Or maybe a lot of the builders you're talking about are just getting tired, and they want to remember how much fun building was when they were a kid when they weren't trying to impress anybody.

Sorry if that rubs anyone the wrong way, but it's just my take.

Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Steve, Bill, others. 
Looking in WIP and Under Glass probably advisable before asking board why no one does X-builds anymore. 
People get ill, burned-out, die, divorced, life changes (you’ve left a couple times it seems), or just need change. Presumptuous to use absolutes imo. 
As long as they’re having fun, I don’t care how people build, but I try to learn from them. Even if we don’t always agree, it’s nice to share stuff. 
Be happy you have health and motivation to build. That’s a lot. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

You came to a site where people build models, and said nobody builds decent models anymore. Why would we be offended by that? 

Actually, that's not what he said at all. 

What he did say is that he remembers more of the higher quality models being more highly detailed than the average on the board, or on the contest tables.

"Decent" models wasn't what the man was addressing, nor was he denigrating average modelers.

But sadly these days, a lot of the time when exceptional work is mentioned...in any field...there's a contingent that finds offense.

I don't get it.

• Like 1

Hey Bill. It seemed more of a “why aren’t building to a higher level (scratch/brass/opening/etc. ). I had a oh heaven's to Betsy! moment and reread it. New poster with opener like that? Similar to thinking someone is smartest guy in the room. Chances are, not. 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by keyser
PS Bill, get off my lawn, or I’ll make you do discs on rear of your XJ

17 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

What he did say is that he remembers more of the higher quality models being more highly detailed than the average on the board, or on the contest tables.

"Decent" models wasn't what the man was addressing, nor was he denigrating average modelers.

But sadly these days, a lot of the time when exceptional work is mentioned...in any field...there's a contingent that finds offense.

I don't get it.

I don't think you understood my post, or I'm not understanding yours. Probably one of those. :D

• Like 1

All in all, what's happening to modeling is exactly what's happening to illustration, photography, prototyping for industry and consumer goods, machine work, automobile repair, aviation, etc. etc. etc.

All of these fields have been drastically affected by the inroads of "digital" ways of doing things, and while working with a computer interface between the mind and the eventual product in any of them does indeed require new skills, it also tends to result in traditional skills falling by the wayside.

In the real making-things-world, I have seen a huge decrease in the number of skilled fabricators, non-CNC-dependent machinists, welders, bodymen who can recreate shapes and lines, painters who can color-match without the color-analyzer camera and apps, hands-on mechanics who really understand machines and the physics behind them, engineers who can still work outside a CAD environment, and on and on and on.

People get mad when I say these things, but they're the simple truth.

There ARE still highly skilled hands-on traditional craftsman in every field, but they're a dwindling breed. 

That's just the way it is.

But just like blacksmithing, vinyl records, reel-to-reel tape, manual gearboxes, and riding horses never went away entirely, and even see a resurgence of interest at times, so the traditional skills the older modelers inspired us all with will remain, and be practiced by the few who don't think a 4-year build involving machine work or extensive fabrication in a variety of materials is drudgery, but experience it as fun.

The bottom line is that anyone who's deriving pleasure from modeling isn't "doing it wrong", but at the same time, no one should be expected to lavishly praise an OOB model painted with a dirty pinecone...unless we want to adopt the "everyone gets a trophy" philosophy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 4

Excellence in 1:1 autos is “variable” we’d agree. Especially with esoteric stuff (Plessy pump anyone?). Part of issue is people, myself included, don’t finish stuff. Thus moving cars from shop to shop not done, or frequent visits unannounced. That’s likely cause of some umbrage, inability to close deal. No prize for you. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻🤯

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I don't get it.

Thanks. You understand what I was saying. The intent wasn't to offend. And yes I left a few times and it's been a long time since I built anything, but I got a lot of inspiration at the ATL show! And I'm happy to be back building! And thank you to everyone on this thread for posting links to builds I was looking for!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Might have something to do with the fact that all of the guys that you're talking about are getting old.

The eyes and hands don't work as well as they used to.

Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that a lot of builders are just doing it for the fun of it, and not necessarily looking for trophies or magazine spreads.

In my case, I'm just an old school "plastic" model car builder who enjoys working within that medium.

I have absolutely no interest in working with brass, or milling parts from aluminum, and not a heck of a lot of interest in 3-D printing or resin casting for that matter.

If I can't get where I want to go with some parts swapping, a little scratch building and modifying, then I'm not going there, and that's alright with me.

It already takes me long enough to build a model in plastic without all of that.

Above all else, it has to be fun, or it's not worth it.

There are already enough pressures in most of our lives.

I enjoy attending the occasional show here and there, but it's okay with me if the guy that completely scratch built his model from the ground up wins, and I don't.

He'll do his thing, and I'll do mine.

Besides, I think a lot of people are more interested in seeing something a little more unusual, out of the ordinary, and just cleanly done, than they are necessarily seeing every model looking like it belongs in a museum.

Or maybe a lot of the builders you're talking about are just getting tired, and they want to remember how much fun building was when they were a kid when they weren't trying to impress anybody.

This^^^^

A thousand Times This^^^

I keep in mind that if a model builder is enjoying the hobby and subject matter at hand, is doing a competent job to his/her ability by adding desired details if wanted, and making a nicely painted and clean build then I am good with whatever level on the modeling ladder the model reaches. If the modeler had fun building the kit and didn't find it a chore of sorts then the overall experience reaches its own high level. 

Joe

• Like 3

And while it's true that a very few top-tier builders are more motivated by adulation than the pleasure of doing the work, the majority of even the most talented and skilled do it for themselves first...but it's always nice to have one's efforts appreciated by others who get it, no matter how self-motivated and secure one may be.

• Like 4