Model Cars Magazine Forum

We seem to be losing resin manufacturers at an alarming rate.

10 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Striations you used a geological specialized term you have used it many times sure I used the term voxels which is not that uncommon of a term a lot more common than Striations. Why am I busting your chops because you seem to always chime in on my comments and make claims you have little to no experience with from my standpoint. Perhaps they are just uninformed. You do also have a way about rubbing people the wrong way.

Thank you for you thorough analysis of me, which BTW is not very accurate.   If you look at my post history, you will notice that I'm not only commenting on your posts (actually I seem to recall that only commented on your posts only few times before deciding that it is not worth it).  Also in this thread *YOU* attacked my post.

BTW, while you didn't like some of my earlier comments to you about the 3D printed grilles, you did follow my advice and printed the headlight lenses as a separate clear pieces.

As for the terminology, it might not be the correct jargon, but it gets its meaning across. Plus show me anybody else on this forum (besides you) who comments on 3D technology using terms like Voxel.

Striations , layering and faceting are terms which get the point across to the general forum membership (modelers not directly involved in 3D printing) even better than "voxels".  Also neither of those terms is specifically a geological term (check the dictionary definitions I linked to).

I get that you don't like me, but let it go dude, before I start treating this as personal attacks.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I knew a 3D printer would come in here and be defensive about my comment.

I never said 3D printing was easy. I said it was easier than resin casting. Because it is a fact that 3D printing is easier than resin casting. And thats why people are making the switch over to 3D printing.

I buy 3D printed parts because I suck at operating a 3D printer. I have tried several times and I can't get the results I want. 3D printing is not easy. But it is easier to create a model on a computer than it is to create a real, master model, and then make a mold of it. That is why I say 3D printing is easIER.

I am not trying to discount the abilities of people that actually 3D print things. Props to you guys for being able to do it. I am simply saying that technology is making 3D printing easier than actually resin casting things.

In my opinion any technology takes some time to get to be really good at. Each has their own learning curves.

3d printing takes a different skill set from Resin casting . Just printing from files can take some time to master the nuances.

As far as body quality whether it be Styrene, Resin, or 3d printed there is going to be cleanup involved. Styrene has molding lines and sink marks to cleanup. However the 3d printer quality has come a long way. The filament prints took a lot of work to clean, Resin printers have drastically improved the print quality and I'm  sure  down the road it will be every better.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 1:44 PM, Texas_3D_Customs said:

You want more Flathead trannies I can mate my Muncie to it without an issue, I also have in my opinion a great manual already for it, what you won't like is that it will be made to fit my Flathead not a kit engine or someone else's 

A few other 3D printers such as Bolide (now VCG) and Iceman Collections also offer well done Flatheads, but consistently omit early model transmissions for say the Race of Gentlemen where the transmissions need to be 1953 or older. Most kit transmissions that fit that bill tend to be a crude. To you point, getting stray parts to work together can be a chore in itself. 

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

A few other 3D printers such as Bolide (now VCG) and Iceman Collections also offer well done Flatheads, but consistently omit early model transmissions for say the Race of Gentlemen where the transmissions need to be 1953 or older. Most kit transmissions that fit that bill tend to be a crude. To you point, getting stray parts to work together can be a chore in itself. 

Exactly... the sources for old speed equipment is definitely very limited (Norm).

3 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

A few other 3D printers such as Bolide (now VCG) and Iceman Collections also offer well done Flatheads, but consistently omit early model transmissions for say the Race of Gentlemen where the transmissions need to be 1953 or older.

And the probable reason is that most flathead real cars built today get equipped with much later-model 5 speed manuals, or automatics.

The later gearboxes greatly enhance real-world drivability in 2023, but lose much of the old-school flavor.

12 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

...the sources for old speed equipment is definitely very limited (Norm).

Yup.

I noticed a long time ago, businesses come and go, and the thing which made the largest impression upon me was longevity. Simply being available, consistently making quality products and having them available on a consistent basis, at least in this niche market, was key. Good quality is also extremely important, so coupled with availability, you have two very simple (and obvious?) keys to success. 😎

I have heard/read Bill say numerous times "Buy it before it's gone" on this forum, and that still holds true IMHO. Sometimes, you get lucky and find a long OOP NOS part, but for the most part, what you see today might not be available tomorrow. 

• Like 4

On 3/15/2023 at 2:19 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I wouldn't agree that it's "easier", as there are several necessary and complex skills involved, each with a learning curve, and lots of stuff that can go wrong while getting up to speed.

There are going to be a number of people who will never be able to master 3D printing, just as there are folks who've tried to cast resin parts and failed.

The tech is finally maturing. It is cheaper to get started in 3D printing than buying the set up for resin casting.

You can now get on older generation 2K resin printer for less than $200. There are several 4K resin printers in the $300-500 range and 8K resin printers at the $500-800 range that are big enough to do a smaller car body.  

The 4K and 8K printers can do extremely fine detail.

The layering so many dislike with 3D printing is mostly an artifact of the filament printers.

The learning curve for creating stuff to 3D print is a significant, but getting started with resin casting has a pretty steep curve as well.   

• Like 2