Model Cars Magazine Forum

W.I.P. Ferrari 275P - Race & Driver TBD

Thanks guys.

I finished the wheel/tire set today. I only have the kit tires that I can make work for this build so I cut off the embossed Good Year. Better a no name than the wrong one as this car ran on Dunlops. A lot of sanding, flat clear and Tamiya "soot" weathering master to make them presentable.

Painting the wheels was done with a brush. Paint used is Vallejo Metal Color and it works well for this application. Very little paint used, almost a dry brushing delicately done with a soft bristle. Flat aluminium for the wheels and Chrome for the spinners. I did not use the spinners supplied with the wheels, preferring a better shaped set from HRM.

275P wip23.jpg

• Like 4

Paint proved to be a challenge for this project but it was all self inflicted. I mixed a red tone that I believed would work and painted the car. It looked a bit off...and I thought that a coat of clear would move it a bit darker and warmer as it usually does fro reds. Did not!

Genius idea, I decided at add some Tamiya clear red to my Tamiya X22 clear and give it another layer. Nope...no genius here. I stripped the clear and headed to Jac Hobby looking for the right color and bought 4 that showed potential.

Third time is a charm. The best fit (to my eye) was a color from the Vallejo Air line called...hum...  Ferrari Red!

Only one coat of clear to do a photo test. 2nd coat of clear and some polishing will improve things.

275P wip24.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I am not a color expert but that looks pretty darn good.

Neither am I Gary but right or wrong I was looking to achieve the color "rosso corsa" which is a warm but slightly darker tone compared to the often seen "rosso scuderia"

Not sure if I got it perfect but I am satisfied with the result.

16 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I just ordered some Ferrari Red and will give it a try.  What color of primer did you use?  

Vallejo surface primer Pure Red 70.624 and the color coat is Vallejo Model Air Ferrari Red 71.085

Edited by Pierre Rivard

I still have a lot to o on this one but I could not resist doing a quick mock-up. I set up attachment/axle setup to the printed wheels and I am satisfied with the ride height I have set up, and I like the look of the wheels. Taking pictures also help a lot to assess the body mods. I am happy with the way the fenders now gradually roll to the sides of the body. keep in mind the paint has not been polished yet so some small brush strokes may be visible.

275P wip25.jpg

275P wip26.jpg

• Like 1

I finished the "canopy" hardware. I glued in small 0.5 mm rods with the tips painted chrome. Not bad but I have to find a good source for rivets for future builds. Also the small A posts have been painted and bonded to the glass piece. The canopy and airfoil are just installed loose at this point. Gluing them in will be at the final build stage.

I still have to build a wiper. Gotta design a solution first...

275P wip27.jpg

275P wip28.jpg

• Like 1

Try as I might, I cannot see any strokes in that paint. It already looks awesome before you're even done. And glossy or not for the real car, I would go as glossy as you can on this build. I cannot believe a real Ferrari did not have magnificent paint coming out of the factory.

Edited by MarkJ

Thanks guys. Still some work to do on the paint and I also think I will need to tone down the gloss a bit. Picture below is what I will aim for. I just realize from looking at multiple pics that the 64 LeMans winner had black headlamp pockets, not the often seen silver.

275P ref4.jpeg

I'm sure seeing a lot of reflection in the real car photo, and you can only get mirror like reflections from a glossy paint job. JMHO. Glad the headlight buckets are black. I think that will improve the overall look of the build.

7 hours ago, absmiami said:

But notice that the turn signal light cutout is still silver  - wheels look really good …

Yup, saw that. I also need to fab new amber side markers above the front wheel opening. The molded markers disappeared with the fender shape change I did. Just fabricated (sitting on the tape column below) but not glued to the body.

About the wheels, working with Jason at Jack Modeling on making in laced Borranis for future Ferrari builds.

275P wip29.jpg

• Like 1