Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCW Finishes

Anyone use these paints? I'm going to be building a replica of my first car, the 66 Impala SS. I want the original paint color which was Aztez Bronze. MCW has it in a lacquer. I've never used a lacquer, only acrylics and enamel. Would I need their primer and clear also or can I use any primer and clear?

I've used Dupli-Color, Plasti-Kote (when I could find it), and Tamiya primer under MCW paints. All work nicely. And yes, priming is a must.

Lacquer likes to go on a little wet, so slightly heavier than mist coats, without being too heavy, Make a couple of passes on some sprue to get a feel.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks guys. I use Mr. Hobby Mr. Surfacer 1000 primer under acrylics and enamel.  I wonder if it would be ok. I'll need to test it I guess, but I think it's about the same as Tamiya primer. I've tried Duplicolor primer and didn't like it, went on too thick.

As far as clears, you can put almost any type over lacquer, but not the other way around. Lacquer products are "hot", meaning it can attack what is underneath. I usually prime with an automotive spray primer, then paint. I rarely clear. As far as concerns about MCW, they are the only ones I buy airbrush paint from.

MCW is some of the best paint you will ever find!

Fantastic stuff!

The color pallet is nearly endless, and they have a really good handle on getting the metallic paints to look correct to scale.

It sprays nice, covers great, and lays down nicely.

As others have said, being as it's acrylic lacquer, you can use virtually any kind of primer made for lacquer, and the sky is the limit for clear coat.

Personally, I like Duplicolor "primer sealer" under it, and my preference is Duplicolor lacquer "protective clear coat finish" from a spray can in their "Perfect Match" line.

One of the advantages of using Duplicolor primer over some others is that should it become necessary to strip the paint for any reason, (I almost never have this happen) it facilitates that process.

MCW is without question my go-to paint!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1

I’ll rephrase that.

MCW is just as good as some, and better than most.

Or, to put it another way, I don’t know of anything that could be called better.

I prefer it over Scale Finishes because the scale of the metallic particles is better.

Other than that Scale Finishes is extremely good and comparable to MCW, and between the 2 of them, I can honestly say that I know of nobody else who offers a more comprehensive selection of factory stock colors.

Steve

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks guys. I use Mr. Hobby Mr. Surfacer 1000 primer under acrylics and enamel.  I wonder if it would be ok. I'll need to test it I guess, but I think it's about the same as Tamiya primer. I've tried Duplicolor primer and didn't like it, went on too thick.

Mr Surfacer works fine with MCW paint, as does Tamiya’s primer. I’ve been using Mr Color clears but switched to Tamiya’s LP lacquer clears because they’re readily available locally.

Ben

I use all sorts of different brands of paints. But when I am building a classic car and want an OEM color, I ALWAYS go to MCW finishes.

Word of caution. MCW lacquers are "hot" so you need a good primer. I use Tamiya or Mr Hobby surfacers. They bother work great. AND since the paint is "hot" apply the first 2 coats very lightly, and allow plenty of time to cure between those first two coats. 7-8 minutes should be good. Once those first two coats are on there and have had time to cure, then you can apply a final heavier coat or two in order to get a nice smooth layer of paint on there.

And MCW paints are old skool style lacquers. He claims you don't need clear coat, you can just polish the paints. However, I still add a clear coat.

Short answer, MCW paints are great.

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered the Aztec Bronze. Shipping is a little high, but I only needed the one, it would have been ok if I ordered more. But I wanted the OEM color for the Impala. I'll use my Mr. Surfacer 1000 primer, and if it looks ok after paint I'll probably skip the clear.

7 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered the Aztec Bronze. Shipping is a little high, but I only needed the one, it would have been ok if I ordered more. But I wanted the OEM color for the Impala. I'll use my Mr. Surfacer 1000 primer, and if it looks ok after paint I'll probably skip the clear.

Be sure and post your build. I'm a previous owner of a '66 Impala SS and would enjoy seeing your build and originally wanted that color on mine. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

Be sure and post your build. I'm a previous owner of a '66 Impala SS and would enjoy seeing your build and originally wanted that color on mine. 

I will. It will be a few weeks before I get started on it. Trying to get some parts together. I replaced the wheels on mine not long after I got it, installed chrome reverse wheels, so I need to find a set of those. Also the Revell kit has front bucket seats, mine had a bench seat. I may have one that will work in my parts. It was a great car, mine had the L78 version with 375hp, rochester 4 barrel and muncie 4 speed trans. Did pretty well at the Saturday night grudge matches.

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

I placed my order a week ago and have not heard anything from them. Is this typical? How long does it usually take for them to ship out a order?

It's gonna take longer than a week dude.

Be patient, they're not Amazon. ;)

This is a cottage industry and they have a lot of orders to fill.

Plus, if you read the first thing that pops up on the screen on they're website, you'll see that there was a recent move from I believe Ohio, to North Carolina.

It takes time to get everything moved and set up, and during the process, they've become backed up.

Seriously, I wouldn't expect to see your order until the middle of May.

I can tell you personally, that in the past, (I believe before the current proprietors took over), 3 weeks was the normal turn around time.

Since the new owners took over, I still would never see my order any earlier than a couple of weeks out.

Steve 

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's gonna take longer than a week dude.

Be patient, they're not Amazon. ;)

This is a cottage industry and they have a lot of orders to fill.

Plus, if you read the first thing that pops up on the screen on they're website, you'll see that there was a recent move from I believe Ohio, to North Carolina.

It takes time to get everything moved and set up, and during the process, they've become backed up.

Seriously, I wouldn't expect to see your order until the middle of May.

I can tell you personally, that in the past, (I believe before the current proprietors took over), 3 weeks was the normal turn around time.

Since the new owners took over, I still would never see my order any earlier than a couple of weeks out.

Steve 

Thanks. I was just wondering if it was typical not to even get a notice from them after ordering. I know it takes time, but it does say ships within 3-9 business days.

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks. I was just wondering if it was typical not to even get a notice from them after ordering. I know it takes time, but it does say ships within 3-9 business days.

Well, 9 business days, (to ship, not for you to receive it) s basically 2 weeks.

Add another week for shipping, and your now closer to three weeks than one.

And that's under normal circumstances, and not when they have a backlog due to a tear down, a move, and setting back up again in a new facility.

You won't get any notice or tracking information.

I never have.

It'll just show up.

In this instance, I don't think I would start to get worried unless more than 3 weeks has gone by.

MCW is a reputable business.

They'll take care of you, no doubt.

It's just going to take a little longer due to the circumstances.

Steve

• Like 1

I'm not really concerned, but a little confused. It states 3-9 business to ship the order, I know it didn't mean to receive the order.  Probably only take 3-4 days to get to me after shipping. But what I was asking is do they send a email confirming the order, I've got nothing, that doesn't seem right after a week. Also when I go to the site I don't see anything about paint orders being back logged. It does state resin orders will be back ordered. Like I said, not really concerned, just strange not to get a confirmation email. I'm in no rush, I'm retired, don't get in a rush anymore.

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

I'm not really concerned, but a little confused. It states 3-9 business to ship the order, I know it didn't mean to receive the order.  Probably only take 3-4 days to get to me after shipping. But what I was asking is do they send a email confirming the order, I've got nothing, that doesn't seem right after a week. Also when I go to the site I don't see anything about paint orders being back logged. It does state resin orders will be back ordered. Like I said, not really concerned, just strange not to get a confirmation email. I'm in no rush, I'm retired, don't get in a rush anymore.

Look at it this way.

Every minute that they spend on the computer sending out confirmations and emails, is one less minute that they have to fill orders, and it only makes sense that if they're behind on resin, that they would be behind on paint orders. (the bulk of their business)

As I said, I have never received a confirmation of any kind from MCW.

But I have always been confident, (and have always been correct in my assumption) that my order is on it's way.

That said, I've ordered frequently from MCW over the years, and have never once received my order in a week.

It'll get there.

By the way, you have to remember as well that this is a custom service.

They’re not just pulling a can of Tamiya off of the shelf and shipping it.

At the very least, (if the paint color, or colors that you ordered don’t need to be mixed from scratch), they have to be prepared for use, (reduced) bottled, labeled, packaged and shipped, and all most likely being done by a couple of guys, dealing with hundreds of orders.

All takes time.

Steve

23 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Look at it this way.

Every minute that they spend on the computer sending out confirmations and emails, is one less minute that they have to fill orders, and it only makes sense that if they're behind on resin, that they would be behind on paint orders. (the bulk of their business)

As I said, I have never received a confirmation of any kind from MCW.

But I have always been confident, (and have always been correct in my assumption) that my order is on it's way.

That said, I've ordered frequently from MCW over the years, and have never once received my order in a week.

It'll get there.

By the way, you have to remember as well that this is a custom service.

They’re not just pulling a can of Tamiya off of the shelf and shipping it.

At the very least, (if the paint color, or colors that you ordered don’t need to be mixed from scratch), they have to be prepared for use, (reduced) bottled, labeled, packaged and shipped, and all most likely being done by a couple of guys, dealing with hundreds of orders.

All takes time.

Steve

Well, like I said I'm in no rush. Was just wondering.

2 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Well, like I said I'm in no rush. Was just wondering.

Just as a “for instance” I ordered a bottle of Alclad paint through Amazon about a week ago, that’s shipping from Hobbylinc, and it hasn’t even shipped yet.

And that is a “pull it off the shelf and ship it” situation.

Even Amazon and Hobbylinc can be a little slow sometimes. 😉

Steve

I haven't ordered a lot from MCW, but the few times i did i always got a tracking number.  I guess they changed? Been a long time since I've ordered anything from them, but you can always order there paint from hobbynutmodels too.  Hobbylinc is def pretty slow the few times I've ordered from them, but always get what i ordered though no issues. 

Edited by Dpate

2 hours ago, Dpate said:

I haven't ordered a lot from MCW, but the few times i did i always got a tracking number.  I guess they changed? Been a long time since I've ordered anything from them

Well, if it was more than a few years ago, you couldn't even order on line.

You had to print an order form from the site and mail it in.

I don't even know how they could have gotten a tracking number to you, unless it was via email.

I don't recall ever getting an email from MCW.

Maybe I've just been unlucky.....or lucky, depending on how you look at it. ;)

Steve