Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frankenstein Lives!

Zoom Zoom

You know, Bob, I think that's better looking than either the Challenger or the Camaro. It just works. One of the coolest builds of the year.

Terry

This model was a whole lot of fun up until Tuesday when attempting a very minor repair my airbrush spilled satin clear lacquer over the roof, hood, header panel, windshield and front fender of the model moments before completion ;):rolleyes:

It had to be taken back apart, body completely stripped of detail parts and refinished; amazingly the glass was completely unharmed, the polish must have protected it as it buffed out perfectly. Refinishing included a bout with fisheyes. And four repaints of the roof alone due to problems with me, the paint, and bad karma, I guess.

It was finished up Friday morning, lightning didn't strike it on the way to the show, and it attracted a good bit of attention this weekend; my humor returned after feeling like I'd give up the hobby for good after goofing it up so badly ;) . I'd love to see this thing as a 1:1 concept at SEMA...the car companies would all have a conniption ;)

I love doing stuff like this; it's fun seeing people's reactions...both good and bad-I tend to like provocative designs (that doesn't mean Aztek, by the way :P ). I love how it came out, but I'm sure there are people that might have a lot less favorable reaction, and that's okay too. Hit me w/any questions/comments!

Photos Here

Fantastic! Glad you overcame the hurdles and got it finished. Absolutely stunning!

As for the dual caps...It's a concept car. It takes two different fuels into two different tanks, perhaps, for future technology! Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket! Whatever...the car is fabulous!

Edited by Tony T

Thanks for all the comments :D

I'll probably deal w/the fuel cap issue soon, and probably shorten the side mirror stalks while I'm at it.

And start planning the next mind-warp combo. I'm half tempted to mirror the results of this model w/the original pre-retro versions of the three cars. I'm more likely to go in a completely different direction on something fresh. I can never begin to predict where & when the lightbulb will come on with some crazy new idea...

I'll probably deal w/the fuel cap issue soon, and probably shorten the side mirror stalks while I'm at it.

Here is one option used on full-size Mustangs: http://www.cjponyparts.com/black-decklid-t...5-2009/p/TPM15/

Decklid trim panels or taillight blackout panels come in honeycomb, pebble-grained, carbon fiber, ribbed and just about any other finish. They are installed by removing the faux gas cap and attaching the panel with tape. I would think one could be installed on yours using some very thin styrene, a carbon fiber decal, and some sort of glue after popping off the cap. No refinishing of your model required.

Here is one option used on full-size Mustangs: http://www.cjponyparts.com/black-decklid-t...5-2009/p/TPM15/

Decklid trim panels or taillight blackout panels come in honeycomb, pebble-grained, carbon fiber, ribbed and just about any other finish. They are installed by removing the faux gas cap and attaching the panel with tape. I would think one could be installed on yours using some very thin styrene, a carbon fiber decal, and some sort of glue after popping off the cap. No refinishing of your model required.

Excellent idea, thanks. I'd been thinking in paint terms & hadn't thought of the inserts.

Bob, I was kinda taken back when I first seen your build post on this subject ... but I have to say everything fits together so extremely well. One of the more interesting builds I've seen. Its pretty wild to see the 3 cars all blended into one. Really outstanding job and the color is perfect IMO. Just looks "right." May I ask where the wheels are from? Again, excellent job!

I've done a few updates to it since the show, still not 100% satisfied but details are getting better.

I put a black wash on the remaining fuel cap, I painted the side mirror stalks & part of the mirror housings black, and removed the Mustang emblem from between the taillights. In its place is a couple strips of plastic to cover the mounting hole; one is flat black, the top one is .040" half round painted Grabber Orange. This helps break up the expanse, and makes the taillight panel look a bit like a negative image of the hood stripe. It's better, but I'm still thinking there's something better to be done.

IMG_8205-vi.jpg

IMG_8204-vi.jpg

For the rear panel, I'd say KISS... a simple flat black, no stripes, no emblems. As Mies said, less is more.

I didn't like it that way. Too much open, black space.

I'm thinking about doing this; more body color, less black, ties together the crease from the side w/the lower taillight sections:

IMG_8204Rev3-vi.jpg

Edited by Zoom Zoom

That works nicely... ties in to the line between the taillights and backup lights/turn signals. Although I'd still go with a simple flat back panel if it was me. I also would have stuck with either body color or black mirrors, but not a split. Actually, since the mirrors sprout out of a black area I'd probably have gone with black.

But, hey, that's just my opinion, and it's your design and your model. It's a spectacular success in my book, the rest is just minor nitpicking. That rear 3/4 view is a knockout! :(

I've done a few updates to it since the show, still not 100% satisfied but details are getting better.

I put a black wash on the remaining fuel cap, I painted the side mirror stalks & part of the mirror housings black, and removed the Mustang emblem from between the taillights. In its place is a couple strips of plastic to cover the mounting hole; one is flat black, the top one is .040" half round painted Grabber Orange. This helps break up the expanse, and makes the taillight panel look a bit like a negative image of the hood stripe. It's better, but I'm still thinking there's something better to be done.

IMG_8205-vi.jpg

IMG_8204-vi.jpg

Is it possible to make a car that is just RIGHT even RIGHTER!?!

I think that car looks better than any one of those cars singularly! I am SOOOOO diggin' it!

I don't know what to say that hasn't been said already! I just feel I should say something!! The first thing that comes to mond is it looks stock. Then you notice that something is really radical about this build. Then you notice the Camaro quarters with the Challenger front and think, "Hey, WTF?? Is that 2 different cars??" Then you look a little closr and notice its 3!! Then your mind just goes crazy and ya start looking for all the other little details. I just spent 20 minutes going back and forth between comments of what other people have noticed that I didn't, so I go back to the pics and look for it.

VERY CREATIVE AND KICKA$$ BUILD BOB!!!

Thanks for the replies & input; I'm still going to try some different things w/the back end & mirrors. I'm going to shorten the mirror stalks & doing so will remove the mirror bodies; will give me a chance to see in 3D whether orange, orange & black, or just black is the way to go w/them (all-black sure looks good on my '70 AMX w/a similar black mask). I'm still leaning on the second of the tail end variations; but there's still something missing. The orange bisecting strip as it is looks okay, but I'm not 100% satisfied. Maybe I'll never be 100% satisfied so I'll end up living with something :rolleyes::huh:

I think either orange stripe treatment would work for the back, I haven't really decided which one is my favorite yet- I like the amber in the taillamps. Don't the European market Mustangs feature a similar lens?

I saw this build on your Fotki page early on, and thought it was a killer idea. Why pick which one of the new ponycars you want when you can have all three?

And Bob? The Aztek may have been 'provocative', but what about it's corporate sister, the Rendezvous? That one was (I think) even more, ah, provocative...