Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Camaro Prototype Concept

Scale-Master

Based on the 1st Generation Camaro platform, this is a styling exercise using what became the roof and rear end of the 2nd Generation Camaro.

The rear panel & roof/trunk is from an AMT ’70 Camaro, the main body is the Revell ‘69. The rear window frame was rescribed and sanded flush. The rear door lines were filled and new ones were scribed.

DSC09615.jpg

DSC09614.jpg

DSC09616.jpg

Wow really cool idea!!!!! Saw something similar as a rendering in a Camaro mag a few months back. If i can find it I will post up some pics for ya. Should also check out 2010 Goodguys street machine of the year as it is a 67 morphed with a new Camaro. May gain some inspiration there as well. Can't wait to see more progress.

Thanks guys!

Your observations are duly noted, but I planned this out as far as what the styling parameters were to be well before laying saw to plastic.

It can’t make use of the 1975 and later wrap around rear window because it did not exist in 1969. It can’t have an L88 hood because it needs to follow mainstream production 1969 Camaro cues for the front of the car.

I am not trying to make a street custom, just toying with a what-if premise based on some fact, some (more) imagination… I already had written this perspective of the project before:

With the late arrival of the 1970 (and ½) Camaro to the dealers, I wondered if possibly there was a chance of a dialogue of using a “filler†design utilizing the existing 1969 Camaro base. One with enough of a visual change, by using part of the new second generation body to create a transitional and producible design, but still be relatively structurally and mechanically the same car as the previous year. A design that could be further modified into an all new car for the following year(s)?

Anyone recall the 1961 & ’62 Corvettes, and how the rear end of the subsequent mid-year Corvettes from 1963-’67 shared that new rear end styling attached to the previous 1958-'60 body? The last year for the solid axle was 1962, and the 1963 Corvette was an all new car...

Is it not plausible that Chevrolet could have tried a past method of producing an interim car? Many concept cars do not see the light of day. Who’s to say there is not something like this buried in the archives?

Again, Thanks guys!

I do have someone who is willing to cast it in resin...

But since it only uses easy to find two common kits, (any AMT 1970 Camaro, and any Revell 1969 Camaro), and one of them is needed for the engine/chassis/interior anyway, (the Revell '69). Plus it only took a few hours to cut and combine them to the state it is in those pictures. It makes more sense to show how I did it and let anyone who wants to build their own instead of sending it out, waiting for it to come back, and investing all that time and material in casting them. We are builders aren't we?

This shows where I cut and combined the bodies.

DSC096045.jpg

DSC096055.jpg

I used CA to cement them together and did not even need any body filler. A PE saw, X-Acto knife and a scriber were used to cut the bodies apart and rescribe the rear window and door lines. The rest is basic building techniques.

Again, Thanks guys!

I do have someone who is willing to cast it in resin...

But since it only uses easy to find two common kits, (any AMT 1970 Camaro, and any Revell 1969 Camaro), and one of them is needed for the engine/chassis/interior anyway, (the Revell '69). Plus it only took a few hours to cut and combine them to the state it is in those pictures. It makes more sense to show how I did it and let anyone who wants to build their own instead of sending it out, waiting for it to come back, and investing all that time and material in casting them. We are builders aren't we?

This shows where I cut and combined the bodies.

I used CA to cement them together and did not even need any body filler. A PE saw, X-Acto knife and a scriber were used to cut the bodies apart and rescribe the rear window and door lines. The rest is basic building techniques.

Sure, make us do our own work!! :P;)

:lol:

Is there going to be rear sideglass? Theres no way a window of that shape would be able to roll in the door. But beside that this is badass !!! The thing I always did not like about those 70 camaros was the front end.

Mark,

I am digging this and I really appreciate the how-to to do it ourselves. While buying a resin piece could be easier, the way you showed how you mated the two kits together really makes this look like a simple project.

I have two ideas in my head for this prototype- a COPO version and a ProTouring version. I think the COPO would use the standard grille and the ProTouring would use the RS grille with the hideaway headlamps. I really prefer the hideaway headlamps from the 67/68 Camaros over the 69 but keeping with the theme, I guess the 69 grille would be the one to use.

Can't wait to see some progress on this, you got it done yet? :D

Mark-

I understand the story behind the build and I like to do the same thing at times. I like the look of this with one exception. The disparity between the front and rear fender peaks bugs me. The front fenders come to a nice sharp peak where as the rear fenders are rounded at the top. This is, to me, what adds to the weighty look of the rear. Unfortunately with the story involved there is no way to fix this without losing what each body style is (or was in it's day). All of that aside, I really like what you have done and I appreciate your work involved. I can't wait to see this in color.

Later-

Mark-

I understand the story behind the build and I like to do the same thing at times. I like the look of this with one exception. The disparity between the front and rear fender peaks bugs me. The front fenders come to a nice sharp peak where as the rear fenders are rounded at the top. This is, to me, what adds to the weighty look of the rear. Unfortunately with the story involved there is no way to fix this without losing what each body style is (or was in it's day). All of that aside, I really like what you have done and I appreciate your work involved. I can't wait to see this in color.

Later-

I agree with Modlbldr. I think that it might flow a little better with the ridges, or character lines, from the '69 rear quarter panels. With that being said, I love it! What a great concept!

The rear bumper was too narrow, I don’t know if it is a problem with the AMT ’70 Camaro or something I did during the body modification since I did not test fit it until the body was re-worked, but it needed about 1/8th of an inch added.

DSC09677.jpg

BMF to re-plate it…

DSC09682.jpg

The rear corners of the body also had to be tweaked and built up to meet the bumper, the corners were a bit “softâ€.

BMF stretches, just start in the center and "massage" it outward. If you see a wrinkle stating to form, lift the loose part of the foil and continue smoothing outward.

The wheels from the AMT kit were the 2nd gen z/28 style I wanted to use, but needed some modifications to be used with the Revell tires, and they were not 100% correct, so thinned them out on the lathe…

DSC09683.jpg

DSC09684.jpg

And machined a set of beauty rings…

DSC09685.jpg

I was able to reuse the center caps after I cut some discs from aluminum to close off the open center portions of the wheels.

And some hex rod was sliced up for the lug nuts… Dark gunmetal with some silver accents and they are ready to install…

DSC09686.jpg