Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 599 GTO - self-done conversion

Phildaupho

FERRARI 599 GTO – self-done conversion [Hobby Design is releasing a curbside transkit for the Fujimi 599]. I have to admit, I really enjoy doing these conversions myself. Build description follows photos.

DSCN0528-vi.jpg

DSCN0522-vi.jpg

DSCN0525-vi.jpg

DSCN0517-vi.jpg

DSCN0515-vi.jpg

Where as the original GTO was a homologation race version of a car that was essentially a road-car – the 250GT SWB, the new 599 GTO is a homologation street version of a racecar – the 599XX. The 599 GTO incorporates many of the aerodynamic and performance enhancements developed on the 599XX.

Revell of Germany Ferrari 599 Fiorano

BODY MODIFCATION - Enlarged existing side and front vents and openings, added vents behind rear wheels, added another row of vents on hood, reshaped rear valence and added extra fin to diffuser, fabricated new front splitter, enlarged trunk spoiler, re-contoured front valance and side sills. Once completed I realised I should have faired the flying buttresses to the roof line

ENGINE – Fabricated new air-box, added some wiring but virtually hidden by air-box. Slightly modified air-cleaner boxes

WHEELS, TIRES and SUSPENSION - Lowered, Aoshima wheels painted buffed Metalizer Exhaust with Pegasus tires, fabricated donuts over stock brakes

INTERIOR - Reshaped the seats with photo-etched Studio 27 seat-belt hardware, used black with a bit of metallic gold to simulate carbon fiber on dash, seat backs, console. Seats sprayed with light coat of SMP Fauxfabric before matt black. Foot wells cover with dull-coated cigarette package foil to simulate metal floor coverings. “Opened†driver side door window to give a better view of interior.

EXTERIOR – Although not an official paint for GTO’s I am sure if you wanted your GTO painted with the new Ferrari Formula One metallic red, your wish could be fulfilled for a price. I chose to use Tamiya TS-85 Bright Mica Red. It turned out to be more orange than I expected but is a similar shade to the available GTO Rosso Scuderia the color of the GTO that appeared in FORZA. The roof is Tamiya TS-6 Matt Black. Used some Acu.Stion photo-etch I had left over from another project and Hobby Design emblems.

Ferrari 599 GTO website has a huge amount of information, photos and videos. It even permits me you to custom configure a GTO with color and materials.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sport%20Cars/CurrentRange/599-GTO/Pages/599GTO.aspx

More photos of model and 1/1 GTO

http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/models_of_sports_cars/ferrari-599-gto/

Fantastic looking conversion,are you planning to bring it to the 2011 modelrama show in Vancouver in April?would love to see it in person. :rolleyes:

Yes I am definitely planning on entering the Vancouver Model Autorama April 2.

See ya there

Phil

Edited by Phildaupho