Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 - Batmobile - 1/25 scale Polar Lights

Drake69

My build thread outlines my work. Most of the paint was Tamiya except for the Modelmaster engine red.

Batmobile54.jpg

Batmobile55.jpg

Batmobile56.jpg

Batmobile57.jpg

Batmobile58.jpg

Batmobile59.jpg

Batmobile60.jpg

Batmobile61.jpg

Batmobile62.jpg

A few minor details to do, but she is presentable at this point. Canopy done in BMF, and body glossed in Future Shine. Comments welcome!

Edited by Drake69

I modified mine a little. The added exhaust was part of a pen and I coiled my own phone cord. Good detail for a snapper. The included figures lean a little toward the cartoony side, more closely resembling the comic book art.The factory finish and red trim are both acceptable though they missed the chevrons on the trunklid. Great to finally have this in 1:25. MOtor Trend Classic did about ten pages on one of the Bats in the Summer '10 issue. Really good reference photos, but it turns out the subject was actually built for the TV special "Back to the Batcave" in the 80's.

batmobile007.jpg

batmobile005.jpg

Edited by samdiego

That really turned out nice! I guess I'll have to break down and get one of those.

Cracks me up how the designers of this Batmobile decided it was ok to place 2 parachutes right next to the jet exhaust nozzle! Those chutes would have been a melted mess of nylon in about 2 seconds from the heat of that jet engine! B)

Maybe they were thinking that both the chutes and the jets wouldn't be used at the same time? :o :o :lol:

That really turned out nice! I guess I'll have to break down and get one of those.

Maybe they were thinking that both the chutes and the jets wouldn't be used at the same time? B) B) B)

They might not even last long enough to get deployed if that nozzle get hot enough :o

I don't know why I didn't think of this first, but hey, it's Batman......those chutes are made from a jet-exhaust resistant material. :lol:

Of course! That has to be it! I mean...anyone who can swing from skyscraper to skyscraper on a thin wire attached to a batarang that always seems to find an anchor point should easily be able to invent 2,000 degree-proof parachutes right? :P

As a kid, I used to watch Batman every week. Seeing this car was always the highlight of the show. Yours is the best rendition I've seen of the real thing. I see it (or a replica of it) every year in Detroit's Woodward Cruise! It always gets a standing ovation..

Nice! Thanks!

Ken

Scroll down on this page and there's an interesting pictorial thread about the evolution of the Lincoln Futura into the TV Batmobile. First time I've seen shots of the Futura in its rusty, dilapidated state before its transformation. Jacen (Futurabat) may have posted these before, but I haven't seen them here.

https://theinvisibleagent.wordpress.com/tag/1955/

Edited by sjordan2

There is another Bat Factory outside of San Diego. I saw two in the late 90's, one in primer, the other finished and supposedly headed for Eddie Vedder. There are a few basic differences between the two featured in Motor Trend Classics and the one in the link provided by sjordan2.

Edited by samdiego

Aw c'mon. It wasn't terrible (ok, not really, really terrible). That was the 60s. It is hard to believe that this was prime time fare and it was on twice a week. It's like Captain Kangaroo, a staple during my childhood but try watching one now.

• 1 month later...