Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aluminum Bodied 427 Cobra

Eric C

Last model kit of 2011 for me. I finished this one up last week. It's the Revell kit made to look like one of the bare aluminum bodied Cobra's. Painted with Krylon Dull Aluminum then rubbed out with Rub-N-Buff Silver Leaf paste to bring it to a natural metal sheen. Otherwise I added spark plug wires and various decals to give it a racer look.

Thanks for looking...

Work026.jpg

Work022.jpg

Work023.jpg

Work027.jpg

Work030.jpg

It is good to know that method works for the true look of bare metal. Did you clear over the Rub-n-Buff? Or does it polish away and leave no residue? Whenever I use the stuff I end of getting it all over my fingers and then fingerprints all over other things.

That is a really great looking Cobra.

I hope you don't mind but I saved those pics on my pc to look at later.

I am amazed at how realistic the metal look is. Come to think of it, that technique could work well in a body shop diorama..

I haven't heard of the rub and buff.. How is it compared to testers metallizer aluminum (buffing type)?

Thanks everyone.

To answer some of the questions about the rub n buff.

I didn't have any issues with applying the decals. They went on fine but since this is the first time I've done this I'm not sure what the long term effect will be.

There's no clear over the rub n buff. The rub n buff is petroleum based but I've never tried clearing over it.

Rub n Buff is a paste that comes in a small tube and is available in various metallic shades. You rub it onto the surface with a soft cloth like you would if you were polishing the paint. At first it looks dull but as you buff it the sheen starts to come out. This was the Silver Leaf color. You can buy it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby in the aisle with the silver and gold leafing supplies.

The decals are various decals from the kit. The kit I used is the most recent release of the Cobra, the green colored kit with the white flame decals. These are the optional decals that come with the kit.