Model Cars Magazine Forum

The VEGA & PINTO Celebration Thread

Dr. Cranky

• 1 year later...

However, Pintos, Mavericks, Comets, Hornets (were there kits of ANY of these?) would always be welcome to the fold.

You can scratch the Maverick and Hornet off the list, as they were done by JO-HAN, and the tooling is likely long gone. The Comet tooling still exists, so it's possible we could see that one again.

Round2 probably has the AMT and MPC Pinto tooling, too, and while I'm not sure the MPC coupe/hatchback and wagon are based on the same basic tooling, I believe the '78s were the last from MPC, so we'd probably get one of these:

$T2eC16F,!w8FIdU3lLL9BSVJ04iN3g~~60_57.J

amtpinto.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!rUFJ!LBWuIdBSVebMv2nw~~60_57.J

The latter can be built stock, too. The Pinto doesn't have much appeal to me, but if the Gremlins and Pacer sell well, we might see Pinto, Matador, and Chevette kits again.

The Pinto doesn't have much appeal to me, but if the Gremlins and Pacer sell well, we might see Pinto, Matador, and Chevette kits again.

How can it not? I mean it builds into a Turbocharged, Ground-Hugging, Mag-Wheeled, Wide-Tired, Spoilered, Mean Mini Muscle MACHINE!! An overly hyphenated one at that!

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but has anybody made a resin 71,72 wagon body? id like to convert it into a panel and build my 1:1 71 panel delivery. Bought it in '08 for $300 from an ex ww2 vet who had it sitting in his barn since '75. It was rock stock and in the original paint. It has zero rust no major dings or anything, no bondo on the car except for the hatch which got a small bit but is easily replaced.

66660_398354286926681_361585339_n_zps683

Edited by Dragfreak

My Mom's friend had a Baby Blue Cruisin Wagon when I was a kid, way cooler than my moms white over tan window wagon that she coincidentally traded a Vega in on. I don't know if I can celebrate Mom's after it tried to kill me on a couple of occasions. I remember the passenger door flew wide open on a sweeping left hand curve, I happened to be in the passenger seat, thankfully buckled tight but still scared the heck out of us. I also remember spinning 3 or 4 times into oncoming traffic on a long section of black ice at 50 odd mph, Mom had to pull over on the shoulder for a couple minutes on that one. Donuts and drifting on the gravel roads with Dad was a lot of fun for my friends and I, but It finally munched the timing gears(or something along those lines), stranding us in the middle of Illinois on a family trip to St Louis. Grandpa came to tow it, and us, home. Dad couldn't, or didn't want to fix it so he let us kids finish it off with hammers, baseball bats, what have you as long as we didn't break any windows. That went on for a few weeks before we hauled it off to the salvage yard. Come to think of the 5 or so years we had that car, it was a big part of growing up for me. This was going to be the light blue one, but now I'm not sure which one to build from this? :)

family1187.jpg

In Grand Rapids there is a real life one of these driving around...exactly the same (as the custom pic) except in red. I kind of chuckeled when I saw a thread dedicated to celebrating the Pinto and the Vega, but some of these kits look pretty cool.

Dood!

I have to get one, or both of those Pintos! The Pony Express is EPIC!

So lame; it's like they took all the bad ideas from Bear Bait and just put them on yet another car!

I hate those square-headlight Pintos, so now I really, really want one!

I'd like to see the Pinto wagon back.

Dad is just dying (ha-ha-ha) to build his '73. The one that had the front suspension break off on him while it was sitting in the driveway (at least that was lucky).

As he tells it, he went out to change the oil, and looked at the car "sitting a little lower than I remember" and when he looked in the wheelwells, the welds that held the front suspension on had broken clean off.

Oops; Ford must've had a bad QC day that day.

Charlie Larkin

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but has anybody made a resin 71,72 wagon body? id like to convert it into a panel and build my 1:1 71 panel delivery. Bought it in '08 for $300 from an ex ww2 vet who had it sitting in his barn since '75. It was rock stock and in the original paint. It has zero rust no major dings or anything, no bondo on the car except for the hatch which got a small bit but is easily replaced.

R&R Resin has '72 Vega Wagon, but I don't know if it's still available. http://resinrealm.net/GALLERIES/RRGallery/

1367.jpg

2262.jpg

Also I don't know about the quality.

But someone (AMT, MPC?) has made a '71 or '72 Vega in kit form, it was a Funny Car, but the body looks pretty close to stock (I'm not completely sure because the body that I have is missing lots of parts, for example the roof and part of the nose). Anyway that kit might be really hard to find, so maybe that resin body would be an easier choice?

But someone (AMT, MPC?) has made a '71 or '72 Vega in kit form, it was a Funny Car, but the body looks pretty close to stock (I'm not completely sure because the body that I have is missing lots of parts, for example the roof and part of the nose). Anyway that kit might be really hard to find, so maybe that resin body would be an easier choice?

MPC did a Vega "Wagon" funny car (Vegabond? plus other variants) - but…it has a molded in hood with a large opening at the back for the blower and a spot cut out of the windshild for the hood scoop. You could bash it with a regular Vega…unless there is another version I am not thinking of..

The early, small bumper Vegas are the hardest lot to find - they still are on eBay regularly, but you have to spend $50 or more to get one.

R&R Resin has '72 Vega Wagon, but I don't know if it's still available. http://resinrealm.net/GALLERIES/RRGallery/

Also I don't know about the quality.

MPC did stock '71-73 Vega hatchbacks, AMT did a Vega wagon funny car, but the body proportions weren't stock IIRC--the rear was shortened.

Thank you! ill check in on availability of the resin kit, its a shame that kit manufacturers pretty much ignore the H-bodies in the new full detail kits these days. Most of them are very cool cars.

While mint, sealed Vega annual kits are a bit on the pricey side, excellent promos can still be had for $30 and up, so you have options. I think the Twister "Vega"/Monza S released by Stevens International a few years back is the last of the line for the MPC annual tooling, so it would require a ton of work to backdate the kit to near-stock specs, and I doubt Round2 is that ambitious.

$(KGrHqFHJBUFI12M,NPRBSNgYd0B5Q~~60_57.J

AMT-38482-2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how many different castings it is made of the AMT Ford pinto and also the MPC Pinto?

Does Any resin or photo-etch maker Do Any up-dated parts or emblems to this little cool car :)

I know that AMT have Done 71,72,73,74,75,76,77,

MPC, 74,75,76,78, 80. And also two wagons,year? Is this the complete line of pinto kits? Or have i missed Any kit?

If you have Any Pinto builds, i would love to see them.

Any information you have about these kits, please drop a line here.

Fred

As far as I know, nobody does photoetch for these kits. Norm Veber used to but, I think I got the last set and I am holding on to them. If they will work for you, I do decals for the emblems in my resin 71-73 Pinto Wagon. PM if you need a set.

Your info is pretty correct. Just to clarify a few things. MPC did 77-78 and, 79-80 Wagons. As far as I know, they never did a non wagon 79-80.

For what it is worth, the MPC kits are much nicer.

Edited by Kris Morgan

There's quite a few more out there! Promos, dirt track racers, motorized promos, etc. just type in "Pinto" in the Ebay search, in the model kits section and you'll see many different items!

I just acquired what I consider to be the rarest Pinto kits. The Gapp and Roush pro stock Pinto and the Dyno Don pro stock Pinto kits.

Edited by Ben