Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

This is my HOLY GRAIL I spent 10 years chasing it and finally was lucky enough to find one . This one is mint and I have been looking for another ...builder ,scrap car, or anything and have never found one , I have only seen 3 in my lifetime. I guess I'll have to get it casted

Chuck

and NO !!!!!!!!! ITS NOT FOR SALE OR TRADE LOL

Well it's good to see you're doing the right thing and hot rodding it.

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

I was looking over a Fotki album of Air Trax resin kits and saw this kit:

I am always on the look out for long roofs - now I will have to keep an eye out for this - 1/32 scale doesn't bother me as it is still a full detail kit.

Start saving your pennies. This is going to be expensive.

This is a really neat thread. It seems like the perfect place to ask a question. When I was a kid, I remember a buddy of mine having a couple of kits that were from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean. If I remember correctly, they all had some sort of action to them. Does anybody else remember these kits?

I LOVE this stuff!

Oddest Box art is a tossup between the AARI cop car kits and the old Hubley '60 Ford wagon kit.

The AARI Dodge/Plymouth Police car kits showed some kind of gunfight/shootout between the San Diego County Sheriff's Department and some miscreant, but the distances reminded me of the old Naked Gun TV and movies where the combatants were a couple of feet apart...

The Hubley Ford Wagon art was dumb even when I was a little kid... the wagon, festooned with dopey flame decals, tack-on mirrors. antennas and spotlights, was depicted as competing... winning!... a dirt track stock car race, with the flagman leaping skyward waving the Checker as the car careened through a corner, its inboard wheels aloft. It was a confusing image probably rendered by a 'square' illustrator who had never seen or heard of any racing events ever. Funny. Dumb. So bad it was good.

The AARi kits got critical of American society through the 70s and 80s and I always thought they should have been more appreciative of the market. After all, we were buying their kits not to build, but to mine for parts!

I remember those Pirates of the Caribbean kits! I know i had the "Hoist high the Jolly Roger"!It was activated by a rubber band inside the pirate's body that made it swing the sword!I also remember the" Vampires Midnight Surprise" where the Vampire's swinging arm knocked off a gargoyle's head on a tombstone to reveal a yellow smiley face.Great stuff from MPC!

I had two of the MPC PoC kits and traded them away because I felt I will never be able to accumulate the complete range, and someone else was only missing the two kits I had. So there is now one complete collection out there.

I bet the kits arrrrrrrr mentioned in here:

pirateencyclo.jpg

The AARI Dodge/Plymouth Police car kits showed some kind of gunfight/shootout between the San Diego County Sheriff's Department and some miscreant, but the distances reminded me of the old Naked Gun TV and movies where the combatants were a couple of feet apart...

Actually, that's a normal distance in most circumstances.

G

The other kits I remember as a kid were the giant insect monster kits. There was a Tarantula, a scorpion, a preying mantis, and a Hornet. I know that 3 of them were re-produced a few years ago, but the hornet was not because the tooling was lost for the wings.(or so I've been told) I have the complete set. The tarantula is built. (i'll post some pics later), the scorpion is in progress, and the other 2 are still in the boxes.

Maybe not quite as obscure across the pond, but over here, Zodiac kits are definitely obscure, and Airfix kits in general (automotive subjects in particular) seem to be few and far between.

Let me guess, Christian has one of these. :D