Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Model building going to die off after our Generation goes?

I'm just tired of the attitude so many of the older crowd have towards anything modern, be it cars or technology. They are free to live in the past and wallow in their nostalgia, but I'm more interested in the subjects of my era that are underserved by the model companies....equally legitimate kit subjects as the older subjects.

And that attitude almost comes off like this their hobby and only the cars they like should be made into kits, The automotive world didn't come to stop at the end of the 60's, although many feel it did, but truth be told, it didn't.

Cars from the last 40 years are just as important as the from 50 + years ago, but its time move forward a few decades and start maybe kitting a little more newer cars, and when I say newer, I mean from the 70's and up through 90's.

Oh but I DO comprehend it GrassHopper, and why are you getting so angry?

Like I said, there have been no Cars produced in YOUR lifetime, only tiny silly inartistic boxes built by Government regulations.

In case you haven't noticed, even the backseat of cars in YOUR lifetime is only functional for carrying groceries and small dogs.

But hey, if that satisfies your needs and your taste, buy the Models that represent them.

CadillacPat

Why do you have a problem with us wanting build kits of newer cars?

I have a problem with the newer cars because I don't know to wire the engines. They just look so complicated to me. I open the hood of my 2010 Nissan Frontier and have no idea what's what in the engine compartment.

Well because they are :lol: , I dont really even try to wire kit engines on newer kits

Why do you have a problem with us wanting build kits of newer cars?

No one has any problems with ANYONE building what they like. Most of us oldsters are just a little jaded because we come from an era when cars were designed with two things in mind. Horsepower and looks. Every car back then was designed by an artist. Designed to be pleasing to the eye. To be original.

Lets face it, most of that sort of thinking has been bred out of modern car designers my rules/restrictions/safety.

Edited by Jantrix

Well because they are :lol: , I dont really even try to wire kit engines on newer kits

Is it against the rules to take a newer car and put an older engine in it? I caught all kinds of heck for putting a BB Chevy engine in a Nissan Skyline (it fit perfect under the hood). I hate all that pollution garbage they put on cars. California was supposed to be a leader in getting rid of air pollution but it turns out that Bakersfield, CA is the most air polluted city in the USA (according to Bay News 9 last night).

I'd rather scratchbuild the parts than screw around with the 3D modeling program :lol:

Oh no. I will use the heck out of this when this technology becomes available. I have no problems scratchbuilding, but if I need four of something, I'd much rather make one and 3D print the rest.

I think it might be, unless you hook all the smog controls and everything that goes along with it

Oh no. I will use the heck out of this when this technology becomes available. I have no problems scratchbuilding, but if I need four of something, I'd much rather make one and 3D print the rest.

Same here, it will save so much time

Is it against the rules to take a newer car and put an older engine in it? I caught all kinds of heck for putting a BB Chevy engine in a Nissan Skyline (it fit perfect under the hood). I hate all that pollution garbage they put on cars. California was supposed to be a leader in getting rid of air pollution but it turns out that Bakersfield, CA is the most air polluted city in the USA (according to Bay News 9 last night).

I wouldn't try it..you would end up w/ an unreigsterable vehicle in most places..not to mention voiding the warranty. Besides, today's engines are more efficient, usually more powerful and definitely cleaner than old engines..

As far as 3D printing and modeling, that's definitely something I want to play with..I do want to learn 3D modeling, being a software engineer I love experimenting w/ software and learning new systems...

In regards to the future of our hobby resting in 3D technology, we're not quite there yet. This is a rapid prototype 1/25 wheel for an 80's vintage Jeep Grand Cherokee. The texture is of beach sand. Someone here was kind enough to share these wheels with me, but I have doubts that I can work these to a smooth finish. UploadFeb15201101009-vi.jpg

Each year, each manufcturer, each model spoke to us with a different voice screaming, "Look at me Man."

The interiors and dash layouts were as beautiful as the artisan sculpting of the sheet metal bodies.

Body styles changed dramatically each year promising us that our love for automobiles would always be rewarded with new fantastic designs.

Engine and power options were unlimited from the factory or the aftermarket.

The cars were drop dead gorgeous, completely functional and fun to drive.

We simply were part of the most fantastic 2 1/2 decades ever of American Automobiles and once the failsafe switch was pushed in '73 there was no returning to cars being made as they were.

Cadillac Pat

I think this has a lot to do with it. Newer cars with anti-lock brakes, anti-skid, front-wheel-drive, variable ratio trannys, etc. are just not as fun to drive. How do you do donuts in the parking lot if the car won't let you? And if they're not fun how do you get emotionally attached? That's what it boils down to, our emotional attachment to our vehicles. Why else do threads like this generate so much excitement? I don't hear any calls for someone to kit a 2012 Ford Focus, Chevy Nova, or Honda Civic.

Each year, each manufcturer, each model spoke to us with a different voice screaming, "Look at me Man."

The interiors and dash layouts were as beautiful as the artisan sculpting of the sheet metal bodies.

Body styles changed dramatically each year promising us that our love for automobiles would always be rewarded with new fantastic designs.

Engine and power options were unlimited from the factory or the aftermarket.

The cars were drop dead gorgeous, completely functional and fun to drive.

We simply were part of the most fantastic 2 1/2 decades ever of American Automobiles and once the failsafe switch was pushed in '73 there was no returning to cars being made as they were.

Cadillac Pat

I think this has a lot to do with it. Newer cars with anti-lock brakes, anti-skid, front-wheel-drive, variable ratio trannys, etc. are just not as fun to drive. How do you do donuts in the parking lot if the car won't let you? And if they're not fun how do you get emotionally attached? That's what it boils down to, our emotional attachment to our vehicles. Why else do threads like this generate so much excitement? I don't hear any calls for someone to kit a 2012 Ford Focus, Chevy Nova, or Honda Civic.

So becasue of all that, new cars dont deserve to kitted?, just a question, I would like to see a 2012 Focus kitted, not that I would own one, but I still like it, well the hatchback version anyways.

Again, just because you dont feel they should be, doesn't mean other people do

But let me ask this, how long can the Model Company's keep issuing cars that are five or more decades old, I dont know what its like to own cars that have no driver aids, well I did for a short time.

So its not fair to my generation now is it, to say well your era of cars are too modern, and are not fun to drive, so they dont deserve to be kitted.

What I am seeing on here is a lot of narrow mindedness , that only cars from the 60's back are the best and everything else is junk, a lot of them are, yes, but this my era of cars, these are the cars that I know and grew with and see everyday, so they have every right to put into kit form, like it or not, this just not the baby boomer's hobby

Edited by martinfan5

The cars of the fifties, sixties, and seventies are classics and will always be available as long as models are being made, I hope that for their own sake that the US kit makers retool some of their aging models though. Like AMT did with their 57 Chevy it would be great to get new tools of classics like a 63 split window Vette, a 68/69 Chevelle, a 71-73 Mustang, and many more. On the other hand, as modelers of my generation become more of a force in the market I hope they do make some newer subject matter. Case in point, while I love classic cars I'm just not at a point in my life to own and restore an aging muscle car so when I wanted something to work on and be my daily driver and performance project I bought something newer. I would love to be able to get a model of my 95 SC300, the closest I was able to come is a curbside 92 with a slightly different front end from Fujimi(?) and rob the engine from Tamiyas MKIV Supra. Just as the older generation likes to relive their first car or some other auto related milestone we would like the same thing without have to resort to diecast or kitbashing.

100_2149.jpg

I never said it was bad, that Charger is awesome. I've got three different versions of Chargers that syle in the works right now but I don't have a personal connection to them, they are more like a daydream than a memory. I have a personal connection to my car, I would love to build my car just the way I want it and get to enjoy what it could look like some day.

Edited by Fat Brian

There hasn't been a Chevy Nova since 1988. There are lots of exciting, fun to drive cars today...Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Challenger, various Cadillacs, etc...

ThIs thread has taken a few turns!

Think of this:

If all the kit manufacturers went out of business today, how many generations would still have models to build just using all the kits in our stashes that we will probably never build anyway?

Edited by Erik Smith