Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Ebay Score

l can't say l have really had a real good score on Ebay. Tend to get out bid at the last few Seconds. My best score was a semi trailer and transformers for 10 bucks and l got a dodge short wheelbase bed new also. So whats your best ebay score??

Best ebay score I've ever had was NOS 1/1 car parts. I sell 1/1 Mopar restoration parts full time.

Best ebay score model wise I think would have been a dark blue MPC 1971 challenger dealership promo, bought it for less than $100 - sold it maybe 2 or 3 months later for over $350. It was not in the right catagory and had no good search words in the add for anyone looking for such to find it. I stumbled on it by looking for something esle not even related to model kits/cars.

My best. Well there's two.. first is the sealed 81 issue 1/16th general Lee for $100.00 from our forum leader Gregg....

An second would have to be the 77 volare sealed for 58. Shipped..

One more the gone fishing set with the ramcharger bin 20.00 an 7 shipping ..

As much as I DISLIKE the bay, I gotta admit I do use it. I got a 70 Roadrunner AND GTX by JoHan from it, both my MPC's 70 and 71 Cuda's( one I got from my buddy Kelli Chrome) An quite a few more very wanted models. BUT I STILL get my BEST deals from goin to the NNL's around here. I go to Sylvania every year since 08, and we have a BIG toyshow twice a year at MCCC which I always attend.

1. A 1975 reprint of a full-color 1933 Mercedes SS/SSK sales brochure, several pages, in perfect condition and like new. $15.

2. A 1950s reprint of a 1932 German-language Mercedes SS/SSK owner's manual, using original printing plates. 92 pages, like new. $35.

My contact at the Mercedes factory's Classic Center in California tells me they don't even have these, original or reprint. Invaluable for the research I've done for my 1/16 Mercedes SS.

Best deal I got was a lot with a crappy description, no mention of what the kits were, so only the picture told you what it was. For $10 I got Revell's Tuner series Datsun 510, AMT reissued Barris' T Buggy, AMT 34 Ford 5 window, and a Thunderbird Nascar-McDonalds that I ended up trading for a Revell Richie Ginther Porsche 914-6, missing the windshield.

Edited by Zarana-X

Well, my all-time best screamin' eBay deal has to have been the 1:1 1966 Corvair Monza coupe with a solid and straight body and a heavily tweaked engine and suspension, with only 47,500 original miles for $4,300. That car could easily show it's taillights to any 5.0 Mostang driver stupid enough to try anything at a traffic light... and did on several occasions! I also outran a BMW Z-3 with it on a twisty 10-mile stretch of Pocono mountain back road at one point. That car became my daily driver for several years until I decided that I didn't want to subject it to yet another winter of Pennsylvania's notorious road salt. I owned that car for about 7 years and about 20,000 miles. I had to sell it because of the economy going down the tubes over the past few years. We have only 2 drivers in our household and had three cars and no off-street parking. If we had a garage we could have gotten collector's insurance on the car at less than $100/year but as it was we had to pay full boat on it. I had a standing offer on it from a good friend so I sold it to him about 3 years ago for $3,800. By that time the car was really beginning to show the effects of being parked outside. The infusion of cash along with the lower car insurance bill every 3 months kept our heads above water and kept our house out of foreclosure (PHEW!). The guy I sold it to has since done a full cosmetic restoration on it inside and out. It didn't need anything mechanically. I'd say seven years of incredibly enjoyable driving that wound up costing me about $500 was money well spent... and I have right of first refusal should he ever decide to sell the car!

My best Ebay score was an OOP Esci Rabbit GTI kit for $3.99 plus 6 bucks for shipping; those kits rarely pop up for less than 20 beans unbuilt. The seller misspelled 'Volkswagen' in their listing, so I was the only bid, and I got it for the opening bid amount.

Best deal ever on the 'bay was actually a 1:1 engine...

One of our Mustangs ('87 Coupe) runs a turbocharged 4 cylinder, and I'm always on the lookout for "spare parts". I did my usual search "ford 2.3" and found an engine on one of the last pages that was pulled from a Ranger with 47k on it and 20 miles from my house. Since it had the correct bottom end for what we run (minus the cast pistons), I figured "might as well" and bid a dollar on the $0.99 he had started the auction as.

About 5-6 days went by and I had actually completely forgot about it, until I checked my email and found out I had won for 99 cents. :lol:

I called the guy and met him at the warehouse he worked at with my buddy's F250 and it was all nicely strapped to a pallet and wrapped in plastic. I gave him a dollar and said "keep the change" LOL.... and he loaded right into the truck with a forklift!

I actually felt kinda bad when I got home. I unwrapped it and EVERYTHING was there, from pan to throttle body... had all the accessories, wiring harness, etc... Only thing wrong with it was the water pump pulley was crunched from the accident it was in. The oil was SUPER clean, everything looked new when I tore it down. It had practically brand new motorcraft wires and plugs. It was obviously well taken care of...

Wish I could find some more deals like that! :)

A few years back, I spotted an AMT '66 Mercury kit (the rare "Show Car" second issue). Starting bid, $9.99. The one or two of those I'd seen previously sold in the $75 range (yes, for a '66 Merc; this was before RC2/Ertl brought it back the last time). Neither of the ones I'd seen previously were sealed like this one. The auction ended on a Sunday afternoon, and at that time I would be driving back home from the Three Rivers meet in Pittsburgh. I always like to bid in the last few seconds, but that wasn't possible this time so I placed a bid. I went in on the high side but figured since this was a sealed kit someone would want it more badly than me. When I got home and checked my e-mails, I found out I did get the kit...for $9.99! Nobody else bid on it. The shrinkwrap is legit, in fact someone marked it (on the box bottom) that they had bought the kit at a toy show in 1983.

Last night, I picked up a Revell late-Fifties Porsche Carrera kit for $10.50. Nice box, sealed parts bag (everything is in one bag, including the tires which are two-piece styrene). This is the original stock version of the racing Speedster that Revell has reissued several times. The stock version was issued only once. You don't see built stock ones because the windshield frame is extremely thin, and the kit didn't have molded clear parts. They expected you to bend that thin clear sheet styrene and glue it to the thin windshield frame! I've got a couple of these kits already, plans are to carve a form and vacuform a windshield that will fit the frame without pulling it out of shape. This one looks so good I'll probably just leave it alone. Even with shipping figured in, there aren't too many fifty-years-old-plus kits that sell for $20. If Revell reissued the kit today, it would sell for more than that.

On the flip side, I sold some Digger 'Cuda parts (upper/lower body halves and bare frame, no other parts). Bought at a swap meet for $8, two or three guys slugged it out with the winner paying $114. He was happy to get it too, gave me great feedback. Of course, a few years later it was reissued...