Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't get it!

That's one of the main reasons I agree that the two section should become one, as others have suggested in this topic. There is a lot of overlap, and both are basically "How To" type sections. There's not much difference between a "How do I strip Testors enamel paint?" and "Here's how I use SuperClean to strip paint", though each fits into a different section the way they are posted.

I like the idea of those two sections (or one :D ) being moved up the forum page, too, as I think that technical knowledge is one of the main reasons people visit this forum. Plus, the knowledge and information in that section is what forms the core of a forum such as this. Good, helpful, accurate information on how to build models is timeless, universal, and something we all can learn from, no matter how long we've been building.

Strongly agree. This would also reinforce the FAQ nature of the pinned subjects in Tips/Tricks.

It always made sense to me to have questions and tips as separate items... but maybe not.

So if we combine them into one "Modeling Questions, Tips, Tricks and Tutorials" section, what do we call that forum section? Same thing? Or something like "Modeling Help" or "How To Do It" or something?

It always made sense to me to have questions and tips as separate items... but maybe not.

So if we combine them into one "Modeling Questions, Tips, Tricks and Tutorials" section, what do we call that forum section? Same thing? Or something like "Modeling Help" or "How To Do It" or something?

I like something as simple as "How To" -- A place for questions and tips.

I personally think Q&A should still be a separate heading...where you go to ASK a specific question AFTER you've done your own homework by scanning through the Tips, Tricks etc. section, and haven't found a complete answer, or need clarification. There are literally THOUSANDS of possible technical questions regarding engineering and correct practice on 1:1 vehicles (just to name one topic) that could get buried in an all-encompassing, one-stop heading. Just an opinion.

I usually scan the questions column daily and answer or update what I have accurate and complete information on, but I rarely scan the tips heading. Again, just my personal preference.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Well, that was kinda what I meant when I suggested combining them and calling it "Modelling Advice"... it can be "advice wanted" or "advice offered"...

bestest,

M.

How To Do It - Questions, Answers, Tips & Techniques for Building Models

:unsure: Not an easy one to title. B)

How To Do It - Questions, Answers, Tips & Techniques for Building Models

:unsure: Not an easy one to title. B)

Sold, as far as I'm concerned.

The only downside I can see is that questions need to have question titles (How do I ?, etc.) and that is not likely to happen because there are so many members who don't know how to write a decent thread title.

Edited by sjordan2

Sold, as far as I'm concerned.

The only downside I can see is that questions need to have question titles (How do I ?, etc.) and that is not likely to happen because there are so many members who don't know how to write a decent thread title.

YEP!

The...downside I can see is that questions need to have question titles (How do I ?, etc.) and that is not likely to happen because there are so many members who don't know how to write a decent thread title.

Exactly, so it's still my contention it's going to be more effective (in terms of efficient use of the board and interaction with ALL members) to move the occasional question into the "Question" area than it is to teach effective communication in English. Obviously the schools can't do it, so it must be perceived as unnecessary in 21st century America. It's hard to buck a trend that's seemingly so all-pervasive.

Maybe spelling out "QUESTIONS & ANSWERS" (since "Q&A" has been pointed out as being too hard to interpret) could be of some help (EDIT: NEVER MIND. I see it's been done) but I still am incapable of grasping why it's perceived as difficult, distinguishing between a heading where you go to to ASK a specific question, and a heading where you go to RESEARCH techniques that have long threads already, and MUCH useful information that often makes (or SHOULD often make) ASKING unnecessary.

And of course there's the argument that once a question is answered, it becomes a "tip or trick" (I believe that's the justification for advocating combining the two topics, correct?) but I don't buy it, partially because that would put even more demand on some less-than-stellar reading and comprehension skills, to interpret which is which and sort it all out.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

how many modeling questions have not already been answered in the how to? Can't be too many.

In my opinion it kind of falls into the REDUNDANCY department of REDUNUDANCY category

Its like a guy asking for LT1 pictures, the answer is google.

Maybe instead of a Q&A just have a google, bing or ask link posted.

That would be the easiest

Edited by mistermodel

how many modeling questions have not already been answered in the how to? Can't be too many.

In my opinion it kind of falls into the REDUNDANCY department of REDUNUDANCY category

Its like a guy asking for LT1 pictures, the answer is google.

Maybe instead of a Q&A just have a google, bing or ask link posted.

That would be the easiest

New people keep coming into the hobby, so the same questions will continue to get asked time and again. I see no problem with that. Sure, a lot of us already know the answers to a lot of the questions being asked, but if you're a new member or new to the hobby and you come here asking a specific question, I think it's better if we answer that question (yeah, maybe for the umpteenth time) than to "help" a person by saying "Do a google search and look it up yourself."

New people keep coming into the hobby, so the same questions will continue to get asked time and again. I see no problem with that. Sure, a lot of us already know the answers to a lot of the questions being asked, but if you're a new member or new to the hobby and you come here asking a specific question, I think it's better if we answer that question (yeah, maybe for the umpteenth time) than to "help" a person by saying "Do a google search and look it up yourself."

This is spot on Harry . By asking a question you can start a conversation. You can do the same with the answer. One day you might need something also. like a hood or decal sheet . People remember the nice ones.

I still am incapable of grasping why it's perceived as difficult, distinguishing between a heading where you go to to ASK a specific question, and a heading where you go to RESEARCH techniques that have long threads already, and MUCH useful information that often makes (or SHOULD often make) ASKING unnecessary.

It's not a matter of where you go to ask the question, it's a matter of where you find the answer... If I want to know how best to apply BMF to a window frame, do I look in Q&A to see if the question has been asked and answered, or do I look in T,T & T to see if someone has left a tutorial?

On the modelling forum where I'm an Admin, we have a section called "Modelling Techniques" with sub forums for "Construction Tips" (building, fitting, gluing etc), Finishing Tips (painting, decalling, weathering etc), "Model Photography" (how to photograph your creations) and "Display and Diorama" (showing off your finished models). How to used BMF comes under "Finishing", and if I look in there, the chances are I'll find a tutorial "pinned" at the top, if someone's written one. I can search that forum for "BMF" to find questions that have been answered, and if there's nothing there already, I can ask the question and wait for answers. As moderators, if we find a thread that has thoroughly explored a specific subject in response to a question, we can pin that thread at the top, too, so that in future it can act as a tutorial.

YMMV, and clearly, from this discussion, does...

bestest,

M.

It's not a matter of where you go to ask the question, it's a matter of where you find the answer... If I want to know how best to apply BMF to a window frame, do I look in Q&A to see if the question has been asked and answered, or do I look in T,T & T to see if someone has left a tutorial?

On the modelling forum where I'm an Admin, we have a section called "Modelling Techniques" with sub forums for "Construction Tips" (building, fitting, gluing etc), Finishing Tips (painting, decalling, weathering etc), "Model Photography" (how to photograph your creations) and "Display and Diorama" (showing off your finished models). How to used BMF comes under "Finishing", and if I look in there, the chances are I'll find a tutorial "pinned" at the top, if someone's written one. I can search that forum for "BMF" to find questions that have been answered, and if there's nothing there already, I can ask the question and wait for answers. As moderators, if we find a thread that has thoroughly explored a specific subject in response to a question, we can pin that thread at the top, too, so that in future it can act as a tutorial.

YMMV, and clearly, from this discussion, does...

bestest,

M.

And every "solution" creates a new problem.

In your system, where do I ask about the availability of a certain set of specific tires I might be looking for? It's not really "fitting and gluing," not really "painting, decalling and weathering," certainly not "photography"...

No matter how you arrange things, one can always find faults.

I think we'll keep questions and tips separated.

If I'm a new guy and I have a specific question I need answered, it's much easier for me to post my question and wait for the answer instead of looking through dozens of existing questions, trying to see if someone already asked/answered my question.

Yeah, the new guy's question may have already been asked and answered previously, maybe more than once. But I think that no mater how many times a question gets asked, there will always be someone willing to jump in and answer it. And IMO, keeping the questions apart from the tips just makes things easier in the long run. Maybe it's a fine point, but I think it's valid.

If I'm a new guy and I have a specific question I need answered, it's much easier for me to post my question and wait for the answer instead of looking through dozens of existing questions, trying to see if someone already asked/answered my question.

Yeah, the new guy's question may have already been asked and answered previously, maybe more than once. But I think that no mater how many times a question gets asked, there will always be someone willing to jump in and answer it. And IMO, keeping the questions apart from the tips just makes things easier in the long run. Maybe it's a fine point, but I think it's valid.

I agree. And some folks are looking for some human interaction, or someone they can ask a question or ask for further detail of the tip. That's the difference between reading something in a magazine or a message board.

The one thing I don't like on this board is when someone asks a question and a moderator takes that new thread and adds it to the end of some five year old thread on the same topic, that has 10 pages of inside jokes and missing photos. Nobody wants to wade through all that. And a newbie maybe won't find it and think you deleted his thread.

Oh, and don't discount a thread because you think you know all the answers. Sometimes someone has come up with a new solution / product to solve an old problem. Especially the newbies. Don't assume they are know nothings new to the hobby. A lot of board newbies are accomplished modelers who just happened to stumble onto the board.

I agree. And some folks are looking for some human interaction, or someone they can ask a question or ask for further detail of the tip. That's the difference between reading something in a magazine or a message board.

The one thing I don't like on this board is when someone asks a question and a moderator takes that new thread and adds it to the end of some five year old thread on the same topic, that has 10 pages of inside jokes and missing photos. Nobody wants to wade through all that. And a newbie maybe won't find it and think you deleted his thread.

Oh, and don't discount a thread because you think you know all the answers. Sometimes someone has come up with a new solution / product to solve an old problem. Especially the newbies. Don't assume they are know nothings new to the hobby. A lot of board newbies are accomplished modelers who just happened to stumble onto the board.

Well said, Tom.

FWIW, I'm in agreement!

Oh, that is so true! Is better to just answer the question, then to show how "snarky/cool" one can be. It's a matter of decency and respect.

Just like the "clearcoating race cars" thread. That topic comes up three to four time a year, and will continue to come up. :rolleyes: I try to give my fair two cents when it does...but it does get exasperating at times.

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Oh, that is so true! Is better to just answer the question, then to show how "snarky/cool" one can be. It's a matter of decency and respect.

Just like the "clearcoating race cars" thread. That topic comes up three to four time a year, and will continue to come up. :rolleyes: I try to give my fair two cents when it does...but it does get exasperating at times.

Look at how many times someone posts a question asking for the definition of a term or word.

All that requires is for them to Google it.

Explaining procedures for a technique is different.

Simple one word definitions should be Googled or Searched.

CadillacPat

Nothing about an online modeling forum should ever be exasperating! (Unless you're a mod, of course!).

Just ignore the stuff that exasperates you! If someone is asking what's the best glue to use, either just answer the question, or ignore it and let someone else answer. Why let anything here bug you? It's a hobby... we're here to have fun, remember?