Model Cars Magazine Forum

McQ's '73 Trans Am

mrmike

I have this Trans Am lanquishing on the shelf and it is in need of a rebuild. I have been toying with the idea of converting it to McQ's '73 Trans Am. Now, if you are not familiar with McQ, here's a little back story. McQ is a motion picture starring John Wayne and it was released to theaters in 1974. McQ is a police detective living in Seattle, Washington and he, like many other detectives on TV and the movies, has his own style of detecting. He becomes embroiled in a case of drugs and murder while trying to deal with corruption within the Police Department. His vehicle of choice is a dark green '73 Trans Am, which seems like an unlikely car for the Duke due to his size. The dark green color harkens back to Steve McQueen's Bullitt and his '68 Mustang GT as a bit of a tribute.

McQ03.jpg

I present to you my Pontiac Trans Am that I built back sometime in the '90's.

McQ01.jpg

For now, my plan calls for Model Master #28120 Fathom Green Metallic. I do believe that the McQ Trans Am was Brewster Green but none of that color exists in hobby paint and I am not about to special order any paint.

McQ02.jpg

First order of business is deconstruction and a good cleaning! Then, it'll be prep for paint.

More to come...

The early Firebirds are my favorite compared to the later Firebirds. The later Firebirds lacked in the brute force that the earlier Firebirds had. This wasn't one of The Duke's better movies, but it does have it's moments. The car sound effects were typical of a Warner Bros. movie for the time...stolen from Bullitt. But, it was kind of nice to see John Wayne in a different type of role. I am hoping that Fathom Green Metallic is close to that of Brewster Green.

Last night before I turned in, I blew apart the T/A. These parts will be cleaned and stripped.

McQ04.jpg

These parts will be cleaned and freshened up.

McQ05.jpg

The body parts are under a good coating of Easy-Off.

McQ06.jpg

More to come...

None that I am aware of. That doesn't mean there wasn't any changes made since the 1970 1/2 introduction. I am proceeding on the premise that there wasn't any changes made and will finish the Trans Am as a 1973 model driven by The Duke in the movie.

While doing some research, I looked at the steering wheel and noticed the closed holes in the spokes. I said to myself, "I've gotta open those!"

McQ07.jpg

I rinsed off the body that had been soaking in Easy-Off since this morning and with an old nail brush, I removed the decals, enamel clearcoat, and some of the trim paint. When the body is dry, I'll start prepping for paint and reattach the side mirrors and rear spoiler. The nose piece will be painted seperately and reattached during assembly.

McQ08.jpg

Even the wheels look great! I wished Revell had used these in the '69 GTO The Judge kit instead of the shallow ones.

McQ09.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Looking good so far. I always like these in the green. As for as changes go, the only visible differences are the seats. The low back with the adjustable head rest was 701/2 only after that they used the high back style seat with some different upolstery depending on option. But that only matters to the rivet counters. Keep going I'm looking forward to seeing done. Jeff

I suspected that the interior had the changes made to it. But, I haven't had the time to thoroughly research that generation of the Firebird.

I've been piecing the body back together. Some additional cleanup and it'll be ready for primer.

McQ10.jpg

McQ11.jpg

One thing I noticed on McQ's Trans Am was that it had a chrome drip rail over the side windows and additional chrome here and there. Using some .010 x .030 Evergreen Strip Styrene, I added the drip rail.

McQ12.jpg

More to come...

I did the same thing last year. It's in the "under glass" section. At least you won't need decals as the car was decal delete. Only thing is the MM Fathom Green didn't look right...it wasn't dark enough and had too much metallic in it. I ended up stripping the hood/body and used Dupli-Color Perfect Match BGM0518 GM Emerald Green Metallic and cleared with Tester's One Coat "Wet Look" Clear. It looks a lot closer to the Brewster Green.

I did the same thing last year. It's in the "under glass" section. At least you won't need decals as the car was decal delete. Only thing is the MM Fathom Green didn't look right...it wasn't dark enough and had too much metallic in it. I ended up stripping the hood/body and used Dupli-Color Perfect Match BGM0518 GM Emerald Green Metallic and cleared with Tester's One Coat "Wet Look" Clear. It looks a lot closer to the Brewster Green.

I tried to find your T/A in Under Glass, but I was unable to find it. When I started this project, I had decided not to special order any paint and I am not about to search through all the auto shops in my city looking for a specific color. I have the paint on hand and it cost me very little to purchase it and so I will use it. I appreciate your information and I'll make another attempt at finding your completed T/A. Thanks!

Thanks guys for the help! This happens to be my favorite Firebird body style, too!

After much thought and research, I have changed my mind on the paint. To me, Brewster Green is not a metallic color. So, Fathom Green Metallic is out and in its place will be Tamiya TS-9 British Green. This paint looks closer to Brewster Green than any of the others I have looked at.

McQ13.jpg

Tonight, I took the engine apart and painted the engine block with Model Master Pontiac Engine Blue Metallic. The intake will be repainted along with the pulley/belt assembly, power steering pump//alternator assembly, and the exhaust manifolds.

McQ15.jpg

McQ14.jpg

More to come..

It not the greatest of The Duke's movies, but it was a different type of role for him. I read that he turned down the role of Dirty Harry when it was offered to him.

Well, painting the body is on hold as a friend of mine is sending me a 12 oz. can of Brewster Green automotive paint. So, I'll pay attention to the rest of the build until the paint arrives.

I read that he turned down the role of Dirty Harry when it was offered to him.

Not surprising. The Duke really preferred more family friendly films. Clint has said in interviews after John had died that the level of violence in Clint's movies was a subject of some contention between the two of them.

Thanks Carl! As far as I know, Brewster Green is a solid, non metallic color. I want to be as close to the 1:1 car as I can since I may use this model for my club's Club Challenge during our show on October 6,2013.

Rob, this does not surprise me as the violence in the Duke's movies was never at the level of Clint's. While I could see John Wayne as Dirty Harry, he just wouldn't be as violent as Clint's version.

Thanks Fabrizio!

I detailed the dash this afternoon. Have a look...

McQ16.jpg

The chassis has been repainted and the front and rear suspensions have been installed.

McQ17.jpg

The 400 CI Poncho motor has been installed into the chassis.

McQ18.jpg

More to come...

on pontiac engines there is a water passage from the backside of the top of the water pump to the intake manifold (if you feel like doing that) it would take just a short piece of small evergreen rod to replicate this.