Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Imperial Crown Convertible

realgone58

Just finished last night, this started as an unpainted glue bomb. It is sprayed with Tamiya TS-59 light red pearl because it's just about an exact match for '60 Imperial factory color Dusk Mauve metallic. It has three coats of Dominion hi-build clear on it. Chrome is original except the back bumper is Spaz-stix. I had to refinish the back bumper due to glue marks from a Continental kit. I also retained the original wide whites. In my mind, these are some of the most beautiful automobiles ever made. I owned two 1:1 '60 Imperials, and I wish I still had one. (I know Harry, no mirrors. I'm looking for a suitable pair)

kit%252060%2520imperial%25201.JPG

kit%252060%2520imperial%25202.JPG

kit%252060%2520imperial%25203.JPG

kit%252060%2520imperial%25204.JPG

kit%252060%2520imperial%25205.JPG

kit%252060%2520imperial%25206.JPG

I've been looking for one of those, myself. I wish someone would break down and do a resin copy of the convertible or the Southampton.

Cool color choice, too. Definitely not a common color.

I also understand about mirrors, antennae, etc. I won't put them on if I can't find ones that are at least in the ballpark. One could probably get a nice little business supplying mirrors and antennae and concentrating one them.

Very nicely done, Al.

Charlie Larkin

Agreed; stunning!

We must remember that color-popularity was much different in the late-1950's thru early-1960's then it is now. During that same timeframe, my mother had a Turquoise-colored refrigerator in our kitchen. I'm sure many of you could share a similar story!

A beautiful build!