Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han '75 Oldsmobile Cutlass Snap Kit.

W-409

I saw one of these for sale at a local Model Car Show for a good price. It was still sealed, so I kept it on my shelf for a while, but now I had to open it to see what's inside. My hopes weren't very high with this kit, because I knew it's a Snap Kit and I saw how few parts there were from the building instructions that are on the side and bottom of the box.

The body shapes look very good to me, but it has lots of flash and mold lines to be removed. Also there are a couple of major sink marks that will need some filler. Overall, it looks good, though, but if you want to add an engine and opening hood, you'll need to do a lot of work with styrene and/or kitbashing. I'm not going that route with mine, I'll build this as a Curbside Stock Eliminator Drag Car, and then my '73 Chevelle will be a Full Detail build.

Chassis is really simplified, too. Only separate parts are plastic axles and wheel/tire combos. Everything else is molded in, so careful detail painting is required. Tires are really nice with beautiful white walls, as in many other Jo-Han kits, so they should look good when the model is done.

Interior is very simple, too. It is built from four parts, tub with molded in.... Well, it's easier to tell what is Not molded in: Dash, steering wheel and shifter. Everything else is molded in, so careful detail painting is required there as well. I'm bit disappointed because it has bucket seats, as I'd have preferred a bench seat.

I can't say much about the windows, because the ones my kit had, are from some other Jo-Han kit. :rolleyes:

Chrome parts look very good, though some flash can be found. But otherwise they look great. I'm just afraid of painting the black areas on bumbers...

DSCN8835-vi.jpg
DSCN8837-vi.jpg
DSCN8838-vi.jpg
DSCN8836-vi.jpg
DSCN0219-vi.jpg
DSCN0220-vi.jpg
DSCN0221-vi.jpg
DSCN0223-vi.jpg
DSCN0224-vi.jpg
DSCN0227-vi.jpg

More...

DSCN0225-vi.jpg
DSCN0229-vi.jpg
DSCN0230-vi.jpg
DSCN0233-vi.jpg
DSCN0238-vi.jpg
DSCN0240-vi.jpg
DSCN0236-vi.jpg

Here is a link to my Fotki for all of the pictures. (Yep, not as good as Tim Boyd's reviews, but you'll get an idea what the kit contains :) )

Overall the kit is interesting.

Pros: The subject is very interesting, body looks accurate, nice tires and chrome parts.

Cons: Parts count, amount of flash, mold lines etc on the body. The biggest problem is that this kit is getting Rare and I can't buy a big bunch of them. :lol:

These are very sweet kits! Wish I had more, but they are hen's teeth. They build up simply but nicely and accurately represent one of GM's more striking cars!

Try contacting JoHan. Last that I knew, Okey still had some.

(859) 307-3087

E-Mail = Okeyisnow@gmail.com

WIth a bit of work these Cutlass snap kits can be made into a really nice full detail kit. a good friend David Irwin (minidreams) started on this one, and I acquired it from him. He used toe Revell 72 Cutlass convertible chassis, etc. as it is the same wheelbase.

835453EC-BF9F-401E-9B3D-17741823B1AE_zps

835B1D36-265B-4847-AF8F-4E62DBC6381F_zps

5537BFD2-F706-4D37-9EDF-BC63F59D6123_zps

I have one myself.

I wish Illinois Model Company had managed to release this one

with Rambler wagon & Chrysler Turbine like they promised 2 years ago!!

As for the tires,

I find Almost ALL Jo-Han tires to be VERY Generic!.

No sidewall detail, NO Tread detail!!

Yes, You go t 4 Very Concentric white stripe tires, but still.......

The tires in both versions of the Turbine ARE nice.

"Goodyear Power Cushion", Full Tread detail, AND sidewall!!

They are a litle smaller than the Old MPC Power Cushion,

And Monogram's, and Lindberg's Newer versions..

The Old MPC had straight grove tread detail

like Almost ALL kit/promo tires from the early/mid 60's

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I have one myself.

I wish Illinois Model Company had managed to release this one

with Rambler wagon & Chrysler Turbine like they promised 2 years ago!!

As for the tires,

I find Almost ALL Jo-Han tires to be VERY Generic!.

No sidewall detail, NO Tread detail!!

Yes, You go t 4 Very Concentric white stripe tires, but still.......

The tires in both versions of the Turbine ARE nice.

"Goodyear Power Cushion", Full Tread detail, AND sidewall!!

They are a litle smaller than the Old MPC Power Cushion,

And Monogram's, and Lindberg's Newer versions..

The Old MPC had straight grove tread detail

like Almost ALL kit/promo tires from the early/mid 60's

So close .... I love to pass on the exact details on why this didn't go forward but I'm sure I would find myself at the wrong end of a lawsuit.

It did get as far as being approved the GM licensing agent and would have included new tool Rally wheels and Sport mirrors as well as different tires. All off the original Cutlass promo tooling still exists except for the tires and are here in the US along with the Rambler Wagon and Turbine Car. There were other items too never announced. I have a full test shot of one and seen parts of others.

I will say that there were plans to permanently modify it to a from a Cutlass S to a 442 after the first run. I'm really sorry we couldn't make it happen.

-Steve

Picture151-vi.jpg

Edited by SteveG

It wouldn't seem difficult to modify the Cutlass S to a 442 for a resin caster would it? The question would be, is there enough of a market?

No, not very difficult. The hood is the biggest change. I had some discussion with a well known resin caster here to possibly do some alternate conversion kits like a Hurst Olds or back dating it to a 73 Olds 442. There's others items that can be done with the basic GM "Colonnade" body style.

I think the market would have be better for conversion kits but I would love to be proved wrong.

So close .... I love to pass on the exact details on why this didn't go forward but I'm sure I would find myself at the wrong end of a lawsuit.

It did get as far as being approved the GM licensing agent and would have included new tool Rally wheels and Sport mirrors as well as different tires. All off the original Cutlass promo tooling still exists except for the tires and are here in the US along with the Rambler Wagon and Turbine Car. There were other items too never announced. I have a full test shot of one and seen parts of others.

I will say that there were plans to permanently modify it to a from a Cutlass S to a 442 after the first run. I'm really sorry we couldn't make it happen.

-Steve

Picture151-vi.jpg

Man that is a beautiful Cutlass...!!!!! :)

Scale Equipment Ltd makes a 73 Hurst Olds in resin. For some reason I can't copy/paste the link. Easy enough to find.

I have one. It is pretty well cast, but needs a bit of cleanup. Using the 72 Cutlass chassis etc would save a lot of work on this.

Edited by sfhess

Scale Equipment Ltd makes a 73 Hurst Olds in resin. For some reason I can't copy/paste the link. Easy enough to find.

I have one. It is pretty well cast, but needs a bit of cleanup. Using the 72 Cutlass chassis etc would save a lot of work on this.

T2eC16hzcE9s4g4wYNBRUL-iRCoQ60_57.jpg