Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

I meant "derrieres" as in behinds, backsides, the back of your front, your caboose, a donkey's hind end......not transients and vagabonds

I will have to watch my verbage around you :)

:unsure::lol:

As long as you don't talk behind my back....:rolleyes:

Seats complete...

First an explanation; the seats in many photos I took look like two different color leathers between front and rear. They are not. They ARE very changeable with the light source and type. To prove they're the same here are two shots, the first in natural outdoor light through a window and the second with room light on. They are the same color in each but the bright room light makes the gray lighter. No changes in camera white balance either. The only difference is the sheen of the leather and how it reflects the light. I need to work on the fronts a bit to match the sheen but that's easy after this amount of construction.

Here they are. The seat shells (backs) are not yet glued to the cushion so you may see a small gap at the top there. The major elements are the modified resin MMC seat shapes and sizes, the base attachment method and construction,  the polished aluminum trim, the carpet kick panels on the seat backs and the recessed piping. There are 83 hours in front seat construction to this point, not counting the idea drawings, testing of glues and construction method planning. I'm not proud to tell you that - I struggled with every step on the way as this is my first full leather job (including the rear bench) and a huge learning process at every juncture. Indeed, a miscalculation when I made the tilting pivots caused them to not tilt. But if I can do it, you all can do it. You probably just won't want to. :blink:

The really important and worrisome part was getting the same look / feel / ambiance of all seats at home in the cabin of my luxurious but scruffy Continental touring car. Wear but not tear...I think I got what I was after but everyone's taste is different and many might disagree with what I did. This is certainly not what's usually done with Pocher Sedanca interiors and no 1:1 P II I ever saw was done this way. Although I did study the upholstery patterns extensively. So purists will scoff at this flight of fancy. Discussions invited.

http://

Not to be a wise guy...

but...

shouldn't the carpeting show a similar amount of wear?

Sure it should! But begging 'artistic license' I chose not to snot it up. I wanted a clean 'stage' for the props to sit on so as not to distract from them. The carpet has a pleasing texture for me. Just like the 'illogical plan' I used on the chassis Harry; beautiful bronze and brass axle and linkages on sooty, stained and grimy bits. Your Rolls seats are surgically beautiful and a museum presentation. Mine not so much - but by design. Again not the conventional way these are usually built and not to everyone's taste. But black everything would not reveal how nice those bits really are.

Thank you Mike, you hit it on the head; I'm playing textures off each other. Used leather, nappy carpet, aluminum trim. More to come when the wood is in place on the dash, doors and rear seat platform.

Ok, I guess I'm confused. You weathered parts of the chassis beautifully, yet other parts are showroom fresh.

You show wear and tear on the seats beautifully, yet the carpet is untouched.

I'm confused by your presentation.

You have every right to be. The key is that I didn't construct it as a 'model car' - a complete accurate representation of a prototype. My goal is more a creative work of art which has an automobile as its core. Interesting things to look at and - hopefully aestetic beauty. Layers of detail to stimulate the viewer in a pleasant way. And those things are different for all of us. Think MOMA, not the Schlumpf Collection.

You never saw a P II with a color sweep and tail lights like the Bugatti. But I felt it would add to the flowing lines of chopped top and windscreen, cut down doors and rotated fenders. Shaped by the wind kind of fits. Obviously the seats vs carpet are not the only controversial thing I've done here.

This journey is two years old as of yesterday and I certainly expected to alienate or lose folks along the way. But it's been great talking to those admirers or dissenters. It has added to the enjoyment of this project for me.

Don't take my comments as dissent. Nobody appreciates your work more than I do. Just was a little fuzzy on your intent, which you have explained.

And I yours Harry. Your stuff has inspired me since I got here. Your big Benz opened my eyes as to what advanced things can be done to these big old monsters.

Now I wait, as does the whole rest of the forum, until you pick up the Exacto again...:D

Yeah... just not feeling it right now.

But I will, eventually. I have too much money, time, and effort invested in the woody to just drop it. It'll get done. Same with the Bugatti. But my interest in building seems to come and go... always has... and right now I'm just not motivated. Weird, because last year I think I finished 13 models or so. This year so far, zip.

Let the purists scoff and moan all they want, this sir is outstanding. Yes, you have contradictory weathering, so what? Superb workmanship needs to be acknowledged. Keep at it, I for one will continue to follow this build. 

So here is the story, which I have experienced first hand working for an auto upholstery shop. The owner (coincidentally of a 29 Rolls town car) had the car repainted, did some chrome work, got it running and driving, and had us upholster the front seat and add carpet throughout,  as that was pretty grubby.  On the other hand he just couldn't bring himself to replace the totally original upholstery in the rear passenger compartment.  Perhaps the custodian of Cato's Rolls felt the same way. There's your reasonable back story. By the way, the owner of the real Rolls in this story won his class.

So here is the story, which I have experienced first hand working for an auto upholstery shop. The owner (coincidentally of a 29 Rolls town car) had the car repainted, did some chrome work, got it running and driving, and had us upholster the front seat and add carpet throughout,  as that was pretty grubby.  On the other hand he just couldn't bring himself to replace the totally original upholstery in the rear passenger compartment.  Perhaps the custodian of Cato's Rolls felt the same way. There's your reasonable back story. By the way, the owner of the real Rolls in this story won his class.

If I had known your work experience, I'd have sent them all to you for building and saved a lot of torn-out hair! Compliments and comments well appreciated all. Thanks to you too Harry.

I have to deal with my shiny leather look on my seats. I like when “details” are little weathered.
Cato, yours are very nice.

Thanks Bo but you CAN do something about it. If you want to tone down the shine a bit, carefully rub them with gray scuff pad or 4-0 steel wool. Practice on scrap first until you get the feel and sheen you want. DON'T scrub them hard! If they get too dull, you can buff them with clear (no color) shoe polish.

Thanks also Bob, glad to have your interest.