Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future of large scale models?

I have avoided large scale model building because of cost...now determined to build one large scale in my lifetime I have spent the money...but coming from model kits manufactured by professional companies that use precision molds made by professional machinist craftsman this non professional stuff for the most part suxs.

Fighting what all you the fine modelers I have seen on this forum to beat many of these casted parts into something near what is suppose to be an in scale replication of parts...it may look good but square and precise these parts are lacking in quality...

I for one would like to see a big company begin to provide parts and kits for our needs and a little bit of tinkles have shown up, but venders of today don't have to fear competition because that tinkle has not grown...it takes us modelers to make that happen, and we won't go the higher prices that professional companies demand and considering the quality difference must justifiably get for that quality...right now their (big company price) is very much higher to justify the difference so badly needed.

What I have seen has been parts or kits that cost the price of buying a full 1/25 scale model kit for details parts or kits that are of at best fair quality of poor fit and tolerance and scale when measured out is very loose terms to call it scale.

When I have complained to venders for these observations I get back negative results with them saying it's not perfect but best they had to offer and there is not the market of modelers to support the product...Hence they are no longer offering to our market. I didn't seek them to end their product support because I complain of their quality of lack of it...but this is a two edge blade...for quality modelers would spend more, but no quality is available because manufactures won't produce for the lack of business sales...

I like the large scale for detail possible that can be seen at a glance and the price well it hurts and hinders both my productivity and how much I can afford to remain in this scale.

It would help me to have feed back from others here on the forum to see how you feel about this topic and hopefully suggestions on how the market could become more attractive to professional companies that would for better prices by raising the quality bar which would make modelers buy their goods and others must raise quality but lower price to remain in the market place. L3

I like large scale models too, but the realities of for-profit companies negate producing what you want. The Tamiya 1/12th models are decent, not perfect but a start.

As an aside, just how much would a suitably accurate 1/16th-1/8th model should sell for?

Larger scale models (1/20 and larger) have always seemed to be very much a niche market sort of thing. Monogram's 1/8 scale model cars had a short fling with real popularity from 1963 (when the Big T was first produced) until the Big Jaguar (XKE) which came out in the summer of 1964, and then the popularity of those models waned seriously, even though Monogram did a few more over the years. The same was pretty similar with 1/12 scale models--when first offered, they sold pretty well, but none of them seemed to stay in production for more than the occasional reissue ever after.

I submit that it's been the sheer size of those--not many kids back in those days had the $$ (upwards of $15 for the first run of the Jaguar, for example), and very few modelers had the shelf space to display more than one or two of them.

It's probably still very much the case, size-wise even today.

Art

I remember I found a 20$ bill on the floor of woolworths in St Louis probably Christmas of 1963, and I didn't hesitate a minute to lead my mom over to the model department where I pointed out the Big T and that was the end of that 20! but like art says interest kinda waned by 65 or so, probably due to expense but also complexity and difficulty of getting the things to hold together using tube glue and the patience of a 12 year old. oh and the display space if and when...

jb

A couple of years ago, the product manager for Revell and his late partner appeared on an Internet podcast where they said that Revell saw no future in producing any more large-scale models. This was just after the Revell 1/12 Mustang came out. Therefore, even though Trumpeter came out with a big Ford GT 40 about then, which was not well received on this forum, I wouldn't expect anything other than the reissue of older kits, such as the 1/12 Foose Camaro and the Airfix 1/12 Bentley. Most of the large-scale kits will only be available on eBay in older versions. Pity, since they allow for so much more detailing, especially for older fingers like mine.

In terms of large scale, the most available kits are older 1/16 kits of vintage cars, and no one seems to be making them any more. There are large-scale and hugely expensive kits of partially pre-made Ferraris and Porsches, but this is not a big industry.

Well, i can say from a large scale model part maker that there's not a ton of customers out there, but i've been "investing" in the larger scales. Particularly 1/16th.

There really hasn't been a big market for some of the new parts i've been coming out with, but my goal is try to help create one.

"if you build it, they will come", if you will.

I can't see any major manufacturer coming out with a new large scale kit, that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

I think the future of big scale is wrapped around the future of 3D printing.

As quality of 3D printing goes up, and the cost comes down, the larger scale markets will grow. But not with names like Revell or Tamiya leading the way, it will be companies like TDR who have the ability to produce high quality, and accurate 3D models to print. The only limitation TDR has with a perfect large scale product is the 3D printing technology.

One thing i'm certain of, is that if the 1:16th scale continues to grow, there will always be a line of Photoetched Brackets, Tabs, and Mounts by Dirt Modeler that will go right along with it.

Edited by DirtModeler

A lot fewer of the large scale kits are sold. On top of that, if you are producing a detail or conversion part for a specific kit, you are "boxed in" sales-wise, confined to selling to those who bought that specific kit. And only a small percentage of the people who bought the kit will want the part. In my own experience, that is a big deal...when that kit is not a current production item, sales of the conversion part drop to nil.

The kit review thread includes info on a new Lindberg reissue, the 1/16 scale T. Someone told me awhile back that the Lindberg (ex-Pyro) kit was copied to a large extent from Monogram's 1/8 scale T, and that seems credible to me. Size-wise, the Lindberg T takes up a lot less space: half as long, half as wide...one-quarter the "footprint" on a shelf, even less in a display case where height also comes into play. Bottom line...the Lindberg kit has a much better chance of getting built, at least by me. The Monogram kit is going on the sale pile...

Another idea for large scale kits is to do what I've seen European modellers purchase. There is a company called D'agastino that offers subscription model kits, that is, you buy a subscription much like a magazine and they send you monthly a segment of the model for you to build as is or refinish and detail as you want. The kits are generally 1/8th scale and are quite nice. I have seen some of the builds over on Britmodeller.com. Hence this lovely build of James Bond's Aston martin DB5. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956830-18-aston-martin-db5-james-bond/

another suggestion would be....... build your own model. there is more than one modeller on this site, that doesn't require any manufactured kit or aftermarket resin piece to build a model car or truck. there is NOTHING like the satisfaction of building your own.

Interesting topic, not being able to make "hide nor hair" of the OP,however, I'd like to point out the proliferation of large scale kits in the Military market. The 1/32scale B-17 really took off ( sorry) last year and now many kit makers are moving toward the larger scales, check out your local hobby shops( no, not Micheals or Hobby Lobby).

What really came to mind was the "one run" only Revell 1/16th scale '34 Ford Street Rod kits.mGTBLI6_q2jxkVpWaipz2ng.jpgmt-QiJb0TSTzds22SkdSA_g.jpg My opinion : These would sell today, right now and I mean "Howdie." :D:lol:

Edited by Greg Myers

Another idea for large scale kits is to do what I've seen European modellers purchase. There is a company called D'agastino that offers subscription model kits, that is, you buy a subscription much like a magazine and they send you monthly a segment of the model for you to build as is or refinish and detail as you want. The kits are generally 1/8th scale and are quite nice. I have seen some of the builds over on Britmodeller.com. Hence this lovely build of James Bond's Aston martin DB5. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956830-18-aston-martin-db5-james-bond/

I found the home page of the Aston kit... says the kit is only available in the UK.

http://www.007db5.com/

Can't find anything on any company called D'agastino. Do you have the website address?

The only large scale kits I build are motorcycles. There is just something about big scale cars that I can't get into. Maybe it is just familiarity with 1/24 - 25th scale kits. I used to build a lot of 1/43rd. I have even built 1/87th (HO) kits. I haven't built a 1/16th car since I was 15 years old( Revell Funny cars). I scratch build a lot and I still stick to 1/24-25.

Ultimately it seems like too big a project to build a big scale model to the level of detail that satisfies me.

I saw this from Japan, the kit was a large scale Mitsubishi A6M Fighter. The individual kit (packets) could be bought in card shops for around $15 ( Yen, of course)

Sorry tor not being clear, and will try to approach this from the bottom line...It's a question for myself and to all: what can if anything in anyone's opinion help promote interest in for now 1/16 scale (to me this is large...to some this may seem a toy size). For price since I was asked what would I pay...if a rather complete kit much like you would get from Revell, but hopefully with Tamiya quality...twice the cost of Revell due to quality and this just being my opinion.

But let me reverse this question and ask what should a modeler expect to pay for any kit keeping in mind parents are the ones that usually foot the bill for the young crowd and they won't pay out the cost of a real car for a kit.?

In addition to that bottom line, todays providers of parts and I speak of cars only, not meaning to offend those who build other models i.e: bodies, engines, or other related components. Provide parts that are less than well expected when you lay out what for me is a good amount of money and yet must spend a great deal of time not just filling holes or removing flaws...but squaring up and even filling to add material to bring the shape back into scale so other parts will fit on the existing component and look right. I'm not seeking this to become a flame, nor do I like to promote conflict so I'm not going to continue to add anything as it was just a question...confused though it may seem, and I hope to have made it more clear...if not there is nothing else I can add and must remain just my thoughts. L3

Edited by LarryT

I think that large scale is pretty much a different hobby from us 1/24 / 1/25 scale builders, just as the 1/43 builders are pretty much to themselves. I don't think we get a ton of large scale models on display at NNL East, maybe a dozen or so. I'll pay attention this year.

My own thoughts... I do own about a half dozen, all bought at an advantage price which made me buy them. I have a Revell funny car, which I've admired for having full plumbing. I've actually used it and it's instruction book as a guide to detail out 1/25 scale cars. I have an old original Lindberg T, bought 20 years ago at a garage sale for $5. I will always keep it since it's cool, and I have the box on display on top of one of my display cabinets.

I did have a Revell 1957 Chevy I got as a present, but to me that one looked like they just took a 1/25 scale model and blew it up. I didn't think it would look right built since large scale requires much more detail. So I sold that one.

I have a Minicraft Model A pickup and a '57 Thunderbird also, both bought for $10 or so at club meetings. I recently pulled those two out together with the idea of kit bashing them into a traditional rod Model A pickup. My first impression was "wow, these are huge!" as my head is wrapped around 1/25 scale. I didn't start the project for a few reasons. First, my own lack of a parts box to fish for additional parts. I have tons of 1/25 scale parts and am familiar enough with these kits to know where to find what. I don't have that experience in the larger scale, and the level of detail needed to make that project believable.

I do think the future of large scale is in the aftermarket and certainly with the amazing things that can be 3D printed. So it will be a hobby for those willing to finance models of this size.

I own one Large Scale Model that I built years ago... AMT '57 Chevy Convertible that I got really cheap. I would like to try building another Large Scale Model, but the problem is that they need way too much space in my Display Cabinet once they are done. I also would need to buy the same aftermarket parts in two scales then, and that would be expensive.

I like to follow those builds, though, and one of the reasons why I'd like to try building them is that there is a possibility to add much more details than in 1/24 or 1/25 scale.