Model Cars Magazine Forum

What won't Super Glue stick to?

So I've been tinkering with making my own chain link steering wheels for some projects. Its been easy taking the chain and making the main wheel piece, the only trouble I'm having is gluing them. What I do is the take the piece of chain I've assembled and place it over a pencil tips top to keep the round shape. Then drop some super glue over the links to keep it stiff and intact. Only thing is its hard to keep some of the pencil's wood and yellow paint from not sticking to the rest of the chain. I try to move fast and rotate the chain wheel around the pencil to keep it flowing and not sticking.

It works doing that but well its messy still. I've also tried soldering the chain links, but with the size of the chain is so small, the links end up getting filled in and not open. Which is what I'm trying to get away from that cheap closed link look the molded chain steering wheels come in kits. I've seen people solder other chain material before to make these, but the chain link they were using was very big in scale so it soldered up easily.

So my question is, do any of you know a material that super will not stick to and let the chain glue up on.. I can easily slide the chain off of when its dried? I was thinking teflon maybe but I don't have any to play with at the moment. I was thinking of taking some sticker backing and roll it into a cone shape to slide the chain over, not sure if that work either. Any suggestions I'd love to hear and will try.

Thank you Mike for the tips! I think I may have some silicone rubber candy trays laying around in the kitchen I can try a small sample on. Great idea! I'll have to look into the abs plastics. If the silicone rubber works I could probably cut and shape some into forming ring and get these made easier.

Thanks again Mike!

Hi Ruben

Look around and see if you can get a piece of PTFE/Teflon to do your glue ups on. In the worst cast a slight poke with a X-Acto tip will release the Crazy Glued part from it.

Blush - Ok you already knew 'bout Teflon. Note to Self - READ the ENTIRE Post prior to replying................

Ruben, Given you're doin' Steering Wheels would a 1" wide piece do ya? If/so PM me.

Edited by Crazy Ed

Atr's right. The best source of flat polyethylene pieces is bondo spreaders. That's why they make bondo spreaders out of it...nothing readily adheres. Your CA MAY stick just slightly, but it will come loose VERY easily with no damage.

Bondo spreaders are available in most auto-parts stores. They're flat, clean, cheap, and can be used over and over and over.

Atr's right. The best source of flat polyethylene pieces is bondo spreaders. That's why they make bondo spreaders out of it...nothing readily adheres. Your CA MAY stick just slightly, but it will come loose VERY easily with no damage.

Bondo spreaders are available in most auto-parts stores. They're flat, clean, cheap, and can be used over and over and over.

Those plastic glue sticks that are used in glue guns (like women use for crafts) may well be another answer, as they are round, for starters, and I believe something on the order of either polyethylene or polypropylene plastic, neither of which is affected by any of the glues we use (they work by being melted, attaching to porous surfaces such as wood, paper and card stock. A package of those is actually quite cheap, at Walmart, Michael's etc. Worth a try I think!

Art

In addition, a quick wipe with some Vaseline Petroleum Jelly should keep the CA from sticking to the bondo spreader as well. No buildup of the stuff necessary, just a shiny surface of Vaseline.

Art

Wrap the pencil with teflon tape, as Andy said... then instead of glue, paint the chain with clear enamel or acrylic and let dry... maybe 2-3 coats total, for a bit of added rigidity.

The clear will act as a "glue," and the teflon tape will slide right off. The wheel won't be as strong as if you had used CA glue, so be careful when you handle it.

Thank you everyone for the tips! I'm currently trying out of the suggestions. I have some teflon tape as Andy suggested and trying this out. I'm also trying your method too Harry of using clear to brush on and see how it works out as well.

I'm checking my plastics I have on hand too and seeing what won't stick to them, found a bondo spreader in in my old tool box. I also didn't think of using Vaseline as a release agent on the pencil as Andy and Art both suggested. Another great tip to employ. I'll come back and let you all know how they turned out.

Now if I just had small enough fingers to work with these small chain links lol

• 5 years later...