Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCM Forum - expert work expected?

Another common and repeated observation is how a lot of guys do not care for the drama or the moderation here.

I must say that the "moderators" have been quite open minded about this entire thread, 9 pages deep and still counting... :D

I have to agree. Expecting everyone on the forum to tailor their responses so as to give no offense to modelers who come here expecting unearned, unconditional praise smacks of "political-correctness" and is not at all productive.

That's what so exceptional about Rob's argument-- it's not even the replies which are posted, but rather the lack of replies which don't even exist that are being used as an example of why this forum is represented by a bunch of elitist jerks. :blink: A few people are projecting their psychological needs upon the forum membership as a whole, and when their needs aren't met, they fail to realize the problem arises from themselves. It's always easier to blame someone else than to take time to figure out a solution. If someone doesn't comment on someone's work, the only logical conclusion must be the people who aren't commenting are rude, elitist jerks, not that the person's work might be of poor quality, not of interest to those who viewed the post, not all that interesting, etc.

This place isn't perfect, and there are many different personalities here, too, which makes things interesting and at times, difficult, but using sensationalistic tactics to project a small groups's opinion of a larger group as fact is not a good way to change things for the better IMHO. I think if it would be more productive if those dissatisfied club members came here and tried to figure out why they are dissatisfied, and hopefully find a solution which makes then enjoy visiting here once again. Maybe there is no solution, I don't think any of us can answer for them, but I do know the large majority of the membership here is more interested in having fellow MCM members who enjoy spending time here, just like them.

I just don't get this. "I posted something and nobody commented" and then making assumptions about the board in general. This to me is a freedom of speech issue. Everyone has the right to speak their mind, but there is no guarantee of an audience. If nobody commented on something, that is not the audiences issue. You put something up that nobody cares about. Who's fault is that? Posting on this board gives nobody any special rights. Taking offence that nobody cares about your post is, as far as I am concerned, your problem not mine. Now if I post something that offends you or is rude, that's a different issue.

Edited by Pete J.

perhaps you and your Dance Instructors could just focus on the other 90%?

Dance Instructors ? Glad you took the time to be insulting on Veterans Day.. you are the very epitome of the 10% my Drill Instructors warned us about. Good luck with that..

This has popped up in two threads in the last two days that I'm involved in, and when I try to get my club members involved here, they wrinkle their nose and say things like "No, they are all elite/expert/pro/stuck up jerk builders who have ignored or bashed my work in the past". Or people seem to think that their work is not up to snuff for this forum. We've got a bad rep guys.

Don't get me wrong we have a lot of fantastic builders here, but how has this reputation gotten so bad?

I don't want to turn this into thread #1,462 on the subject of critique, but is it really that bad here?

And how can we fix it? I'd really like to hear from some of the new guys on this.

Or do we even care about the reputation?

Could you please supply us with links to your other club forums where this forum is considered to be elitist? If you have already done so, I apologize - I haven't seen that evidence, but it would be helpful to see where they're coming from.

What I don't understand is how the inclusion of expert builds makes this forum "elitist". In case nobody noticed, this forum is filled with the good, the bad and the ugly, and learning is to be had about techniques, certain kits, etc., across the spectrum of any quality of building. If there weren't expert builds included in that wide mix, this forum wouldn't be worth visiting.

Edited by sjordan2

Could you please supply us with links to your other club forums where this forum is considered to be elitist? If you have already done so, I apologize - I haven't seen that evidence, but it would be helpful to see where they're coming from.

What I don't understand is how the inclusion of expert builds makes this forum "elitist". In case nobody noticed, this forum is filled with the good, the bad and the ugly, and learning is to be had about techniques, certain kits, etc., across the spectrum. If there weren't expert builds included in that wide mix, this forum wouldn't be worth visiting.

I'm a member of a local club. A small bunch of guys. Also an internet club, much larger, formerly of the Lay it Low forum, who now are using Facebook as their means of socialization. Last year, I invited both clubs to participate in the Cannonball CBP here on MCM. From both groups, I got a lot of, "I don't know, I've had a bad experience with those jerks." I have also noticed this while talking to guys at swap meets and contests.

Also Scale-Master mentioned he's had the same responses from people, on page 2 of this thread.

Edited by Jantrix

so...the following would be a "positive" statement...?

"I really like how you have attached the disc brakes to the outer side of the wheels, it brings a whole new aspect to the mechanical functions of the braking system."

I realize that many people "build for fun" but maybe the person that you "fail to educate" with information about how cars work in real life may not receive the one bit of data that sets them on the course to be the next Carroll Shelby.

Here is a little reminder, the title of the forum is "Model Cars Magazine Forum", anyone care to discuss what the term "model car" means to them. I usually think a model car is a representation of a 1:1 vehicle with most of the 1:1 vehicles needing to be operable and sometimes roadworthy.

I don't attack builders but I DO make suggestions/comments on things that could be done, that are more in line with real vehicles. If it's a subject I don't appreciate, I move on without feeling the need to say "I don't really like that thing.".

You don't get it. There's no reason to be hardheaded and I guess I'm glad you aren't going to be here anymore then. If you can't use constructive criticism, don't bring anything up. If the brakes are outside the wheels, say "Brakes look painted nicely, but they go BEHIND the rims, on the inside."

Let's hope the moderators do lock it.

There's no need to do that at this point. Rob wants to discuss something, and it's a legitimate topic for discussion, so provided we continue to do just that it should remain open.

Well Skip, my intent wasn't to start thread 1,245 on the subject of criticism. That horse is long dead. The thread was about what we can do about a poor reputation amongst people that tried this forum, and got treated poorly. Which may be a larger of number of people than I think we realize. If you don't care about that, that's cool. I happen to.

Lets check out this example from this very thread.

perhaps you and your Dance Instructors could just focus on the other 90%?

Dance Instructors ? Glad you took the time to be insulting on Veterans Day.. you are the very epitome of the 10% my Drill Instructors warned us about. Good luck with that.

Now we all know that the first guy, meant no offense at all. But because this is written correspondence, there is no smile, no body language or tone of voice to tell the second person that he is merely joking.

So the second person gets offended.

So again, what we can do about a poor reputation amongst people that tried this forum, and got treated poorly. Whether is was intentional or not? Maybe the answer is to just put more thought into whatever we write here.

Edited by Jantrix

Well Skip, my intent wasn't to start thread 1,245 on the subject of criticism. That horse is long dead. The thread was about what we can do about a poor reputation amongst people that tried this forum, and got treated poorly. Which may be a larger of number of people than I think we realize. If you don't care about that, that's cool. I happen to.

Now we all know that the first guy, meant no offense at all. But because this is written correspondence, there is no smile, no body language or tone of voice to tell the second person that he is merely joking.

So again, what we can do about a poor reputation amongst people that tried this forum, and got treated poorly. Whether is was intentional or not? Maybe the answer is to just put more thought into whatever we write here.

If you are not a veteran, you do not have the right to make smarmy , sarcastic comments about the military, just say "thank you" and leave it at that .. fair enough ?

My real question is, how many people in your local club came to this forum and were treated poorly? And in what way?

My real question is, how many people in your local club came to this forum and were treated poorly? And in what way?

Yeah...specifically...in what way, when, and by whom, about which model?

I personally admit to being a smartass on occasion when somebody didn't even bother to try to look something up before asking questions that have been answered 1000 times, or when something was misspelled so obviously (and a complaint was made that there were no references on the web...in reality because it was so badly misspelled even Google's AI didn't know what to do with the query)...and I was raked over the coals for being a meany. Okay, I'll phrase things more nicey-nicey in the future.

But I've NEVER bashed someone's work. All I give is attaboys for exceptional work (this site has a bunch of guys whose work makes me look like a beginner...but I'm not intimidated by it...I'm INSPIRED), try to find something positive to say about average work (when it's warranted) and offer technical insight and help to those who ask for it.

Who are all these mean, elitist SOBs supposedly giving the forum a bad rap? I really haven't seen it happening.

Note: What I HAVE seen on occasion is exceptional builds picked on for one tiny flaw, and it made into a big deal...when it was a simple oversight on the very talented and skilled builder's part.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There isn't an online forum in existence where someone hasn't been offended at some point, legitimately or not. If some people think we're "elitist," there's nothing we can do forum-wide to make those people happy. And even if there were, and we managed to make the right changes needed to make that group happy, you can bet there would be yet another group ready to be upset or offended.

There are always going to be people who find fault, no matter what we do or don't do.

You don't get it. There's no reason to be hardheaded and I guess I'm glad you aren't going to be here anymore then. If you can't use constructive criticism, don't bring anything up. If the brakes are outside the wheels, say "Brakes look painted nicely, but they go BEHIND the rims, on the inside."

I could question your reading comprehension but that would be baiting the hook.

I made a statement implying that the reader may agree/disagree said statement was "positive" or not. There was no criticism in the statement, good or bad.

If I were to use your "criticism" then I would be forcing my assembly choices onto the builder... who knows, maybe the fictitious builder had come up with a way for the disc brakes to work from the outside of the wheel.

I like how you do it, but deny it.

I have a very high reading and writing comprehension level. I've read at a very high level all my life. Don't make comments on stuff you don't know about.

Now I'm done, and leave it that way.

hey, come back...I'm not done discussing this...

just kidding. ;)