Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

4 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Received a Soviet Aerosan RF-8/GAZ-98 from Hobbylinc yesterday. Thought this would make a rather unique slump buster. 

image.jpeg

Here's a couple full build reviews of that, if you're interested: 

https://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/vehicles/russia/kopaero.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/vehicles/russia/melrf8.htm

More vintage NOS Athearn Blue-Box rail-cars. I'm not needing the extreme accuracy available in freight car models today, but rather a lot of interesting cars to populate a sizable freight yard, to justify a lot of train break-up and make-up switching....and a thriving rail-car repair/rebuild business adjacent to the yard.

All the rolling stock will be upgraded to Kadee #5 or compatible couplers, and RP-25 compliant wheelsets for good operation.

Though most of the Athearn and similar cars have decent wheels, many of the older kits and "train-set" cars do not, and fouling of the spike heads and derailment on switch frogs (code 83 and code 70 rail) can be a real PITA.

Fortunately, now that I have the Unimat, it's easy to chuck an axle up and turn the flanges, at least, to RP-25 depth. This saves the expense of replacing all the older wheelsets.

In the shot below, there is an Auto-Loader car. One release of this kit came with significantly over-scale Mopars, but this version has correctly-scaled Fords. That makes it possible to load 6 cars, as the prototype did, even though the rail-car's length is slightly fudged for operation on tight-radius trackage.

s-l1600.jpg

9 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Thanks Snake, two very nice builds. I truly appreciate your taking the time to research the subject.

No "research time" at all. I was pretty sure I'd seen that kit built at least once on that site, only took me a minute or two to track them down. Glad to hear they were helpful.B)

Here's another review of that Aerosani from Terry Ashley at Perth Military Modeling Society.  Terry is a VERY detail-oriented modeler. Like the other reviews, he says sand down those rivets. But he also mentions 5 missing rivets. 

This sounds like easy stuff to add, if you're so inclined:  "The interior consists of the Commander’s and Driver’s seats but these lack any seat cushion detail and the 10 magazine rack located under the Gunner’s station is not included and there are only 3 spare drum magazines supplied in the kit."

I have that kit but as usual haven't got around to it.  I thought it was a great deal for the price, which I remember was only about $10 at full retail when it first came out.

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr02322.html

• 2 weeks later...

The nice mailman brought me an original-issue Hawk-boxed 1/48 San Fran cable car today. Already had a Testors re-box missing parts, so now I otter be able to come up with two.

Image result for hawk cable car    image.jpeg.20e29d6803337100eeb5b70b83d6a60f.jpeg

Not a model, but a fine reference resource, the 2001 printing of Model Railroader's  image.jpeg.3cf372d491dc84d6fb57b40321e6cade.jpeg  Cover's just a little rough, but at $40 off the cover price, s'OK.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

17 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Another kit I'd been wanting for a while, and now it's finally mine.

That makes two of us!  I wanted that Hasegawa Kate for a long time.  Several on-line reviewers said the interior detail was so good, there was no need for any after-market stuff except seat belts. Finally found one on eBay last year for a decent price and jumped on it.  Earlier this year, Sprue Bros. had a clearance sale and I picked up its kid sister for a good price, the Hasegawa B6N2 Jill.

Here's a Hasegawa kit I had once, traded off and decided I wanted it back: the Hasegawa Zero "Strange Insignia."  Nothing but the basic old Hasegawa Zero, but the decals are for American and British evaluation aircraft. 

zero1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another box full of HO scale locomotive shells, motors, power trucks, wheelsets, gears, driveshafts, couplings, pickup shoes, flywheels, frames, etc. Included was an almost complete EMD SD45, a clean, unpainted Baldwin RF-16 Sharknose shell, and a virgin EMD GP9 shell. Between this mess of goodies and several others I've acquired, I should have just about enough parts to repair the fleet of cheap bodged, broken and generally unloved HO diesels (mostly interesting steam/diesel transition period units) I've put together. As an important part of the planned layout is a model of a fictitious vintage-diesel rebuild/modification/repair facility, having a variety of mixed road-name motive power makes sense.   

s-l1600.jpg

Any units that don't run can quite realistically populate the adjacent yard while waiting their turn.    Related image

Another part of the planned layout is an old-school integrated steel mill, set in a time when America was still a major "smokestack" industrial power (and before we outsourced most all the difficult, dirty, smelly jobs). An "integrated" steel mill does everything from smelting raw iron ore in a blast furnace, all the way through to rolling finished steel sheet and shapes. A coking operation onsite would be a part of many such mills. So...these kits comprise a crusher, conveyors, storage tower, coke ovens, larry and quench cars, and a quencher. These go with the blast furnace and rolling mill I got some months back. All out-of-production kits that may very well never be re-run.

s-l1600.jpg

On 10/22/2018 at 8:21 AM, Mike999 said:

That makes two of us!  I wanted that Hasegawa Kate for a long time.  Several on-line reviewers said the interior detail was so good, there was no need for any after-market stuff except seat belts. Finally found one on eBay last year for a decent price and jumped on it.  Earlier this year, Sprue Bros. had a clearance sale and I picked up its kid sister for a good price, the Hasegawa B6N2 Jill.

Here's a Hasegawa kit I had once, traded off and decided I wanted it back: the Hasegawa Zero "Strange Insignia."  Nothing but the basic old Hasegawa Zero, but the decals are for American and British evaluation aircraft. 

zero1.jpg

Here's a recent thread on Hyperscale that might be of interest to you: 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/a-bare-metal-zero-t499515.html

1 hour ago, High octane said:

Picked this kit up at our club auction the other night, and I believe it was the only plane kit there as I belong to a model car club and all the other items to be auctioned off were model car kits.

image.png.f1c3f2b285a321090f8732e578f39c50.png

That's still a nice kit, even after all these years (I think it was first released in the late '60s).  That looks like a '70s boxing. 

Worst thing about Typhoons is the paint options are so few. They all had the same camo, so your choices are more or less limited to squadron codes, nose colors, and recognition/D-Day stripes or not. 

There aren't a shelf-full of reference books on them. I have an Osprey book on Tempest and Typhoon Aces that's pretty good.

One good thing about them is the camo edging is so "tight" that you can hand-brush it if you don't have an airbrush that will do it. In fact, it looks better hard-edged (brushed) than too soft-edged. 

Have fun with it! B)

On 10/22/2018 at 7:21 AM, Mike999 said:

Next on my list, Japanese aircraft wise, is the Hasegawa Val. I had it, sold it, now want another,... naturally.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:53 PM, Snake45 said:

There aren't a shelf-full of reference books on them. I have an Osprey book on Tempest and Typhoon Aces that's pretty good.

I actually have quite a few; I can make a list for you if you'd like (big Typhoon lover here), but this one is probably the all-around best, for details anyway. And yes, the old Monogram kit still holds up well; not as nice as the two Hasegawa kits, but pretty decent nonetheless. This is my pride and joy, Typhoon wise.

EzpgGC.jpg