Model Cars Magazine Forum

Allison Charger - pics replaced - more work soon

Jantrix

Here's the carbs on the new plenum

Hmm. There's gonna be some clearance issues with the magneto

I think I'm going to have to come up with some sort of long scoop.

Okay next up is completing the rest of the intake. Each side is three pieces and they'll need to be to drilled and pinned together, set in place and then cemented, for either side. Headers will be reversed and as they are hollow on one side so there is some work to be done to get them up to snuff. More soon.

20150523_105750_zpsy6lzawuj.JPG

20150523_105932_zpsg12q26po.JPG

Edited by Jantrix
  • Like 1

I loves me some off the wall MOPAR's. Great concept Rob.

I'll throw an idea out there for the hood dilemna. Since you're doing a '67, how about a scoop from that same year? Shorten, resize or mutilate as necessary. It might look cool to have a short scoop starting at the back of the carbs. Something that makes you wanna' say, "Now that ain't right, but in a good way. I wonder what's under there?"

So, for your consideration:

RMX-7632-2.jpg

This is OFF THE WALL cool! (Normally I'm not a big fan of changing Mopar's but this one WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I do however like the idea of the short scoop that ends forward of the hoods edge...... Kinda like the '67 Coronet one shown, just shorted and moved forward on the hoods "center"......

Be a "WTH" thats not right (You hit that one on the head Joe!)

CRAZY work but cool at the same time...... NICE work!

I'll throw an idea out there for the hood dilemna. Since you're doing a '67, how about a scoop from that same year? Shorten, resize or mutilate as necessary. It might look cool to have a short scoop starting at the back of the carbs.

Yeah, that's where I'm going with this. The Charger came with that scoop. What I'll do is cut out the hood to clear the magneto and the scoop will cover it, but the scoop will be blocked off right behind the carbs, so air isn't moving past them, but being directed downward.

Thanks very much for the encouraging words. An Allison powered model was always on my bucket list.

It's scoop decision time. Any input is welcome. These are my current options. If you have another idea, please feel free to voice it.

1st the classic Mopar. I'd probably want to narrow this some as it would pull a lot of air for a very small opening in the hood.

20150523_110351_zpsxpjydyn5.JPG

20150603_194651_zpsrp6tg0a3.JPG

Edited by Jantrix

Rob, sign me up for the shaker scoop. What do you think of mounting it on the carbs and inserting a cool looking mesh screen?

I'm not sure how much a real live Allison shakes though. You might wanna' put in some monster rubber motor mounts. You know, like the kind they "earthquake proof" a skyscraper foundation with. :P

Edited by Nitrozilla

Rob, sign me up for the shaker scoop. What do you think of mounting it on the carbs and inserting a cool looking mesh screen?

I'm not sure how much a real live Allison shakes though. You might wanna' put in some monster rubber motor mounts. You know, like the kind they "earthquake proof" a skyscraper foundation with. :P

I am kicking around that very thing with the shaker, but for a drag car I want something that pulls more air. So I'm still looking at options.

Due to space considerations there's not much room for motor mount bushings. I cant really raise the engine much and I'm too far along to lower it. It is what it is.

Thanks much for the compliments guys. More soon.

Hey, Rob! How about a cowl-induction scoop with a box under it leading air from the cowl to the carbs?

No way. Cowl induction is way too overused, I try to avoid typical like the plague. I think Eelco has an excellent point though.

Edited by Jantrix

No way. Cowl induction is way too overused, I try to avoid typical like the plague. I think Eelco has an excellent point though.

I hear you man

I can not stand cowl induction on mopars (except of course the AAR cuda I build, that one rocks)

but if you do put that on there you might as well paint the engine bay black

(the AAR hood I mentioned)

IMG00088-20100104-2052.jpg