Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rub-On Decals?

Arts and craft stores like Michael's sometimes sell dry transfer decals in their scrap-booking sections. Selection can be pretty limited. I have never found any plain letter and number transfers at Michael's, but I have found some funky things like distressed text that could work on hot rods or rat rods.

I always used to get the Pinewood decals for the sponsor decals.

Usually they had Koni or Champion decals, sometimes Goodyear ones, along with flames, stripes, flags, etc.

Woodland Scenics ones are good for trains. You can find all manner of dry-transfers from them, but remember to clearcoat them because they're extremely fragile.

The availability and selection of dry transfer lettering is way down compared to years past. These were used extensively by architects and draftsmen, and a great selection was as close as the nearest drafting supply store. A lot of that type of work has become computerized, so unfortunately their need for dry transfer lettering has, for lack of better words, dried up.

The availability and selection of dry transfer lettering is way down compared to years past. These were used extensively by architects and draftsmen, and a great selection was as close as the nearest drafting supply store. A lot of that type of work has become computerized, so unfortunately their need for dry transfer lettering has, for lack of better words, dried up.

I bought lots of Letrast dry transfer lettering back in their day. They were very useful to aircraft modellers. As you say computers have ended their era, unfortunately.