Model Cars Magazine Forum

Background diorama / Flatheads to Boxers Engine Rebuilders : new tool, new room

landman

I really like your roller shutter door Pat, and I notice the damaged area down in the bottom left corner, which is so typical of the kind of damage you very often see with these real doors. Maybe someone tried to break into the garage.... or maybe a mechanic brought the door down on an obstruction of some kind....

You could so easily have made this door with no damage, but it's just like the weathering and ageing techniques that make a diorama much more interesting and authentic. You are going to tell me now that you damaged the door while making it, and it is accidental rather than intentional ?

Certainly, the roller shutter door looks real from your photo of the end wall. Thr chain is correct to scale also.

David

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

I really like your roller shutter door Pat, and I notice the damaged area down in the bottom left corner, which is so typical of the kind of damage you very often see with these real doors. Maybe someone tried to break into the garage.... or maybe a mechanic brought the door down on an obstruction of some kind....

You could so easily have made this door with no damage, but it's just like the weathering and ageing techniques that make a diorama much more interesting and authentic. You are going to tell me now that you damaged the door while making it, and it is accidental rather than intentional ?

Certainly, the roller shutter door looks real from your photo of the end wall. Thr chain is correct to scale also.

David

-_- If you look at the photo of the corrugated cardboard I used in the October 24 posting, you will see it was already crushed. So it was both accidental and intentional.

Oh yes, I see now. The crushed corner shows up more clearly after you applied primer, and then very clearly once you applied silver or aluminium.

At the moment I am building an early 1950's Bedford dropside lorry ( truck ) to carry various different loads around the diorama. Placed a built Tamiya Morgan 4/4 sports car on the load area of the lorry, which looks absolutely perfect, in terms of both size and colour. I need to scratch build a couple of ramps for the Morgan to be hauled up onto the truck, and also scratch build a tarpaulin cover and ropes.The roping and sheeting items can be stored in the box rack on top of the cab roof.

David

100_0548.JPG

33 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

This is incredible Pat! I've always wanted to do something like this, maybe a semi truck shop, but never took the time or felt like I had the room. Many of your photos look like the real thing. Excellent work!!

Thank you. Once you start, you can't stop. Very, very dangerous.

Big dilemma. At the outset, the plan was to have the test cell on the left with the overhead door on the right to jive with the overhead door on the left side of the engine shop. However, the guy who was operating the table saw made the long groove on the wrong side of the base, thus turning the front into the back.

IMG_8133.jpg

One alternative is to redo the left wall of the shop with the double doors to match those of the test cell, which leaves the control room side without access to the shop.

IMG_8134.jpg

Or, one could change the door to the dyno room to a double doors and the dyno room now would at the back of the engine shop instead of end to end. this is likely the simplest solution.

IMG_8135.jpg

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

So am I right in thinking Pat, that you have two dioramas linked by a door and a roller shutter door? This has set me thinking how I might extend my diorama.....

I just need that shelving system that you have there...... and a bigger house!

David

Yes they would be linked if they were together. Right now they're independent but I thought one should be able to visualize how to move from one to the other. Does that make sense?