Model Cars Magazine Forum

Background diorama / Flatheads to Boxers Engine Rebuilders : new tool, new room

landman

2 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Excellent solution Pat..... so what do you have in mind for the next phase of this diorama build?

David

David, there are three things trotting around in my mind.

• Building the actual Dyno room                                                                                                   DSC_0240_1.jpg
  • Building a "behind the shop" scene c/w weeds, junk, type of thing.
  • Enlarging the door at the end of the shop.                                                                                                         DSC_0222.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there is a need for something versatile to ease the handling of the heavier engines. The boss asked for a hydraulic dolly. 

IMG_7895.jpg

IMG_7900.jpg

IMG_7902.jpg

The casters are made with the cap end of blood sugar monitoring lancets. Nothing goes to waste here.

IMG_7901.jpg

Edited by landman

On 10/8/2018 at 6:16 AM, Anglia105E said:

More expert detailing work from you Pat...... and the finished result is so real looking. I particularly like the large hole in the side wall of the engine block !

David

That "hole' was left by the paint detaching itself when I removed it from the Revolver stand where it was before. However, it does have that look of serious damage.

DSC_0208.JPG.ed9bf6dd731369018fc6d375a31a6a0b.JPG

Edited by landman

FTB is working on a Junkers Jumo engine which they have been commissioned to restore for display. There are a few touch ups left to do as well as deciding whether to install the exhaust system or not. We need to build a suitable display stand also.

DSC_0247.JPG.47e5bb4e24f818080cfc6e6521e977b0.JPG

DSC_0248.JPG.38fdd1520b4b348e57c155e93cb3bc8d.JPG

DSC_0249_4.jpg

DSC_0252_10.jpg

Edited by landman

54 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Pat.... would that be a Junkers aircraft engine from World War II ?

David

Yes. It was used in the Junkers JU188 and the Focke-Wulf 190 and TA's among others. There were many variations of it made. I believe this is supposed to be a 213a.

In the salvage mood. My wife handed me an old power bar and requested I make a short extension out of the cord and throw the rest away. Well, before anyone throws anything away, one should look inside. there are several usable shapes in there, even neat small light lenses. And the circuit board donated some "tanks".

IMG_7985.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_7987.jpg