Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frog tape

I've used the yellow frog tape. It's the same as Tamiya's tape in my opinion, but a whole lot cheaper and it will last a lot longer. I bought the 2 inch size that comes in a plastic container to help keep out dust and dirt from the edges. I'm sold on it for model use that's for sure. :blink:

Dan

I use it and I like it a lot. I pre wet it though not because I have had bad experiences but because another modeler told me to do it like that.

When you say that you "pre wet it", do you mean that you put it on the model where it needs to be and then drag a wet finger along the edge, or what?

I used the frog tape on this Studebaker. I masked out the green to paint the black and I didn't wet the tape at all, and I got a very sharp line between the colors.

DSC03571.jpg

I guess you can wet it but I don't think that I will take the chance of messing up the paint job. Just my opinion. Dan

The yellow "Frogtape Delicate" is merely Shurtape CP-60 with the thin bit of edging barrier "PaintBlock Technology" that acts with water. Regular Shurtape CP-60 is essentially a domestic version of Tamiya tape, and far more economical, works the same. Frogtape isn't really necessary or scaled for model cars, The regular Shurtape CP-60 is a permanent addition to my tools/materials, works like a charm. I found it at Sherwin Williams (home paint).

Shurtape CP-60

When you say that you "pre wet it", do you mean that you put it on the model where it needs to be and then drag a wet finger along the edge, or what?

I just use a cotton swab wettened and run it over the edge and then pat dry any extra wetness. a wet finger would do the same but you would also be putting down skin oils so you wouldn't want to use your finger. You could also just use the corner of a slightly damp towel.

What happens if you lick Frog Tape to wet it?

I would not lick it, you might "Rippit" Oh I crack myself up.

If you want the barrior lock you must use some form of water. Paint wont cause the edge protection formula to kick in and then it is no different than any other tape. I have used a wet brush then dried it off. I waited a day before painting and all was good.

I went all over today looking for Shurtape cp-60. Could not find it any where in the Inland Empire area of So Cal. Even stores that carry Shurtape products did not carry this. ie Lowes, Sherwin Williams and some independents.

I checked online and they want as much as the roll of tape to ship it.

Any ideas where to get it cheaply?

I went all over today looking for Shurtape cp-60. Could not find it any where in the Inland Empire area of So Cal. Even stores that carry Shurtape products did not carry this. ie Lowes, Sherwin Williams and some independents.

I checked online and they want as much as the roll of tape to ship it.

Any ideas where to get it cheaply?

Sherwin Williams company store or body shop supply houses. If your SW company store doesn't have it on the shelf, ask for it.

<_<