Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65/66 Chevy Stepside

LAV25

Hey all, I just finished my first plastic model build since I was around 10 and wanted to show off. The build thread is here: http://www.modelcars...showtopic=40941

Edit: I rearranged my photobucket without thinking and nuked all the pics of the model. Here's a link to the album instead.

I was trying to reproduce a truck that I bought when I was 17, a '66 Chevy Stepside:

DSCN1395.jpg

DSCN1409.jpg

DSCN1396.jpg

Now for some details:

I didn't forget to put the mirrors on, the 1:1 didn't have them when I bought it.

Looks like somebody spraypainted something on the sheet of plywood that served as a bed floor:

Got to hate those Chicago winters with all the salt on the road:

Ran out of room for pics, next post!

-val

Edited by LAV25

More road rot:

DSCN1876.jpg

DSCN1875.jpg

DSCN1871.jpg

DSCN1879.jpg

Kid doesn't know how to do bodywork, but he can spend $29.95 at Trak Auto for a chrome air cleaner:

DSCN1880.jpg

DSCN1881.jpg

Are you sure this thing can be restored?

DSCN1879.jpg

Let me know what you think. Good and bad, criticism can help me do my next model even better! Oh, yeah, I know that the back of the cab doesn't fit right, unfortunately when I dented the doors I kind of warped the whole body. Other than that, fire away!

-val

Rims 'n tyres need some dirt, but appart from that she's sweet B)

What technique did you use to replicate the rust?

The rust is a two part rust paint from Japan, pretty similar (I think) to the Sophisticated Finishes stuff that I've seen mentioned here. The first part seems to be a suspension of iron filings, put that on, let it dry for a day or so, and then the second part is a clear liquid that makes the first part rust, takes 3-5 days to hit its final color.

I've got some dirt on the tires, it just doesn't show up well. Not sure how to get the chrome on the rims dirty looking, most things I've tried (on my RC cars) make it look like black chrome, or gold chrome, but don't give it that roaded look. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks for looking.

-val

Ok, I know that 2-part rust thing, one of my friends used it before ;) Thanx for the answer! B)

About the chromed rims:

I'd go for some strongly thinned oil-paint-based wash, and before it dried completely I'd scratch some chalk pastels (brown, black, grey, ...) onto the fresh oily stuff ;) That would make it look like some dirt got caught in the rim's lines, holes, ... You can also try simulating scratches on the lip of one or more rims (I still remember the moment when my Seat Ibiza's almost new 15s with polished lips hit that curb a few years ago... Pain and agony...).

Great looking build! You really captured the essence of a mid-60's GM rust bucket pick-em-up! I know ... I had one, too.

You might try shooting some Testors DullCote on the rims and tires. That'll make them look more "experienced" and will be a great jumping off point for any more weathering you want to do. It'll take the "fresh out of the carton" look off the chromeys.

Great job!

:mellow:

About the chromed rims:

I'd go for some strongly thinned oil-paint-based wash, and before it dried completely I'd scratch some chalk pastels (brown, black, grey, ...) onto the fresh oily stuff ;) That would make it look like some dirt got caught in the rim's lines, holes, ... You can also try simulating scratches on the lip of one or more rims (I still remember the moment when my Seat Ibiza's almost new 15s with polished lips hit that curb a few years ago... Pain and agony...).

You might try shooting some Testors DullCote on the rims and tires. That'll make them look more "experienced" and will be a great jumping off point for any more weathering you want to do. It'll take the "fresh out of the carton" look off the chromeys.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll have to search around. Testors isn't an option here, but I've got some Mr. Super Clear Flat that might work. Oil based is going to take some research, I'm sure it's out there somewhere, just a matter of translation.

-val

Thanks very much everyone else (finding the limits of quoting the minesweeper way, sorry) I'm very happy with this, it almost makes me feel like I still own the beast. Actually, the model turned out rustier than the 1:1, but it just felt right that way.

@Nate: Yup, the wheels on the 1:1 were the best looking part of the truck. The model wheels still need some road dust though, or better than that, REPLACEMENT! I'm really not a fan of low profile tires and big wheels, at least not on cars that don't need them (vettes etc). If anyone knows of a kit that has something similar to N50/15 wheels and tires in 1:25 scale, I'd be very appreciative.

1:1 N50/15:

pro-trac-n50-15-10in-rgb.jpg

More later!

-val

Edited by LAV25