Model Cars Magazine Forum

State Farm:Long Rant!

Badluck 13

I have been insured by State Farm for almost 30 yes 30 years and have always been please with Stare Farm UNTIL today,03/20/15... Like a good neighbor you are not more like the neighbor that make the neighbor hood unpleasant and here's why on March 5th my garage roof collapsed from the ice and snow we have had here in N.E. Ohio .....so like any person who has homeowners naturally calls to make a claim......THATS where I should have known this was going to go ALL wrong not only was I treated like it was my fault for mother natures doings then to come find out they AIN'T covering JACK!!!!! and so now I am going to be shelling out more of my OWN money than the check STATE farm wrote and oh too bad too sad for the contents in the garage......

So today started off rough being I haven't got the check back from the bank and the contractor decides to start the project early instead of next week but the kicker was when my State Farm agent calls me today and says "Hey mike how are you doing and how is the garage coming along?" ....." Okay Mike now for the bad news....State Farm is dropping you May 31st because YOU have too many claims"......TO MANY claims???? okay June 2010 we had a MAJOR hail storm and YES I filed a claim to repair the roofing on the house ~AND~ the garage....again something beyond my control,Mother Nature,and again July 2012 another hail storm and I called them to come out to check the roof to be sure it wasn't damaged and it wasn't and I was happy with that BUT a week later I get a check for $251.00 for the claim....I call my agent and tell him I don't need this or want it and he tells me "go ahead and cash it,don't worry about it"

All three claims in the past 5 yrs has been from Mother Nature something I have NO CONTROL over but yet I get booted from State Farm and no other decent insurance company wont touch me because I been black balled AGAIN for SOMETHING I cannot help...THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH GOOD NEIGHBOR!!!!! ... its not like I drove my car through the garage or set the roof on fire from fireworks....

For those who have home owners with State Farm please ,please,PLEASE double check your policy and God help you if you ever have the misfortune of being dropped for something you have no control of !!

One thing STATE FARM you need to remember....if a customer is happy then that customer will tell a few people of the good things BUT when you upset a customer or treat them in this way then they go way out of their way to try to tell everyone they can and do you care to guess what I will be doing????????????? and also will be find a different company to insure my cars that's been with you for the same amount of time........Later Taters........

Ohio's government Department of Insurance has a consumer hotline number: 800-686-1526. You might want to call them.

Mary Taylor, your Lieutenant Governor, is also the head of the Ohio Dept. of Insurance.

This is their website (unfortunately it appears to be down at the moment): http://www.ins.state.oh.us/

PS: It's been my experience that vehicles in a garage are not usually covered by homeowners insurance, and other valuable items like art, antiques, firearms, tools and models often need to be listed specifically on the policy in order to be adequately covered.

Getting dumped for "too many claims" in the circumstances you describe is BS however, and that's why states have insurance regulators to call.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This has been standard practice for years for State Farm, and some other companies. State Farm has also had legal problems in the past, but I don't remember why. Good luck.

Agree. SF is a great "neighbor" as long as you keep the payments coming and never make a claim. Make a claim, and they'll pay it, then boot you, and make it hard for you to get insurance anywhere else. BTDT.

I've been with Erie for car insurance for more than a decade now. Great rates, great service, no hassles, even after a claim. I'd recommend them to anyone. I'd MUCH rather have that than several million dollars' worth of semi-amusing cartoon lizard commercials, etc.

Yup, State Farm did that to my parents and Dad's family after one of his brothers rolled a '65 (possibly a '64.5) Mustang. They didn't just drop my uncle, but my other uncle, grand parents (who had an apartment building at the time), AND my parents for everything! I also have a cousin who put a wood burning furnas in his garage for him and his boys to use as a rec room, and when his insurer found out, they dropped him when his next premium was due.

Being as I was in the Wrecker business for years , I had to deal with insurance adjusters and of course State Farm . In my ears , three companies NOT to do business with come to mind . They are in Order : Allstate , State farm , Nationwide . Any questions ?

Makes you wonder why they are such giants in the business.

Because, simply, and like so many other players in American business, they USED to give good service and value. 2005 was the last time I had to deal with automobile insurers on a profassional, daily basis.

At that time, State Farm was still one of the best, but the nit-picking on paperwork and nickel-diming on collision repair costs was beginning to change the game, and they went the way of the cheap insurance providers, requiring either aftermarket or junkyard (LKQ for the PC industry euphemism..."like kind and quality") parts for cars over 1 year old, etc.

I actually had one State Farm weenie-swinger refuse an estimate because the way I'd written it resulted in a 12 cent discrepancy from what his own preparers came up with when they "checked" it. "Checked" by idiot "associates" with no field experience and zero knowledge of how a car even went together. TWELVE CENTS.

When I was offered a job back in the general aviation industry, doing structural-composite repair design-and-development, I jumped at it.

The legions of moron MBA holders who've taken over US business and don't give a rat's buttocks for service or value, and ONLY see shaving costs to pump today's bottom line...and the people in "management" who encourage them...well, "there's your problem".

Business should be about more than just profit. When it isn't, this is what you get.

Makes sense. My health insurance, Blue Shield of Ca, a not for profit provider. They have big wigs makin 7 figures, 7! I understand they need a huge dollar amount in the bank to cover the people who pay for their services. But when they continue to raise rates year after year, but no pay cuts, that's an issue in my book.

Ohio's government Department of Insurance has a consumer hotline number: 800-686-1526. You might want to call them.

Mary Taylor, your Lieutenant Governor, is also the head of the Ohio Dept. of Insurance.

This is their website (unfortunately it appears to be down at the moment): http://www.ins.state.oh.us/

PS: It's been my experience that vehicles in a garage are not usually covered by homeowners insurance, and other valuable items like art, antiques, firearms, tools and models often need to be listed specifically on the policy in order to be adequately covered.

Getting dumped for "too many claims" in the circumstances you describe is BS however, and that's why states have insurance regulators to call.

Hey Bill thanks for the info!!....yeah I understand contents not to be covered which was a hard blow but being dropped for "Act Of God",wasn't like I drove my car through the garage and set the roof on fire with left over fireworks......did get in contact with ODI and filed a complaint,don't know if any good will come out of it but it is a start ~and~ peace of mind........Thanks again on ODI

not sure what building codes require in your neighborhood, but was the garage structurally sound to start?

Yeah Joe it was....was structurally sound , jussssssssssssss a case of Bad Luck.............

Insurance companies are not in business to pay claims, never have been, never will be. They analyze statistics of previous events (fire, theft, accidents, etc.) and then use that analysis to "bet" on the probability of any event occurring with those who sign up for coverage from their company, with the desired outcome being that they "win the bet" and never have to pay off. They use statistical probability plus a generous fudge factor to establish premiums and also incorporate clauses, qualifiers, etc to enhance the profit potential and ability to dispute claims. The only difference between insurance companies is that some are more aggressive (and devious) than others. They know that they have guaranteed business because only a fool would go without insurance in today's world.

I have State Farm on my house. This past year we had a bad hail storm here in PA. A local construction company was recommended by my neighbors to work with me on the claim. First time out, State Farm wanted to pay for dented gutters and a few dents in my aluminum siding. No roof. Then I started to see all my neighbors getting their roofs done! The construction company said I had the same damage as everyone else. I called State Farm and told them I was disputing the claim since every house I could see from mine had their claims approved by different insurance companies. They came back out, different inspection team and approved not only the roof, but all the aluminum siding. It pays to stand your ground.

I've had State Farm since 1982 for my vehicles, since 2003 for my house. I had a burglary on Christmas Eve, my claim was processed quickly with no problems. On the heels of that, in early January, I had to use the "road service" part of my vehicle policy to have my truck towed to the dealer. I didn't even follow the correct procedure on that one, but again they paid, no problems. I've had several windshields and one hatchback glass replaced over the years too.

I have State Farm on my house. This past year we had a bad hail storm here in PA. A local construction company was recommended by my neighbors to work with me on the claim. First time out, State Farm wanted to pay for dented gutters and a few dents in my aluminum siding. No roof. Then I started to see all my neighbors getting their roofs done! The construction company said I had the same damage as everyone else. I called State Farm and told them I was disputing the claim since every house I could see from mine had their claims approved by different insurance companies. They came back out, different inspection team and approved not only the roof, but all the aluminum siding. It pays to stand your ground.

Some inspectors are just dumb. I had to deal with adjusters for customers with aftermarket warranties on their Jaguars. Some get it, some can't and never will.

Some inspectors are just dumb... Some get it, some can't and never will.

I've had to deal with Gecko-tier claims reps who had so little knowledge of vehicle structures, they wouldn't (for example) accept an estimate that included all 4 layers of structural stampings inside a forward door jamb that was punched inwards a foot. Morons. Trained and paid? How can this be?

Their mantra was "if I can't see it, I can't accept it"...so either you call the tards back out for supplement after supplement...delaying the repair and using up the insured's rental vehicle time...or you force them to watch as you peel layer after layer of crushed metal off the car. Guess which one I did?

I've had claims reps who were so morbidly obese they were physically incapable of bending down to check underbody damage, and again, refused an estimate that contained "something they couldn't see". We were forced, one time, to move an in-process vehicle off the lift and dolly the wreck in question on it, just so a fat fool could "see" the damage.

I've had the "good hands" guys try to refuse paying the blown-head-gasket part of a collision claim that resulted from the head-injured owner of the vehicle forgetting to turn the engine off after the radiator was holed in the crash.

Is it any wonder I'm completely disgusted with the insurance AND car repair industries?

Honestly, only 1 out of ten claims reps I've ever dealt with were actually competent to do the work. Somebody help me understand.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Bill they are cutting cost any place they can to make more money. They do not care if we are getting what we pay for or not. Until someone dies from an injury caused by their agreed damage they are not going to change.

What's worse, it'll probably be mostly blamed on the shop that fixed the vehicle, even if they were forced to do the shoddy work by the insurance company.

ask yourself: how do those big insurance companies afford such large skyscrapers?

its not by giving money away.

and most claims adjusters are dumb. right. dumb like a fox. and it oftentimes has the desired effect: less cash out of their pockets.

an old adage that remains true: never buy insurance from a company with the word "Farm" or its derivatives in its name.

jb

Edited by jbwelda