Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

My entry for MassCar's last show

charlie8575

The text below comes from the sheet I typed up to go along with the display.

Charlie Larkin

One more time...

My contribution to MassCar's final (for now) show

March 15, 2015

I had planned to enter the show this year.

I will never claim to be the greatest builder or have the cleanest builds, but I still love what I do. And this year became all the more special.

When the decision was made that this will be MassCar's last show, it made it quite clear to me that I needed to have something one the table....so I looked at my projects.

The Cobra I had been working on for the Club Display was not going well at all, so I decided to try and finish the build I had started for the Facebook 24-Hour build. That also met with some unplanned difficulties, and was so close to being done, which is what really hurt.

I considered my options and went to my hobby shop of choice to find a second of the 24-hour build kit to raid the botched and missing pieces from, and when I found none, I wasn't sure what to do.

Until scanning the shelves, I found the solution.

This is a Revell “Wheels of Fire” series '63 Corvette. Yes, the snap-together kit.

With some patience and detail painting, I think it looks rather nice. In fact, I was quite pleased with the construction and overall quality of the kit.

The chassis is painted with a mix of Tamiya and Testors Model Master lacquers and acrylics.

The interior, which was molded in black, was treated to Tamiya semi-gloss and flat black. The silver details are done with a Sharpie oil-based silver marker, which I found worked very nicely on the gauge bezels.

The body is painted with Dupli-Color Volkswagen Reflex Silver. I chose this because it was fairly close in appearance to the original Sebring Silver, based on some pictures I saw. I was, however, a bit surprised at the metallic content. The paint was then covered with a coat of Dupli-Color clear.

The license plate was made by me using the blanks found at www.licenseplates.tv and printed on an index card.

The whitewalls are made with Gelly-Roll white gel pen.

I started this build at 11:15 Saturday night and finished it early morning.

For a five-hour build, not too shabby at all.

I expect no trophies. But knowing I could take part in what may really be the penultimate MassCar show provides more satisfaction than anything else could.

DSCF0429_zpse43hdgli.jpg

DSCF0428_zpsb4r1vem3.jpg

DSCF0427_zpsymbqocql.jpg

DSCF0426_zpsu6vcezqi.jpg

That paint does have a nice metallic sheen.

So Charlie ... did you get your film back from the show yet? I've been dying to see some photos and no one has seemed to record this historic event! :o:(

I'm taking it to get developed tomorrow, Mike. I had a few frames left to finish off. Those pictures were taken with a small digital camera I have that, well, frankly, is nice for quick snap-shots, but as you can see from the interior shot, doesn't do detail too well. I'll have 'em up soon.

Are you going to Wings 'n Wheels in Chicopee? I'm going to try and get out there.

Too bad about MassCar ... I'm new and was thinking (fantasizing) about taking part someday ... oh well ... I'm not that good anyway

It is unfortunate, Mike. In simple language, we don't have enough people to do the show anymore.

However, all is not lost!

MassCar's treasurer, working with a friend of his, will continue the vendor show/swapmeet, and they will be sponsoring an NNL-style "model cruise," with 4-6 people's choice awards.Personally, I think it'll still be a lot of fun, and I hope you'll consider coming.

Don't forget Classic Plastic's show in Lawrence, too.

Hopefully, I'll see you this weekend in Chicopee.

Charlie Larkin

• 1 month later...