Model Cars Magazine Forum

brake duct hose

blackbeard

Responses like this don't add any value to a conversation.

he asked a question i answered it, now if he had asked "anyone know where I can find model brake duct hoses" or something like that i wouldn't have answered with this answer because it wouldn't answer his question

I may not have this 100%, trial and error is the key.

I have read if you take thin gauge wire and wrap it around something that is the diameter of the duct you want tightly, so there is no space between the wire, pull it off and get it to the shape and length you want. then coat the outside with Elmer's glue and paint it whatever color you want. I have never done it myself Henry, but have seen it and it looks great. just takes time.

Another option is to wrap wire evenly around a pencil. Spread the wire so the loops are similar distance. Wrap the wire with bare metal foil. You may need to wrap the pencil with wax paper before you wrap it with wire.

I've used the same method of wrapping wire around something and then wrapping it with Teflon (thread seal) tape used for plumbing. It's real thin and adheres to itself, but this only works if you want white ducting as it won't take paint. I haven't seen it in other colors. The advantage is a little more flexibility than the shrink wrap.

very good garage sale find a couple of years ago - saw some long springs from a gundam kit at a garage sale - very lexible and very finely wound - very convincing as a brake hose. Couldn't tell that they were just a spring from a foot away...

Perhaps there are parts packs for gundam kits???

I may not have this 100%, trial and error is the key.

I have read if you take thin gauge wire and wrap it around something that is the diameter of the duct you want tightly, so there is no space between the wire, pull it off and get it to the shape and length you want. then coat the outside with Elmer's glue and paint it whatever color you want. I have never done it myself Henry, but have seen it and it looks great. just takes time.

Henry, I have used the method that tubbs mentioned. Here is the trial fitting. I used some metal wire that I had handy.

DSC00204-vi.jpg

And here it is finished,

DSC00282-vi.jpg

DSC00377-vi.jpg

Henry, I have used the method that tubbs mentioned. Here is the trial fitting. I used some metal wire that I had handy.

DSC00204-vi.jpg

And here it is finished,

DSC00282-vi.jpg

DSC00377-vi.jpg

John, i still have not found the tube over all the great details on that engine. i will keep looking. just spectacular.....