Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just a "Nit" to pick: "Cobra" VS "Mustang"

There's no such thing. There was a '69 Ford Cobra. It was built on the same body as the Fairlane and Torino, but it was NOT a Fairlane or Torino. It was just a Cobra.

Sure there is. Google "torino cobra"... the '70 is one of the coolest cars from that era.

http://www.torinocobra.com/

Edited by johnbuzzed

You're right, of course, but I've always thought of the mid-engined P-39 as "Airacobra" and forgot entirely about the P-63 Kingcobra derivative. :)

P39-Airacobra-04-500x270.jpg

That same company- Bell Aircraft- built the AH-1 Cobra and it's variants, as well as the UH-1 and it's variants, too. It's too bad that such a cool looking aircraft turned out to be such a pig, not living up to the role for which it was intended.

That same company- Bell Aircraft- built the AH-1 Cobra and it's variants, as well as the UH-1 and it's variants, too. It's too bad that such a cool looking aircraft turned out to be such a pig, not living up to the role for which it was intended.

The Soviets loved those birds, they made great ground attack aircraft!

P-39_Airacobra_2006-06-15.jpg

pinto005.jpg

Bought a brand new 1978 Mustang King Cobra right off the delivery truck in 78. Never thought for one second that it was a Cobra. It was a fancy Mustang, nothing more. It was a cool car however. IMO

I agree Ray, very cool and sharp mustangs.

Spider/Spyder is a European name for the convertible body style.

Isn't "Spyder" more correctly a term for what we in the US called a roadster? The most common term decades ago, in Europe, for a convertible (as in folding top with roll up side glass) was Cabriolet.

Art

My understanding is Carroll Shelby built the Cobra but Ford owned the name. After some years of not producing Cobras the name was coming up for free use again and most car manufactures wanted it. Ford unwilling to let it go slapped in on a Mustang and once again they are producing Cobras and the name is safe with them. This was right in the time frame Carroll was working with Dodge and I think there might have been a Dodge Cobra concept car. Carroll did try to get the Cobra name for Chrysler.

When I was teaching, back in the '70's , my students often referred to these as "Cobras" . So I had my work cut out for me. :lol:

ford-mustang-ii-cobra-ii-8.jpg It does say "Cobra" on the side. :huh:190242ulgrf8ijpg.jpg I can see how they may get a little confused, though. :o

Just as an aside, the 4th edition of Petersen's Complete Ford Book had this interesting article...

P9304327_zpsw2ylxvz2.jpg

...given the backdrop of emissions standards and fuel shortages they end the article with ' there are new concepts of automobiles...to find one bearing the name 'Cobra ll'.. is a lasting monument ... as long as its owner remembers what it once was and contemplates on what it now must be.'

mike

Edited by mk11

Just as an aside, the 4th edition of Petersen's Complete Ford Book had this interesting article...

P9304327_zpsw2ylxvz2.jpg

...given the backdrop of emissions standards and fuel shortages they end the article with ' there are new concepts of automobiles...to find one bearing the name 'Cobra ll'.. is a lasting monument ... as long as its owner remembers what it once was and contemplates on what it now must be.'

mike

Believe it or not, I had that book out just last week and reread that very article!