Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volkswagon type 2 hot rod "Shorty"

cobraman

It's coming along very nicely, but for my 2 cents the frame looks to long, the engine should hang mount in front of the front tires to suck them back closer to the body, being the rear toes closer to the wheel wells, shorten the bed and give the body some rounded edges. This style of vehicle is a more or there almost a cartoon, the body lines on the bus are to straight which throws everything off a bit and the wheel well being so far in front of the wheels takes all the flow away.

You lengthen the wheel wells a bit on the body pull the body back closer to the rear end of the frame and shorten the front this would allow you to retain more of the bed and keep it all flowing. Drop the front of the cab down a bit while raising the rear a little and reshape it be a little more bubbly.

Just my thoughts not sure if you'll like them or if you know how to make all that happen. (I say this last part only because I have no clue how to do all things I just suggested.)

Maybe you need a different chassis. Something longer.

But then would it still be a shorty ?

Well yes the VW bed is cut short. The difference between the Vett and the truck is you cut the nose and front wheel area of the Vette. The VW truck has two front wheel areas that's not over any tires and the rear does not have an opening for the rear slicks.. You could get another VW body and cut it over or build a longer frame.

Thanks guys. I made some headway on this thing. If you have ever followed any of my builds or have seen my finished models you will note that I never paint anything in other than gloss paints. This one will be that exception. I used flat paints because I didn't think that this one would look better if it was done glossy. Seemed to be the type of build that cried out for dull paint. Probably will finish it up early next week. Going out of town this weekend so this little VW will have to wait. Thanks to all that have made suggestions on how to finish it or improve it.

tinytruck10001_zpsb7d5e47f.jpg

tinytruck10002_zpsd48dc58a.jpg