Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Beaumont convertible

Can-Con

I built this car about 10 years ago so some may be familiar with it but with the Chevelle kit I based it on being reissued I thought I'd repost it.

The body is from the '70s "countdown series" issue of the kit. The front grille and header between the hood and grille came with the MCG photoetch kit as did all the script and some small details. I made the taillights myself and cast them in resin. I also modified the kit hood to be the standard flat hood.

I used the dash from the Monogram '69 GTO as Beaumonts used Pontiac dashes. Even though the kit is 1/25 and the dash is supposed to be 1/24, it was almost the right size and a touch narrow, needed shims to fit the interior bucket. I also cast copies of the GTO arm rests for the door panels. The kit seats were a bit bland so I cut the sew pattern from one and grafted it into a seat from the AMY '68 elCamino and cast a couple copies of it.

I used the chassis from the AMT '69 Olds 442 under it with the Pontiac Rally II wheels from the 1st issue of the Monogram '39 Chevy sedan delivery. A bit large but I was going for a "17 look. I cut the inner wheelwells from the chassis and used the underhood area from the '69 elCamino as some of the the Chevy and Olds underhood details are not the same. IIRC, the Elky firewall was set up with A/C details so I sanded them off the added a standard heater box. A/C was an extremely rare option on Beaumonts .

The engine was a 454 I had left over from a '70 Monte Carlo I had built earlier. I added "BEAUMONT" script and a couple fins to the valve covers and made a modern TPI unit for it modified from the one in the AMT '70 Chevelle kit.

I think that about covers is but if there's any questions, please ask.

133_3383-vi.jpg

133_3381-vi.jpg

133_3378-vi.jpg

133_3376-vi.jpg

Nice job....it's interesting to see the differences between the US and Canadian versions.

Thanks for re-posting.

Don't know what you mean there Mike. There was no US version of the Beaumont that I know of but I understand a few were built in South America.

Don't know what you mean there Mike. There was no US version of the Beaumont that I know of but I understand a few were built in South America.

I imagine he meant the difference between the Chevelle & the Beaumont as the Beaumont was basically a Chevelle in Pontiac clothing. :)

I've always found it interesting how a lot of Canadian cars were a "mish-mash" of different models back then.

The "Plodges" from the late 50s & early 60s were always interesting to me. Basically a Dodge with a Plymouth front clip & interior.

Steve

11cf50d366d4674ba7a61d6610d27c48_zpsjgxz

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Sorry guys, just pulling your legs, I know what was meant. ;)

Thing is, a lot of people think a Beaumont [or Acadian} is a "Canadian Chevelle", which is is not. We had 2 plants making Chevelles here in Canada and aside from the ID plate on the cowl saying "Made in Canada" I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Here's a pic of my uncle Arnold's '66 300 sedan. it was made in Canada and as you can see, looks just like a U.S. made 300 sedan.

IMG_1453-vi.jpg

It would me more correct to say a Beaumont is a "Canadian Tempest" or LeMans as even though there's nothing officially saying they were Pontiacs on the cars or any official paperwork associated with the cars, they filled the mid-size Pontiac notch at the dealerships in Canada until 1970 model year when actual Lemans were available.

Beautiful build and conversion. You said you cast some of the parts, have any left overs? A buddy of mine, his father in law has a 69 hard top, I have been half heartedly looking for conversion parts to make a replica of his car. Any help woud be appreciated, thanks.