Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blasts from '60s Past - Nordberg's models (3/7/16: Photo links fixed)

The rest of the emailed photos I received. Bob Nordberg had quite a range of building styles. Corrections to my guesses on details are welcome, along with any additional info of where these models might have been published and helpful tips of what's seen in the photos.

Red chopped roof '32 (?) Ford

At least from the length of the rear side windows and some other details, this can't be the Revell Orange Crate kit.
Red_chopped_32.thumb.jpg.46795bcb6a903b0

Front engine VW bug

red_front_engine_VW_Bug.thumb.jpg.b76646

Nationwide Dodge Sales Charger
56de6f9b89513_rwb_Charger_1.thumb.jpg.cf

I assume this one has a chassis, as there seemed to be at least one loose dragster engine seen in one of the photos I received. Among all the photos, there was a different one of the "Dog Catcher", with the back of the Charger seen there.
56de6fa3512b9_rwb_Charger_2.thumb.jpg.20

#9 Charger NASCAR

Notice the larger scale wheels in the background. I have no idea what those go to.

_9_67_Charger_NASCAR.thumb.jpg.f054b5152

IMC Lola T-70

IMC_Green_Lola_T-70.thumb.jpg.0a044fe513

6 models

I can at least guess that the far one is a Ford J-car, there's another T-70 in the lower left, and the stakebed might be a modded version of one of those early black plastic AMT kits, but what is the red & yellow thing on the far right?
6_models.thumb.jpg.713da2962288de74db1df

Edited by Russell C

The red/yellow car is an IMC Cougar II. The tilt-up-body '32 Ford looks like an AMT Victoria, at least as the starting point. The C-cab T is notan out-of-the-box build; the cab looks like it is modified from the roadster body with sheet plastic.

6 models

I can at least guess that the far one is a Ford J-car, there's another T-70 in the lower left, and the stakebed might be a modded version of one of those early black plastic AMT kits, but what is the red & yellow thing on the far right?

gallery_12144_1298_125581.jpg

The Red and White Car in the lower left is the rear of the AMT Elva-McLaren.

The red/yellow car is an IMC Cougar II. ....

The Red and White Car in the lower left is the rear of the AMT Elva-McLaren.

Aha, I thought the roof looked Ford Mustang-ish, but I never looked carefully at that old IMC Cougar II (Christian Boyer had a nice rebuild/redesign of one here at MCM in 2013). Looks like Nordberg filled in the pop-up headlights & grille and put quad lights in and an engine that needed some kind of hood venting.

Yep, too quick of a guess about the red & white being a Lola, it is clearly an AMT Elva-McLaren from the pipe things happening toward the front of the deck, as seen in a thread about one of those here earlier in the year. White styrene tires, too.

Looks like the VW has MPC tires, but what are the wheels from?

They are from one of the MPC Jeep kits. I'm pretty certain the Universal Dune Buggy (Jeep) had them; that's the one that had plastic "swamp" tires with wraparound tread pieces made of molded vinyl. I think there was another MPC Jeep kit with them too; I've got a built stock-looking one with those wheels as well as a set I got on a plated tree in a "parts box" deal.

They are from one of the MPC Jeep kits. I'm pretty certain the Universal Dune Buggy (Jeep) had them; that's the one that had plastic "swamp" tires with wraparound tread pieces made of molded vinyl. I think there was another MPC Jeep kit with them too; I've got a built stock-looking one with those wheels as well as a set I got on a plated tree in a "parts box" deal.

Thanks, you're right the wheels are in my Universal Dune Buggy. In my kit those wheels are meant to wear the same hollow Goodyears used on the VW shown above. With that in mind, did he put the VW body on the MPC Jeep chassis? That front axle looks like it might be MPC Jeep, and the engine looks like it might be that kit's ex-Buick V-6 too.

I haven't seen the "swamp" tires you're describing. Didn't MPC have a Jeep kit with Swamp in it's name in the late '60s? Maybe they were in that kit?

It does look like the VW body is on a Jeep chassis. At first I thought the engine might be a 289 Ford stuck into the IMC drag version chassis, but the front suspension looks like parallel leaf springs. The engine is probably a Buick/Kaiser Jeep V6.

I've probably got my Jeep kits mixed up. The one with the swamp tires probably had "swamp" in the name. I remember that one having an alligator decal on the sides, with the gator's tail looping over the rear wheel opening. The built one I have must be the Universal; I'm pretty sure it has the hollow Goodyear tires on it.

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of Mark Gustavson last night, his latest photo of Bob Nordberg's Ford cabover shortly after he unpacked it. He says "While the model has come apart a bit, there only broken part is the front spindle that allowed the front right tire to depart -- the rest of the parts just came loose." He will be taking studio-style shots of this one and the others of the Nordberg collection that were donated to the International Model Car Museum by Nordberg's son. Mark reminded me to say "this model shared the top adult honors, with Augie Hiscano, in the second Revell-Pactra contest (1964) and that I will be restoring the model for the Museum. The whole acquisition, and this model in particular, will be featured in the 2015 Museum newsletter. [ ... ] -- we have an identical display case for the Nordberg model."

What Mark means by that last bit is that Nordberg's model arrived at the Museum with the original Revell-Pactra display bubble that was part of the 1964 award, which was partially seen in the photo in my first post by Nordberg's son. At the Museum now, Augie Hiscano's winning model is displayed in its original bubble display, seen at the middle left of the photo below, from a Facebook photo link out of Brizio's 2015 Museum photo thread.

Mark also wanted me to remind you-all that Richard Mike Johnson's Pegasus model, winner of the first 1963 Revell-Pactra contest is also at the Museum - seen in the upper right of Brizio's photo. So, that whole display will soon have even more old amazing model history within it.

Brizios_Museum_pic.thumb.jpg.67e317180e5

Edited by Russell C

Those Hollow MPC tires were in the K&K Insurance Charger Daytona for rear tires.

I had 3 of that kit so remember that detail.

Fronts were Street G70 Goodyears!!!

ALL 4 should have been Identical!!!

I believe on other of the 70's MPC nascar kits had those tires, as die the Indy cars of that time

STP Turbine Wedge & Olsenite Eagle (Again I have 1 each, uyer's Choise STP Wedge & Original Olsenite)

so can check

I think these were also the Hollow Baloney Tires offered as a mail in order on some Instruction sheets from then too

There are 2 sizes the Wides on the Bug, and naorrower ones that MPC/AMT used on there 80's Annual Chevy pickups

(Kits Not Promos)

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately, all of the gallery photos I put in still have busted links from the point where MCMForums here upgraded the site. I could re-post 'em, a bit of a chore, but I'm hoping Gregg's impending site update resurrects the photo links instead. Meanwhile, the news from Mark Gustavson is that he is possibly tapping a particularly skilled restorer to put Bob Nordberg's cabover back together, and he sent this photo which shows the truck as it is now, with a better view of the front than what I had as the prior photo. Wouldn't take much to reassemble it, but one has to be mindful that it is a famous one-of-a-kind from over 50 years ago, and one doesn't just glue it back together in one evening.

Nordberg Coe SLC 3.JPG

Edited by Russell C

Yep thats it , it was on usa ebay and i was outbid .

Could you sign in to your "My ebay" and look under the Bids/Offers and its Didn't Win section and - if it was recent enough - snag the item number for the auction? Sometimes those stick around for a month or two where we can see the photos in the original listing.

sure looks like two different builds to me. .......

....i did pinch the photo's of the truck when i first started bidding .

Yes, indeed, this second one is the same one spotted by Steve Gilmore in his 2013 "Weird Cabover" thread, and I'd have to guess that somebody way back when decided to do a fairly decent clone of the Bob Nordberg model - a bit less shiny, a bit more crude, but interesting nonetheless. Thanks for snagging those photos!