Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID #163 FINISHED!

There is no way you'd get this one unless you already knew what it was. The styling screams Zagato, the furniture and fittings are pretty obviously Japanese (and it is right hand drive). No combination of "ugly","Japanese" or "Zagato" searches threw up any clues. I'm on holiday in Normandy and I've blown a fortune on roaming charges without getting near it. The most frustrating thing was as soon as I read "Stelvio" it all came back to me. The information is all in there somewhere, but it's getting increasingly difficult to retrieve it.

Best wishes,

David

...without wanting to sound smug (OK, maybe a bit... ;-P) it just screamed "80s Zagato" at me, and I Googled "1980s Zagato design" and there it was. It does look a lot like his Aston Martin project of the same era (in all the BAAAD ways). The thing that gets me is that this was a SERIOUSLY expensive car, and it looks, just.... horrible.

;-P

bestest,

M.

I thought of searching for "single-vent wheel". If I had, I would have found the thing.

I searched for JDM, and coachbuilt. Unforuntately, I did not search for them in the same search. "JDM coachbuilt coupe" finds it.

By the time I thought of those, I had already timed out on my self imposed limit, and had used reverse-image-lookup (i.e. threw in the towel, called it my loss) to prevent me from wasting any more time looking for it.

I have a old magazine with some pictures of a red one. That car had the rearview mirrors inside that carenage on the hood, even tough some of them had actual cameras there, transmitting images to a small screen on the dash. What was kind of odd, and one could fit a proper technicolor camera on that hood "eyebrows". Other than that detail, the car is not that ugly. Want to see something really ugly, google Gurgel X-15. That thing is ugly at square.

...without wanting to sound smug (OK, maybe a bit... ;-P) it just screamed "80s Zagato" at me, and I Googled "1980s Zagato design" and there it was. It does look a lot like his Aston Martin project of the same era (in all the BAAAD ways). The thing that gets me is that this was a SERIOUSLY expensive car, and it looks, just.... horrible.

;-P

bestest,

M.

That's pretty much how I found it too, as I explained to Harry early on. It definitely looked Italian to me, and reminded me of some of the Zagato design work done in the early '90s. I image-searched '90 and '91 Zagato, and there it was in all its horribleness.

Hard to believe they built 200 of these things, supposedly.