Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

Only kidding sorry. I'm new to the forum and reading this topic just gets me exited about all the great models being re-issued from round 2 I am open for every model and the retro box art wow can't get enough. Unfortunately my wallet isn't as open as me. But I think I can still get a few of them. I found great interest in this topic of upcoming releases . I just want to say thank you and thank you to round 2 .

Regarding the 69 Barracuda, it would be great if they would open up the closed gates in the tool to see what is there. I would buy a couple if they included the slant 6 from the original issue. Granted the chassis has the molded in dual exhaust that wouldn't be appropriate for the slant option. I build shelf models so it doesn't matter to me, the more advanced builders I am sure would fab their own exhaust system.

Some pics of the original 1969 instructions along with pics of the 1969 and 1988 chrome trees. You may notice the layout changed, the stock rims have been moved and some other items re arranged. The arrow is pointing to the slant 6 air cleaner. Also, if you look  at the lower RS corner of both trees you will see the racing mirrors and license plates.

The 69 tree has the plates engraved with 1969, the 1988 tree has no engraving. In the photo with both trees, the 1988 issue is the one above the 1969 issue.

I wonder if Round2 realizes the potential for increased sales if they would open up the tooling and see what is there.

100_5300-crop.thumb.JPG.de74c54540164aed100_5303-crop.thumb.JPG.b8a6ae3d5a75b476

100_5306-crop.thumb.JPG.7142cf42594b4732100_5305-crop.thumb.JPG.194f43f61973de92

I would like it if Round 2 backdated the 69 Barracuda to a 68 instead of reissue the 69 another time, it has been out a gazillion times the last 30 years.

We can all wish for Round2 to back date some of their kits but it probably will never happen.

Instead of reissuing these kits as they were, how about some new goodies like they did with the 36 Ford, 66 Mustang, 37 Chevy and others.

For the 69 Barracuda I'd suggest the following; wide steelies with factory Plymouth dog dishes, red line wide oval type tires, dual stock chrome side view mirrors, rear view mirror, decals for the instrument panel, dealer invoice window  sticker decal, under hood decals for air cleaner and so on. I'm sure there are other items that could be added to update a 46 year old tool.

The tools have probably been paid for many times over. A few dollars spent on some new "goodies" would probably make more people buy an updated reissue instead of a reissue with the same old parts. I already have two older issues but would most likely buy one if they added some new parts/decals.

The tools have probably been paid for many times over. 

a common misconception. Remember that Round 2 only bought the company a few years ago. So all that tooling is heavily mortgaged and must be worked to earn it's weight! 

That may be the case Tom. If they spent a few dollars to upgrade with new parts, decals and tires they will probably have increased sales and be able  to "pay off that mortgage" sooner.

I have bought the reissued 36 Ford (2), 37 Chevy (2), 40 Ford coupe (1), 32 Viky (1) because of the newly added parts.

I already had (6) 36 Fords,(4) 37 Chevys, (7) 40 Ford coupes, and (2) 32 Vikys.. Did I really need the reissues? Bought them because of the new parts, tires and decals.

Edited by VW93

At one time, I thought AMT was going to do a few mods to its older tools to up sales, like tooling up clear headlights to replace chrome ones.  I have a few copies of almost every kit AMT/MPC has put out since I jumped back into the hobby in the late Eighties.  I need to see a reason to buy a new one.  Except for a few desired kits (1972 GMC truck, 1984 GMC, Mack R and Transtar II, along with the Paystars and Autocars)  most of the kits AMT can reissue are already a dime a dozen.  Some new (or rare old) parts and improvements would really set them apart and give people a reason to buy the reissues for full price.  One of the most noticeable improvements (And fairly easy compared to re engineering chassis, motors etc...) they can make is to spruce up the headlights and taillights on the cars where they are currently chrome.  That, along with some really obvious fixes ('65 Galaxie taillights, '69 Chevelle rear end) would make their repops much more desirable.  I would probably be more inclined to pick up a kit with some fixes or new parts.  

I am guessing the original '69 Barracuda had a HEMI and slant six, and now it has a wedge 383?

My feeling is that you will never see an all new kit from Round2, or a heavily modified reissue. Retro boxes and restored parts are about what I expect.

At least the 70's version of the 69 Barracuda had an A-990 Super Stock Hemi, I believe it came when MPC did the Super Stock cars.
But the only NHRA "legal" year for an A-body Barracuda (and Dart) with a Hemi in Super Stock is 1968 as it's the only year the 426 Hemi is classified in the A-body.
That's why I would like them to backdate the 69 to a 68.

Edited by Force

My feeling is that you will never see an all new kit from Round2, or a heavily modified reissue. Retro boxes and restored parts are about what I expect.

Not so much in the car areas, but they have touched on sci-fi and figure stuff a bit.

Their main business is in re-releases and they must be doing OK on it.  They have stepped up the game on tires and decals, which is more than some other companies are doing on those fronts.

Edited by hpiguy

At least the 70's version of the 69 Barracuda had an A-990 Super Stock Hemi, I believe it came when MPC did the Super Stock cars.
But the only NHRA "legal" year for an A-body Barracuda (and Dart) with a Hemi in Super Stock is 1968 as it's the only year the 426 Hemi is classified in the A-body.

I'm pretty sure I've seen pics of S&M's '68 Hemicuda with a '69 nose on it. I guess NHRA didn't care too much about the "updating" back in the day. Interesting.

Edited by Snake45

I'm pretty sure I've seen pics of S&M's '68 Hemicuda with a '69 nose on it. I guess NHRA didn't care too much about the "updating" back in the day. Interesting.

They may have been running it in Pro Stock at the time ('69 or '70).  Some of the Super Stock Hemi cars (Darts and Barracudas) got retrimmed as 1969 cars, a couple of Darts even got reskinned as 1970 cars.

As for the Barracuda kit, several casters offered '68 grille/header panel/taillight conversions for it years ago.  The Miss Mighty Mopar issue body had 1968 side markers on it, as did the street machine issues after that, up until Ertl reworked it back to the stock '69 383 car.

I don't think NHRA were that picky back then, but today the only year classified are 1968, that's why you don't see any other model year in the SS/H and SS/AH class.
I have the Killer Cuda issue from 1978 and it has 68 side markers on it but the 69 front, hood and rear panel, and yes there are resin conversion kits to do a 68 but I prefer styrene.
Revell did the 68 Hemi Dart and it would be nice to be able to do a 68 Hemi Barracuda to go with it.

Edited by Force

There was no Pro Stock in 1969. 1970 was the first year, and I don't believe S&M ever ran any 2nd Gen Barracuda in Pro Stock--they went right to the '70 model. (Plymouth wasn't that interested in firing up sales interest in used cars.)

I did a quick google-image search and found several photos of the S&M 2nd Gen Barracuda (hemi) with a '69 nose on it. But in every one (possibly all shot at the same event), it had injectors and was running B/Gas. Maybe that's what I was thinking of.

Edited by Snake45

I am guessing the original '69 Barracuda had a HEMI and slant six, and now it has a wedge 383?

The new Challengers were new tooling....as is the 69 Dodge Charger snap kit. 

Yes....I'd like to see more.....some....new tooling. But they have such an extensive library of tooling....not sure I could justify new tooling if I was in charge. 

There is still a lot of gold in that mine.

Let Moebius know what you want in scale.  

The MPC '67-69 Barracuda annuals had a 383 and a slant 6, I believe.   The street machine issues in the 80s had Hemis, and then they put a 383 back in sometime in the 90s IIRC.

Edited by Rob Hall

no, the annuals  from 67, 68, and 69 had the slant 6 and a hemi.........after that, the hemi was included without the six, until the late 80s when the hemi was dumped for the 383 wedge............the ace..........-_-

Edited by AC Norton
size

no, the annuals  from 67, 68, and 69 had the slant 6 and a hemi.........after that, the hemi was included without the six, until the late 80s when the hemi was dumped for the 383 wedge............the ace..........-_-

I wasn't sure..I have an AMT-boxed '67 annual and a built '69 MPC-boxed annual in my stash, but couldn't recall what engines they had.

The MPC '67-69 Barracuda annuals had a 383 and a slant 6, I believe.   The street machine issues in the 80s had Hemis, and then they put a 383 back in sometime in the 90s IIRC.

The '67 Barracuda came out in an AMT box. I don't know if AMT or MPC did the tooling, but from 1968 on the Barracudas were from MPC. (JoHan did other Plymouths, for some reason.)