Model Cars Magazine Forum

Complete: 1974 Chevrolet Caprice

Zoom Zoom

This one's about done...it might look a bit different at Birmingham on Saturday, aka "Donk for a day", but otherwise the stock variation is finished. This thing is like a '70's flaming disco ball Barcalounger :D

Fun restoration, paint is Testors mixed to match Lime Yellow w/a medium green top/interior. Bumpers stripped and redone w/Spaz Stix chrome, looks pretty good. BMF is a PITA, even my new sheet has a bunch of cracks, but not as bad as my old sheet. Side mirror from parts box, MCCM plate from an old show. I may still do some headlight paint detail.

In progress thread:

Progress thread

Finished pics:

IMG_3398-vi.jpg

IMG_3399-vi.jpg

IMG_3400-vi.jpg

IMG_3401-vi.jpg

IMG_3414-vi.jpg

Bob,

It looks wonderful, but you overlooked one thing. The "A" pillars on the '71-'76 GM cars were stainless. Not covered with vinyl material, as moulded in the kit.

2007_0623gmatcarlisle20070125.jpg

1974Impala3.jpg

By the way, this is what I have planned for my '74. My mom had one when I was in high school.

Thanks Ron, I had managed to miss that detail in the few reference photos I have! I'll take care of it tomorrow when I attempt to figure out a reasonable one-day-solution to the Donk category at B'ham. If I had a second '74 I'd definitely build the car your Mom had! That's a great looking Impala. Can't wait to see your take on it!

• 2 years later...

Boy Howdy, now there's a post dredged up from 'way back.

I agree, nice build, Bob, even if you missed the A pillar. Oh, and whilest picking nits, I noticed a tad of reflection from the seat & headrest. Gee, should velour 'shine'? LOL. Seriously, beautiful period ride.

Boy Howdy, now there's a post dredged up from 'way back.

I agree, nice build, Bob, even if you missed the A pillar. Oh, and whilest picking nits, I noticed a tad of reflection from the seat & headrest. Gee, should velour 'shine'? LOL. Seriously, beautiful period ride.

Thanks!

What did I mess up on the A-pillar? I looked at photos of real cars, so I think it's close...:mellow:

Seats were sprayed w/semigloss clear so they'd look like that very fine vinyl from GM. I remember it well in my Aunt's '73 Impala...

I'm glad it got dredged up, and I like it. Another great piece of work Bob.

Do you remember off hand what you used for the green in the interior?

Charlie Larkin

Thanks! I'm pretty sure it's Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green, overcoated w/decanted Tamiya Semigloss Clear lacquer spray to make it look like vinyl.

I love these big cars from the 70's,I didn't care too much for them then but I love em now.

I love to watch movies from the 70's that have all these kind of cars in them.

The color combo is indicative of the era,you did a nice job.

The whole A-pillar should be foiled, no color between the window trim. I thought you had changed that Bob.

CRS is a wonderful thing :unsure:

You have better memory than I do. I did fix it. The only photo I have of the fix, though, is in the original form that I showed this model, aka "Donk for a day" for the B'ham NNL a few years ago.

IMG_3415-vi.jpg

For some reason all the stock photos show the wrong A pillar chrome. Oh well...at least it's correct now :(