Model Cars Magazine Forum

July 4th Build Off! - finish them yet?

Jantrix

Painting in progress.

20150703_093307.jpg

20150703_093221.jpg

Been working on the tires and wheels between paint coats.

I'm using a parts box mix of front tires from, I believe the newer Charger kit and the rear from the 99 Chevy Silverado custom. Wheels are Revell customs from somewhere. Got the brake rotors in a trade a while back.

20150703_095312.jpg

Time to spray another coat.

Later-

Some custom grill and bumper work. Will have aluminum hood fixtures, tail pipes exiting the bumpers and have added a '54 Chevy grill bar. The holes in the grill will be for amber bullet turn signal indicators. Will back the whole thing with a flat black mesh. Heading for primer very shortly.

20150703_125243_zps8ttm0w3p.jpg

Looking good guys

Rob,... Custom work!!! Brave man

Paint is flyin'!

IMG_4745%20600x450_zpspixfh281.jpg

Wow these AMT kits have flash, spent the morning scraping, sanding, filling and scraping, and sanding, and.....

Taking a dog walk break

Model on

Cheers all

Edited by Belugawrx

Looking good Bruce. I went for a walk with the dog and my wife this morning. Then we tried to work on the sprinkler system.

Been a busy day here. My 11 yr old nephew came by for an hour or so. I had him help me paint the brake rotors so that I wouldn't ignore him. I explained painting techniques to him. Then we sprayed all of the wasps in the barn and around the house.

My daughter is due here in about 45 min to make cookies. Just keeping the weekend fun while building.

Here is what it looks like now. Quite a bit of cap in the paint but I'm not worrying about it. Got the second coat of clear on.

20150703_112354.jpg

Let's see your progress guys.

Later-

Here is my w.i.p. so far on the '04 Pontiac GTO. I started today around 11:00 I think. I have changed my mind on body color 3 times I believe, and have settled for MM Acryl True Blue Pearl, over silver basecoat. Going with the acryl so hopefully by Sunday I can handle the body for assembly. I am shooting for a mild custom look, all polished engine with color accents. Two tone interior. Kit is being done totally box stock, and for a snap tite kit, it really is not bad. Wheels will be black chrome. Thats it for now, back to the bench. Sean.post-11743-0-66861800-1435962082_thumb.jpost-11743-0-93550400-1435962124_thumb.jpost-11743-0-89816800-1435962189_thumb.jpost-11743-0-34580200-1435962228_thumb.jpost-11743-0-67116100-1435962277_thumb.j

I'm on to painting the exhaust. Got the engine block painted Canary yellow and just coated the old decals with Future for safety's sake. If they don't come out good I'll scrap them.

Interior is going to be Canary yellow and white. Shouldn't be hard to see this one in a crowd.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Some great work going on guys.

I got some work done on the Road Runner this evening. Body has been primed and the interior parts and underside have had a coat of satin black.

DSCF6755%20640x480_zpsnhuopkwx.jpgDSCF6754%20640x480_zpsdmjh7fpq.jpgDSCF6753%20640x480_zps2ygy2chc.jpg

The engine needed some filler on the oil pan but after that's sorted out it'll be ready for paint. I'm thinking of metallic blue for the body.

Edited by TimJ

Not a Milk of Magnesia bottle. Way too small It was a perfume It says Bourjois on the bottom. It was a perfume made from the 20's to 1960 called "Evening in Paris" according to the World Wide Innertube.

Well, time for a short break from the bench.

Later-

Well, my amazing wife served dinner that the bench tonight. I'm gonna have to spoil the heck out of her next weekend to make up for this.

20150703_182347_zpsy6x2zypi.jpg

I'm done for the evening.

Body is primed. Engine is in the works. Lot's of work getting the ride height. I'd be a lot further along if I wasn't set on getting it low. See you guys tomorrow.

20150703_202044_zpsn4oxjlj1.jpg

20150703_202004_zpscii5sd3l.jpg

20150703_201958_zpsdrac2xn2.jpg

Kinda of big jump. I'm painting everything I can with rattle can. The body, interior and most of chassis is painted.

20150703_171751_zpslntkkjdd.jpg

The under carriage and under hood is flat black. The interior is semi gloss and the chassis parts are gloss black.

20150703_175259_zpslwn3zvon.jpg

The under side I tried to do some factory overspray. I think it turned out ok.

20150703_175314_zpsb9mpynck.jpg

I'm gonna lay down the decals then clear the body next.

Well too many kits that have been started and close to being painted to start another project. Have 2 AMT 1968 Roadrunners that have been started - one is pro street and the other has a stock chassis. Have gotten the engines glued together today and the rear axles assembled. Next up is to paint the chassis satin black and get the bodies painted.

Well too many kits that have been started and close to being painted to start another project. Have 2 AMT 1968 Roadrunners that have been started - one is pro street and the other has a stock chassis. Have gotten the engines glued together today and the rear axles assembled. Next up is to paint the chassis satin black and get the bodies painted.

I'm not going to be able to make this build. Things just got more complicated. She's still okay, but I will be tied up the whole weekend.

Family takes precedent over modeling. Spending the time with your mother is important. Both my folks passed away several years ago dad in 2002 and mom in 2011. I've always treasured the time I spent with them.

Okay...we had company today. Since my wife is still recovering, we didn't do a barbecue thing, but went to a nice local place with a patio. Had a great early dinner in fantastic weather. They left around 8pm, and I hit the model room around 9pm, just finishing up now.

I'm working on the Meyers Manx. All I got done was to get everything off the trees, cleaned up and sorted. I had hoped to get some priming done, but it's too late to crank up the spray booth.

I am using the street tires and the Cragars, a disappointment is that the edge of these wheels are screwed up by the attachment points being right there. It's beyond the point of having to carefully trim, there's actually a swelling of plastic under the chrome on the face of the edge. So I've sanded them all flat and round. In the morning I will figure out if I want to try a quick shot of Alclad or if I will BMF the wheel edge.

I'm behind right now, but with rain forecast for tomorrow, I may get in some bench time.