Model Cars Magazine Forum

What grit do you sand primer to before applying color coats?

Think the title says it all - i am using dupli-color perfect match scratch filler primer and a little putty and sanding it smooth but:

What grit do you sand primer to before applying color coats?

I am starting at 320 for the putty and primer but what should I take it down to?

I think you'll be fine with 800-1000 grit ( wet or dry, wet being the better alternative ?) The issue, BEFORE, you start/add colour coats, would be to seal your final primer coats, after sanding ) From experience, putties, any type really, tend to shrink over time & in some cases become visible through the colour coats, especially true for "ghosting"... Areas where mold lines or emblems etc have been sanded off. Sealing will ensure that none of these problems will become visible through your colour coats, especially if you're using any type of automotive paints ( Duplicolor etc ) Hope this helps ??

Edited by Hemified71

Personally, I have used 6000-grit polishing cloth from Micromesh for as long as those polishing kits have been in circulation. As I tend to use lacquer primers, this gives me a satin-finish surface, which is, in scale, about as close as I would come to a wet-sanded primer surface on a real car body.

Seldom have I ever had paint, either lacquer or even Testor's/Model Master enamels, thinned for airbrushing with lacquer thinner fail to adhere to such a surface-and in the bargain, I get a far smoother, thinner finish straight from the airbrush, requiring a lot less polishing to get a shine.

Art

I think you'll be fine with 800-1000 grit ( wet or dry, wet being the better alternative ) The issue, BEFORE, you start/add colour coats, would be to seal your final primer coats, after sanding ) From experience, putties, any type really, tend to shrink over time & in some cases become visible through the colour coats, especially true for "ghosting"... Areas where mold lines or emblems etc have been sanded off. Sealing will ensure that none of these problems will become visible through your colour coats, especially if you're using any type of automotive paints ( Duplicolor etc ) Hope this helps

What do you seal it with?