Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you mix epoxy putty?

You would mix it 50/50 just like any other epoxy. I like to use Popsicle sticks to mix it (sold in packs) and apply it, or some kind of metal stirrer that can be cleaned off. Lacquer thinner should take off any excess, but I wouldn't thin it down with anything------you'll change the properties and it won't work as well. Getting it on your fingers shouldn't be a problem if you're using something else to apply it.

I've used it to attach brass to plastic for instance and it does work very well! ;)

Frank you can buy the cheap paper plates to mix it on or any other scrap piece of paper or cardboard (small thin boxes) . I use a homemade metal stir stick made from a piece of the thick banding strap from work. You could even go to a garage sale and pick up an old butter spoon if you like the shape, if not get the grinder out.

I mix the stuff up on magazine subscription cards (always have PLENTY of those around!), and mix it with toothpicks, which I also use for application. I don't mix more than I need, and I never touch the product. When I'm done, the whole mess--card, toothpicks, and small amount of leftover epoxy--go right into the trash.

What I like to use for all epoxies(putty or glue), I get from my local hardware store. I bought a couple of cheap 4"X4" white ceramic tiles. They have a nonporous surface and a little acetone will clean anything right off. I use single edged razors to mix with. That way you can scrape the surface and get a good through mix. By the way, when I am gluing with a thick super glue, I put a drop or two on the tile and use a piece of wire held in a hemostat to apply the glue. Very controlled and if the glue sets on the tile, a single edged razor followed by some acetone will clean it right off.

Edited by Pete J.

Ok .. similar to many but I just cut up cardboard boxes from products that have a glossy printed surface. This keeps the epoxy/glues from seeping into bare cardboard or paper. I use them till full them replace. Cut any size that suits you or your bench.

What I like to use for all epoxies(putty or glue), I get from my local hardware store. I bought a couple of cheap 4"X4" white ceramic tiles. They have a nonporous surface and a little acetone will clean anything right off. I use single edged razors to mix with. That way you can scrape the surface and get a good through mix. By the way, when I am gluing with a thick super glue, I put a drop or two on the tile and use a piece of wire held in a hemostat to apply the glue. Very controlled and if the glue sets on the tile, a single edged razor followed by some acetone will clean it right off.

I'm going to have to try this! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I use those credit cards that banks send you in the mail hoping you will sign up. I think the plastic works better than cardboard. It seems the cardboard draws the moisture out of the epoxies.

They are also great as applicators to spread putty and epoxie.

JB Weld makes a number of different products and several types of epoxy putty. Unfortuntely, JB Weld doesn't seem to show instructions ont their web site but there are youtube videos on the web.

Not sure which one you are using... so this may not apply

Some types of epoxy putty can be worked with water - no need to check the calendar, it's not April 1 - but check the instructions on the package

Milliput, Plumbers A+B and others can be worked with water and will even cure underwater. Just have a small disposable cup of room temerature water at you work area. Dip your fingers in the water to mix the epoxy putty. Apply it to a prefearably dry surface to get it to stick. The putty can be worked and molded with a wet fingertip. You want more than damp but not submerged. It's also a lot easier to mold the putty before it cures than to sand it down after it dries. The water keeps the epoxy from sticking to your fingers - some will stick of course but not like working with it dry.