Model Cars Magazine Forum

H.O. trains

b-body fan

I've had Lionel trains back in the 50's and then built two HO layouts in the 60's. Since then no trains 'til my grandson was born and now I'm back to Lionel. This Christmas he'll be chompin at the bit to control the speed, as last year he was blowin' the horn, ringin' the bells, activating the conductor shouts, etc. He'll only be two years old at Christmas. I'm hopin to get 30 more pieces of track as there's a layout I want to do when the tree comes down.

H.O. scale high octane? I have a ton of track, buildings , and dio stuff. My kids lost interest and I kinda did too. Was looking at it yesterday. That's what got me thinking about it. I'm about ready to put it all on eBay. I just don't know if I have the heart to yet.

I did HO eons ago, lost it all, then started acquiring interesting pieces again a few years back. For whatever reason, I don't need to be as "prototypically correct" with trains, so it could possibly be a more relaxing hobby for me to return to in the future.

In the back of my mind, I have an old locomotive and rolling stock graveyard layout envisioned, with a restoration shop in the middle of it, loosely based on the Lima engine works. It would let me mix time-period equipment plausibly, and allow shiny-new and rusty-crusty as well. Roundhouse, lots of switching, turntable...yeah, I like the idea.

Getting the mechanical and engineering details right on the car models can drive me quite crazy sometimes...just like building real ones. ;)

I grew up around and on the New Haven Railroad, so I have a love of trains from all those experiences. I've always been interested in HO Model Layouts but never had the space or time to build one. I knew it would take over my life if I ever started. My son was given an HO Train Set for one birthday and we set it up a few times but he never got too interested. I ended up painting the engine and some boxcars in New Haven colors and got some weathering practice early before going back to model cars. The trains are all in my son's house waiting for my grandsons to take their turn with them.

NHP5280015.jpg

I've got a Tyco HO scale Bicentennial train set, a few extra railroad cars, a Tyco slot racing set, and a couple of crossover sections to cross the train track over the racing track (those were discontinued not long after I bought them, and always seemed to be hard to find). I've collected HO scale slot cars too...nothing rare or valuable, just trying to get one of each brand and type (Aurora, Tyco, Atlas, Bachmann, Lionel, etc). I never did get a Faller HO car. Got everything except a place to set it up! I've had the train track and race track set up on a 4' x 8' table...should try to find a place to set it up again.

Dave,that diner is fantastic!!! What scale is it and scratchbuilt or kit??

Thanks

It is a bash of a 'kit'. I say bash as the kit has 4 walls and a roof.....nothing else. I shortened it about 6 scale feet and made the foundation, roof details and interior, signs etc. LED lighting is hidden. It is 1/48 scale and will be in my downtown section which will be about 8 x 16 feet of just city.....to show off cars of the era and buildings. Thanks

I suspect the closest I'll ever get to a layout, is the finishing of my Revell 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, and perhaps some 1:35 German WWII armored train segments. When I was a kid, I use to check out copies of Model Railroader from the local library all the time. I've loved trains since I was just a pup.

I have N scale stuff just sitting in my basement wait for someday. Even with N scale I really don't have room for a decent layout. I have started to think about selling my stuff. But, love trains. And have the fantasy of see my Great Northern Empire Buiders running on decent track layout someday.

Scott

I have N scale stuff just sitting in my basement wait for someday. Even with N scale I really don't have room for a decent layout. I have started to think about selling my stuff. But, love trains. And have the fantasy of see my Great Northern Empire Buiders running on decent track layout someday.

Scott

I have seen some great N scale layouts built on those cheap interior doors....3' x 6.5' .....sturdy and easy to move or stand on end during down time. $20 locally.....

Growing up in Colorado - I started modeling HOn3 back when I was a teen and did so for 30 some years.  I disassembled my layout and sold everything off due to failing eyesight and not so steady hands.

I did reinvest the proceeds into On30 stuff but have yet to do anything with it.

P8190079.jpg

Had a HO set when I was a kid. Got back into the hobby when I was around 20 and bought a N scale set and it grew from there. Now that my wife and I have bought a house I can build a layout as well as my model building room. I also have all of my dads C&NW HO stuff. Might keep an engine or two as well as the passenger set and sell the rest since I'm into a smaller scale and RR.