Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freightliner FLD 120 on the bench

I got lucky and found an Itelari Freightliner FLD 120 at the last model show. Picked it up for $20. I've been building for a while but fairly new to the commercial side of modeling. After finishing my Lone Star the truck bug bit me so I decided to start this one. After some research on Freightliners of that year it seemed the kit motor mostly resembled a Cummins N14 so that's what I went with. 

When it comes to car builds I plumb and wire them as much as I can to look real (within reason). That said I want to dress up this engine as best I could for a first try. It's not 100% accurate to the one that was in one of my trucks or pics from the web, but it's better than nothing. Considering one engine half was warped, cracked and bent I'm happy with how it came out.

20150725_205713.jpg

20150725_205722.jpg

20150725_205740.jpg

Got her up on her own 9 feet....should be 10, but alas a tire is missing from the kit. 

The steering in the kit is awesome in that not only is it functional but all the steering system to the gear box is functional. The chassis is a metalic/gunmetal color and the suspension components are black....Har do see the difference from the photo. 

Working on finding body colors that will help the chassis color show better. 

Currently working on the interior pieces and will don't he cab next until I get a chance to go and buy a set of Moebius wheel and tires to make up for the missing piece.

20150726_191635.jpg

20150726_191603.jpg

Edited by Christopher J

Italeri took a shortcut (as they often do) and added a few new parts to the Cummins NTC engine they already had and wants us to belive it's a N14, so it's unfortunately neither a correct NTC nor a N14.
The N14 is based on the old NTC 855 cui engine (855 cui equals 14 litres) but the N14 has more squared valve covers wich were available in both steel and cast aluminum depending on version, and the valve covers in the kits looks like the older NTC, most N14's also have an electronically controlled diesel pump.

Edited by Force

A fellow builder is going to send me a couple of tires so it looks I may be in the clear. Otherwise I would change them all out to have it look semi correct.

Worked on the bunk a bit last night and started painting some interior parts for the cab as well as sanding down/filling the glue joints on the hood and primer on the exterior. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to relocate the stacks to the rear of the sleeper or leave them on the sides. Also gave the battery box and tanks the Easy Off treatment to remove the chrome. Will try and get pics this evening of progress.

Got a little more done. Cab interior pieces are painted and trimmed. I shaved down the wipers and used some photo etch ones. The headliner and floor are textured/carpeted using embossing powder. I made templates of the lower panels and the floorboard decal from my Line Star. The decals were then followed with Walthers decal solution.

20150729_231207.jpg

20150729_231708.jpg

20150730_224026.jpg

Did some painting on the body tonight. While waiting on that to start to set up I did a little interior work. I remembered I had some unused figures from one of my Fujumi garage diorama kits and decided to mock up the interior and try one for fit. The steering column is missing so I'll be going through the parts boxes looking for something I can use and make one. Also considering modding the steering wheel as the kit one is incorrect. 

20150730_224016.jpg

Edited by Christopher J

Very nice progress.  I like all the detailing you're putting into this.  If you're going to use that driver, you might consider doing some mods to him as well.  It looks like he is staring at the instrument panel & not out the windshield (or he might just be taking a nap while waiting to be unloaded).

Just curious, what's wrong with the kit steering wheel?

Very nice progress.  I like all the detailing you're putting into this.  If you're going to use that driver, you might consider doing some mods to him as well.  It looks like he is staring at the instrument panel & not out the windshield (or he might just be taking a nap while waiting to be unloaded).

Just curious, what's wrong with the kit steering wheel?

The steering wheel that comes with the kit is three spokes. Kind of reminds me of some from the late 70's. The FLD had a two spoke wheel. 

It's looking great, so far....Very nice work, and I like the color choice, too....."No surprise, there".....The interior looks awesome, as does the driver figure....Great job....I like what you've done with the engine, as well.....Cool....And it looks like you've added seat backs to the seats, too...Always wanted to do that......Looking great.....

Thanks to all for replies and compliments. After several passes through my parts boxes and misc bowls of pieces I found a gear box with the linkage on it. I cut that down to length leaving the "knuckle" on it. The 3 spokes were removed and replaced with the center of a 58 Chevy Impala wheel and bits of plastruct. I used the remains of cut pins for the turn signal and trolly brake. It now looks (to me anyway) like a custom FLD wheel. The figure is glued in and arm glue points slightly modified to widen out his hold. 

@kilrathy10, yes the seat back were filled, felt they'd look better that even though they nearly touch the back of the cab wall.

Waiting on the exterior to dry a day or so before handling it Soni can mask off for the other color and do some trim work.

20150804_202807.jpg

Making progress.... foil work is done for most what I want to appear as chrome or polished stainless on the cab. Most everything has been hit with two to three coats of clear lacquer and so far setting up nicely. I decided I wanted a mural on the back of the sleeper so went through my stash I have acquired for low rider builds and found one I thought fit the bill. I used a wet q-tip to work out trapped air then hit it with Walthers setting solution. After it dried I hit it with a touch of clear to protect it.

2015-08-08 00.58.37.jpg

2015-08-08 00.57.23.jpg