Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1965 Plymouth Satellite news

Bill that makes the front of the top look better but since I made that commit I noticed that the rear of the top is arched also. It is a shame that a model company will show you a test shot and not listen to commits unless you are telling them how great it is. I have been waiting for someone to do that kit for years and I bought a case [16 kits] and I am sick over it. I plan to take the top off of a Johan kit it is just a shame that you pay a big price for a kit and then have to take another 40.00 just for the top. I really think Moebius makes the best kits you can buy but they missed the boat on this one. I have been modeling for over 50 years and am a pretty good scratch builder but I think the only way you can fix this top is to cut it off and throw it away. Elvin

Edited by mredjr

Thanks, Gerry.  Just didn't know.  :mellow:

No PROB!  I'm guessing you're in Arizona by your location :) so clubs in Chicago area are less likely to be known.  There are 3 clubs in the Chicago area and one in Southern Wisconsin that interact a lot.  GTR is one.

Make that TWO clubs in southern Wisconsin Gerry, the AMG club and the S.L.A.M. club.

The windshield is not correct on the Lindberg either Plymouth or Dodge. Another problem with the New Moebius kits Plymouth and Ford trucks is flush mounted windshields that don't fit.  

Edited by mredjr

I have been waiting for someone to do that kit for years and I bought a case [16 kits] and I am sick over it. I plan to take the top off of a Johan kit it is just a shame that you pay a big price for a kit and then have to take another 40.00 just for the top. I really think Moebius makes the best kits you can buy but they missed the boat on this one.

You bought a case of 16 kits based on a test shot ?, Perhaps its just me but wouldnt it have made more sense to buy just the one kit and check it out first before buying a case of them?, that way you could check it out and if it really did dissapoint you as much as you say then you wouldnt have to buy any more of them.

Dont get me wrong I can understand dissapointments and inacuracies in kits but I like to physically have the kit in my hands before I make that decision.

I personally love the fact we have a 65 Satellite kit, to my eye I cant really see the major roof issues but then Ive never seen one of these cars in the flesh so I cant really say its right or wrong. But its certainly no revell Fox mustang type roof issue. Or is it ? :unsure:

Anyone compare it w/ the Lindberg '64 Belvedere roof? 

Yes, the Lindberg Plymouth roof is noticeably too short.   I looked at the P/L Coronet too, it's better then the Lindberg kit. 

IMHO.  nobody got the B-body Hardtop roof 100 % correct.   

Steve

Mr Stock you are wright but I ws looking a Moebius past of top quaility kits and axpected no less with the 65 Plymouth. I will do just as you said in the future. I have had a few friends to take some off my hands and I am glad that we have it and plan to build a couple myself. I just think that it does not cost any more to get it right. SteveG you are right all kits have there problems but some of the problems are easer to fix than others and some are easer to live with.

Mr Stock you are wright but I ws looking a Moebius past of top quaility kits and axpected no less with the 65 Plymouth. I will do just as you said in the future. I have had a few friends to take some off my hands and I am glad that we have it and plan to build a couple myself. I just think that it does not cost any more to get it right. SteveG you are right all kits have there problems but some of the problems are easer to fix than others and some are easer to live with.

That's a fair point Elvin

I wonder how it compares to the AMT (MPC tooling) 65 Coronet... mine is stashed away so I can't get it out and compare it easily.   

A full comparo with the AMT '65 Coronet body is part of my 53 pictures and captions on-line preview of this kit.... see it at http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/new-moebius-65-plym/ or use http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/new-moebius-65-plym/new-moebius-65-plym/   It also includes a comparison with the JoHan '64 Fury body.  (I did not include a comparison of the Polar Lights '65 Coronet as in my view that body has some accuracy issues - primarily the treatment of the main side character line which is not accurate to the 1/1 car).  If you are not familar with Fotki, click on the "Roll" button to see the images and captions in a continuous presentation.  DSC 0460

Hope this helps...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I'd look a little sooner at the P/L Coronet greenhouse than at the Lindberg '64's - that latter is pretty sweet to build, but it has its own pretty obvious accuracy issues (a beltline kink at the C-pillars? Really?)

In fairness, even with its quirks, the Moebius kit really appears to be the best recently-tooled stab at a Chrysler B-body of this vintage.  There's some nice design and engineering here - really admire the sharpness of the tires, the treatment of the headlights, front grille, and supporting sheetmetal; the general interface between floor pan, interior and body shell - and the inaccuracies are such that they shouldn't take a huge amount of effort to fix. 

Should we have to? Y'all know where I stand on that.  But in relative terms, for the resources Moebius has available to them, their auto kits are definitely trending in the right direction if this Satellite is any indication.  Really looking forward to the promised drag versions.

How about cutting off just the leading edge of whichever roof is better (say P/L?) and replacing just that part of the new Satellite roof?

That sounds insane to have to do something like that to correct a manufacturer's screw up on a new tool...

I got my '65 Satellite yesterday and started on it. I am pretty impressed on how it's going together, however, I have not decided if I am going to "fix" the windshield header. I talked with Bill Geary at our club meeting yesterday, and he explained how he intends to fix his. In my estimation, the roof edge has to come down approximately 1/16" to be correct. I have not decided on a color combination. but I am also considering a convertible conversion. I may do a simultaneous build with my '64 Fury restoration, which is in primer, depicting someone who had bought a '64 Fury, but decided on having bucket seats, so they bought an identically equipped '65 to get them. Just a thought.

One word of caution if one wants to go the route of heating up the windshield header and flattening it like I did. When the time comes to wash the body, DO NOT wash the body in hot water!

The plastic still has the memory of how it was molded, and the arch will return once it's heated up. Better to wash the body in cold to lukewarm water to avoid this. ;)

Also, one will have to VERY CAREFULLY file down the windshield itself to get the glass to fit------not much, but enough to get it to fit well.

This car has me so intrigued, this might be my next build once cooler weather sets in again, and I can finish the Mustang.

Just too dang hot in my model work room lately to do anything!  :angry: