Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits gone at WalMart again

The one store I went into every so often only had six or eight different kits, nothing special.  Lately, every time I go into that store, I walk out wondering why I went there...that's probably why the visits have tapered off considerably.

The Michaels craft store chain appears to have reset their model kit section...smaller than before, most Round 2 kits gone, most Revell glue kits also gone, replaced in large part by Revell snap kits.  They're still good for paint, embossing powder, craft wire, airbrush jars, and all sorts of other stuff though.

....I envy my u.s. friends here, because at least you have several stores that sometimes have kits in stock.....up here in the not so great north....you buy 'em at the LHS for stupid money, or use Ebay and pay too......wish I had your choices, boys................the ace.............:huh:

Seems to be a store by store thing.

I went in one Walmart while out of town, and they had moved all their the models (not many) to a clearance shelf.

The same day at the Walmart near me the whole store has been rearranged, but while the small model section has been moved it still occupies the one 4 foot section it has always had, nothing on clearance.

The Michaels by me reset their models, added a few new ones, moved a few to clearance but no change in size.

Not good for much but impulse buys, but 40-50% off makes those impulses harder to resist.

The Ellsworth WalMart, in its original location, had a pretty good model section, I'd say about 8 feet. They moved to the new store probably 6 years ago.

Off and on, they had some models. Then, they disappeared, then showed up in the clearance section, disappeared again... then a Revell '68 Beetle turned up in the diecast section, and after I bought that, I haven't seen any others.

Walmart is the most astute and calculating retailer in the world.  They know exactly how much every linear foot of shelf space makes in profit.  If an item doesn't live up to a minimum, it's gone.   And that's why there aren't models there.  They just don't turn around quick enough and for a big enough profit.  There's always something more profitable to put on that shelf!

I too noticed that my local Michaels shrunk the model section.  Maybe a year ago it went down to 2/3, with a section between  Revell/Monogram on one side and Round 2 on the other was filled with cheap carded junk toys.  Now the other 1/3 is gone and that cheap toy area is expanded.  Lesson, that stuff must be more profitable.  Could it be a big overuse of the 40% off coupon on models?   Maybe so!

Walmart is the most astute and calculating retailer in the world.  They know exactly how much every linear foot of shelf space makes in profit.  If an item doesn't live up to a minimum, it's gone.   And that's why there aren't models there.  They just don't turn around quick enough and for a big enough profit.  There's always something more profitable to put on that shelf!

I too noticed that my local Michaels shrunk the model section.  Maybe a year ago it went down to 2/3, with a section between  Revell/Monogram on one side and Round 2 on the other was filled with cheap carded junk toys.  Now the other 1/3 is gone and that cheap toy area is expanded.  Lesson, that stuff must be more profitable.  Could it be a big overuse of the 40% off coupon on models?   Maybe so!

Michaels 40% off coupon is good for any non-sale item in the store. I know model car guys are cheap, but I doubt those coupons are only buying models.

And? What my local walmart had wasn't that good either. They had nothing new or exciting! All was like 2012-2013 reissues and other stuff. Countless of dukes of hazard cop cars, monogram cobras and mustangs that aren't good, and many snap kits with occasionally a semi. I had talked to a manager at my local Walmart before on why they stopped, and apparently in my area young kids (mid-high school) was stealing the glue and paints to get high. I've even seen a few huff in the store, and immediately told a employee. That stuff isn't cool at all! But I guess that's what I get for living in a cruddy area.....

From my experiences at Playing Mantis (Johnny Lightning), Walmart (and the other Big Box outfits as well) began downsizing their toy departments after the 1993 Christmas selling season, to make way (those stores are limited in size, BTW) to make way for other merchandise lines that would turn over faster, be more profitable.  Most are perhaps unaware anymore that 9/11, in many ways burst a lot of bubbles in retailing for the holiday season.  The toy industry (and like it or not, to those retailers, model kits are toys!) took a major hit in 2001, and '02 & '03 were in many ways just as dismal.    Think of it this way:  Model car kits take up a lot more cubic feet of selling space than say, hooks of blister carded stuff---a dozen or more bubble-packed toys can fit on a pegboard hook, and turn faster than the 4-6 model kits that take up the same amount of space.  As Tom has so wisely reminded--Walmart et.al. have little sympathy where issues of inventory turnover are concerned.

However, there is an upside:  Losing the big box store market forced model companies to get going, develop new products that while pricier, are more the model cars we get excited about today.  Most of the more esoteric models seen from US model companies likely would never have seen the light of day, were their industry so dominated by mass merchandisers as it was for a few decades in the not-to-distant past.

Art

I really wish they would do the clearanceing on the other stuff instead  :huh:

Rick, Tom has a great point. I have learned over the years if you see something at Walmart you have to buy it when you see it because they are always changing thier shelves. Nothing hardly stays the same long. Looks like models are on the way out...

I think we are seeing the conversion to if not all at least a large percent,online shopping. I don't really like this kind of purchases and paying shipping costs but it looks   like its in our near future. 

I noticed Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot and some of the other stores having a good selection of merchandise online but not stocked in the stores.

I do look for free shipping to stores.

I think we are seeing the conversion to if not all at least a large percent,online shopping. I don't really like this kind of purchases and paying shipping costs but it looks   like its in our near future. 

I noticed Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot and some of the other stores having a good selection of merchandise online but not stocked in the stores.

I do look for free shipping to stores.

That very much does seem to be the case. I tried to buy some cabinet hinges at Home Depot awhile back. They had a very small selection in the store, but online they have a huge selection and will ship to store for free. Strangely they can't or won't order the same items for you while you are standing in the store, you have to go home and get on the computer.