Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shocking news!

Ok, I don't want to scare anyone! Are you sitting down?? Today at 12:30 PM, I, Ben Wicker............actually finished a model!! It's true!!

For anyone thinking of getting one of these, there are two upgrades I recommend. First, the main bearing in the drill is plastic, it can be replaced with an actual sealed bearing from the RC car co. Traxxas, part number 4611.

Also, in order to use really small drill bits, you'll need to get the Dremel collet, part number 483

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ben

Ok, I don't want to scare anyone! Are you sitting down?? Today at 12:30 PM, I, Ben Wicker............actually finished a model!! It's true!!

For anyone thinking of getting one of these, there are two upgrades I recommend. First, the main bearing in the drill is plastic, it can be replaced with an actual sealed bearing from the RC car co. Traxxas, part number 4611.

Also, in order to use really small drill bits, you'll need to get the Dremel collet, part number 483

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Once again, the forum's reply box sent me off to some neverland site. Anyway, does this drill have a speed control or is it right for plastic to begin with?

Edited by sjordan2

Theres no speed control, only off or on. It is geared very low though, perfect for plastic!

again, the forum's reply box sent me off to some neverland site. Anyway, does this drill have a speed control or is it right for plastic to begin with?

That's great news. Above is the ancient Exacto brand battery power drill I've used for most of my adult building career. I never use a pin vice, I use this baby for lots of modeling tasks.  I don't know what I'd do without it, so I'll be getting one of these Tamiya tools to see if I like the hand position better.

Other than just the fun of building it. Does it have any advantage over a Dremel?

The way it's held I imagine...

When I'm using either a Dremel or a motorized pen device like an etcher, I always get cramps in my hands because of the angle I have to hold it and the constant force that needs to be applied for a smooth drill. With this I could drill with a steady push and get a nice, quick, and smooth hole pretty easily.

Looks like I'll be picking one up soon.

LOL, my buddies always tease me cause I have 10,000 projects that I have started but I never finish anything. I proved them wrong today! LOL

LOL....I hear ya.i have a difficult time to, finishing.and the at least that many projects going.I know the feeling.