Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galaxie Limited 1947 Chevy Coupe

Gregg

I like it Gregg,

Agreed, it is now on my gotta build list. Chopping the roof on this will be easy it is a turret top, refer to Tex Smith's book "How To Chop Tops".

again thanks Gregg for the build up.

Edited by carnut

Moebius is doing runs in excess of 5,000 pieces. Just the MK '69 was 6,000 kits alone. Also one of our local plastic pushers is carrying it for $35.

ok..and Galaxie is doing too few to get the  volume "discount" price Moebius pays for the developement/production of their kits?

Edited by mike 51

ok..and Galaxie is doing too few to get the  volume "discount" price Moebius pays for the developement/production of their kits?

That's probably part of it, and the other part is Gary is trying to raise capital.

Price aside, these kits are selling very well, and might end up with an extended-beyond-planned run to meet demand, even at the price. 

According to Model Roundup's newsletter that came this past week, Gary is actively considering doing the '41s so many of us (me included) have been clamoring for, and that will be a substantial investment in tooling, as a new front-end ensemble, chrome trees and interiors will be required. 

That said, that '41 Sport Coupe is a beautiful car, and I look forward to having a model of a car that I can use such an un-PC color as "Indian Suntan" on....

Charlie Larkin

You know all those wish list discussions we see here? From what I understand the guy behind Galaxie is basically just a guy who decided to put up or shut up about a car he wanted as a kit. It is a very small company without all the industry ties of a more established company so everything costs more from design and production to shipping and distribution.

People should really look at these kits as high quality resin that just happen to be made from plastic, nobody would bat an eye at the price if this was a resin kit, in fact it would be thought of as a great bargain.

Moebius and many others go to China now for molding, printing and packaging.  China charges much less.
Galaxie LTD started in Korea during 1998 because that is where Tamiya and Fujimi were going for the best and cheapest molding processes.

That was then, this is 16 years later and moving the molds to China would be more expensive than simply going with Korea and the same manufacturers (quality) as in 1998.  Management felt it was the best alternative.

Really nice build in such a short time.

Beautiful paint, how did you get it dry enough to polish in 1 day? and what kind is it?

Next touch up would be chrome trunk hinges?

I tried to do the hinges, but I too shaky. Twice already.

Maybe later.

Have the windows down to a "science" but that's another story.

Really nice build in such a short time.

Beautiful paint, how did you get it dry enough to polish in 1 day? and what kind is it?

Next touch up would be chrome trunk hinges?

Wish I could build like that in three days.  I'm also curious what you used for primer, undercoat (if any), paint and clear.  

Wish I could build like that in three days.  I'm also curious what you used for primer, undercoat (if any), paint and clear.  

Paint is ScaleFinishes.com, a new Lexus red color. Primer was first automotive primer/filler, then Tamiya grey, then Tamiya Titanium Gold, then the red. Clear is the two-part lung killer automotive urethane clear, that friend Pete gave me new activator for, a hotter one. Dried overnight, actually, was two hours, but I have found that if I keep my hands off it for at least a day, I won't get any marks, fingerprints, or dents in clear that way. I have sprayed and touched within two hours, but have to be so careful, which I can't be anymore. GravityColors has some great paints also, and they have made me happy by releasing my favorite red: Mazda Soul Red. No, haven't received any yet... 

Looks great Gregg! Beautiful paint. Did you add the valve stems, or were they molded in? 

They are molded in, yes, I should have detail painted them. Car is put together with white glue (Formula 560) so I can always rebuild/recycle my builds. The whitewalls are inserts, which is cool, there are drag slicks for the Coupe that have the cutouts for whitewalls also. Thought I had a pic of parts tree. 

PartsCoupe.thumb.jpg.0c10dcc638cab7b3e9a

Man Gregg, thanks for the photo of the parts layout. I going to have to get probably 2 of these, build one as an old school chopped custom.

I know the front grill looks flat which is workable I am wondering about the front edge of the trunk line, is it correct? It looks a bit curved to me. I am not trying to stir up trouble here, just curious.

thanks again to all who had their hand in putting this out.

I see that the packaging problem with the chassis hasn't been solved yet, it's nothing really serious, but around half, or a little more, of the ones I've opened, or sold and had returned have at least one of the rear bumper brackets broken, it seems strange, because it's always a rear one. This would seem to me to be a packaging thing since it's so consistent about being only the rear brackets involved.

• 5 years later...

I just saw this model.  I know it's an old post, but I just had to comment.  It looks great!  The paintwork is really great.  The chrome work is beautiful.  I used to see these when I was a kid, many years ago.  I remember thinking that they looked futuristic back then.  Thanks for the memories!  Keep building please!!

I'm a huge fan of these kits and was surprised to see this old kit review pop up. I reread this and see where many are questioning the moldings on the glass. My opinion is that this represents the metal interior moldings that were used around the window openings and help secure the interior panels and the head liner. I agree that while these are a little pricy they are actually not for the level of detail and the parts finish. My only wish now is that I bought more of them back when I thought they cost to much. I did the Aero Sedan a couple of years ago and have the Delivery and a Coupe  to build yet. 

IMG_1412.JPG